News Tyson Stengle caught drink driving

What penalty do you think the club should apply?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the one and only time the 'big stars' stuck up for the little guy ;)

Not really. If they'd stuck up for the "little guy" they would have enforced a tiered system. Ie for players on $100k or under, its a maximum $1000 fine, but for a player on $1M+a, its a maximum $10k fine.

As it is, $5k is a tap on the wrist for Patrick Dangerfield, its a drop in the ocean, but for a rookie listed player on $60-70k, that's a big deal. Especially when also facing fines from the Police.

The Sydney COLA was a similar example, albeit the other way round. They cried poor when they lost it, despite the fact that it most benefited their stars as it was paid as a % of salary, because apparently Buddy and Kurt needed an extra $100k a year, whereas Joe Blow on the rookie list only needed an extra $6k a year to live in Sydney :rolleyes:

I’d give that a thumbs down 👎

Just publicly acknowledge he f’ed up and is being punished and leave it that.

It doesn’t make him a bad person. He just made a really poor decision.

Agreed. The club clearly still hasn't got the memo regarding its public messaging.

WRT Tyson, stupid and dangerous decision and he should be penalised as per the law. However, I think we get too hung up on trying these guys a second time from a football perspective, which I don't think is right. Slap them with a small fine, make them do some extra community service, but lets leave it at that and move on. He didn't rock up drunk to training, he didn't miss training. He made a mistake, broke the law and got caught and will be punished by the relevant authorities. Lets not destroy his career because of one stupid mistake, the AFL wouldn't have any good players if we did that.

Now if he avoided punishment because he is a footballer, that's something different.

Not trying hard at all. The bloke did an offense over the long weekend and he will be dealt with a penalty.

The club reported it 1 week later instead of a few days later - this is hardly worth a debate in light of the footy season being almost a write-off and most of the people in the country (not just Port and Crows supporters) are focusing more on the pandemic situation. On the timing of the report, I give it a "debacle score" of 1/10, relative to current other debacles going on.
All the more reason the club should have reported it straight away. More of the same from a cynical administration.

All the more reason the club should have reported it straight away. More of the same from a cynical administration.

When it comes to something like this, I am the other way.

Seeing it is a fringe player, I would much rather see this not be reported, have whatever punishment dealt with quietly by the club (I.e. a bit of extra community service, small suspension etc) but for the most part, let the law handle it.

I would only report to the media until when they are stars or holding leadership positions at the club. Anything where you could legitmately argue they are role models to anyone that isn't family.

That's probably about right.

Personally, I don't think things need to be rushed out to the media. They can find out when the right process has been gone through.

Keep a tight focused playing group and be hard but fair. No good bloke discounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably about right.

Personally, I don't think things need to be rushed out to the media. They can find out when the right process has been gone through.

Keep a tight focused playing group and be hard but fair. No good bloke discounts.
Nice to have you with us Jamo

So Hunter crashes into 4 cars when drunk and flees scene: 4 weeks.
Tyson blows over while in unregistered vehicle: 4 weeks.
Bit harsh on our side of things.
No we got it right & Bulldogs went soft on Hunter who was very lucky not to kill anyone.

Eh, can live with that. Would have only liked 2 so we can get a proper look at Stengle earlier, but he should be back into the side the first week he's available.

Though, of course, he has left the door open and all it takes is a hot streak from someone like Murphy to shut it for a year.

Eh, can live with that. Would have only liked 2 so we can get a proper look at Stengle earlier, but he should be back into the side the first week he's available.

Though, of course, he has left the door open and all it takes is a hot streak from someone like Murphy to shut it for a year.
Murphy looked good in round one too

4 games sends a really strong message. Ignore the crap in the media AFC - great job..

Back