Free Agency Tyson Stengle (DFA) to Geelong

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
That's great and all, but it still doesn't change what I posted.

Hail Mary implies desperation on Geelong's part and almost no chance of success. History suggests plenty of players make big mistakes when they're young, he showed more than "stuff all" at Adelaide and giving up nothing for him doesn't suggest desperation from Geelong. We just thought he was a better option than pick 60+.

He might instantly improve Geelong. He might eventually improve Geelong. Or he might not make it. But it's not a hail Mary.

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Hail Mary implies desperation on Geelong's part and almost no chance of success. History suggests plenty of players make big mistakes when they're young, he showed more than "stuff all" at Adelaide and giving up nothing for him doesn't suggest desperation from Geelong. We just thought he was a better option than pick 60+.

He might instantly improve Geelong. He might eventually improve Geelong. Or he might not make it. But it's not a hail Mary.

I just disagree, which is fine :thumbsu:

I think it's a fairly big hail mary. Stengle is hardly plug and play and instantly improves Geelong as some are making out on BF, he only played 14 games across two years for Adelaide who were basically terrible and did stuff all really. His off-field issues (the ones we know of at least) are well documented too obviously. Needs to get ripping fit.

Hopefully he goes well, but I'm glad my club stayed away.
He doesn't have to be elite to improve us. Higgins out Stengle in is a big improvement, Dahlhaus out Stengle in nearly as big.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
He doesn't have to be elite to improve us. Higgins out Stengle in is a big improvement, Dahlhaus out Stengle in nearly as big.
Higgins and Dahlhaus still on your list? topping up their retirement funds

Stengle would want to improve on what he did with us, I never rated him, and as for continuous dickhead off field decisions!

Good luck, he is free to list and probably not many $

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Happy with this..we need a goalkicking small fwd and hopefully he can put his off field issues behibd him..for only a list spot its worth doing.

He has been fabulous for the Geelong Footy Club and Vice Versa (having his mentor Eddie Betts at the Cattery would help too)

Really enjoy watching him thrive at his new home.

Love to be proven wrong but don’t believe it till he’s kicked at least 30 in a season
Well I think you've been proven wrong.
I think it's a fairly big hail mary. Stengle is hardly plug and play and instantly improves Geelong as some are making out on BF, he only played 14 games across two years for Adelaide who were basically terrible and did stuff all really. His off-field issues (the ones we know of at least) are well documented too obviously. Needs to get ripping fit.

Hopefully he goes well, but I'm glad my club stayed away.
Still have the same line of thought?

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
What a pick-up, and what credit to Tyson for just delivering awesomeness beyond maybe anybody's hopes and dreams. 37 goals already and not just goals alone, but a valuable mid-field link-man who can play high and deep with his leg-speed and smarts. And for a small bloke (172 cm), he's a solid mark and pretty strong over the ball too. His elevation helped (along with Holmes, Close, Atkins, Z.Guthrie and Miers) Geelong become a much faster and dangerous team. He's heading for a goal tally that rivals the likes of Chappy and Stevie J in Geelong's pomp, just such a fantastic player and all kudos to him for making such a go of his chance with the Cats.

I don't think the crows had much choice. They set him boundaries and he breached them. His on field attributes were not material to the decision.

Now that he's living with Eddie and not partying with Crouch he might be a viable player again. Or not. Will be fun finding out
Epilogue: it was indeed fun finding out

Love to be proven wrong but don’t believe it till he’s kicked at least 30 in a season
Screenshot_20220807-193052_AFL.jpg

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
AA award for his awesome season, and kudos to Tyson for delivering a magical season so far. A great story and just fantastic to see, yep anyone can do dumb stuff as a youngster, and i am sure he's learned his lesson, indeed he showed that with a great year in the SANFL last season. But to step into Geelong's side and actually significantly improve not just himself but the entire side, it's been brilliant. Amazing result as a delisted free agent, indeed he becomes the first such person to win an AA blazer. Well done Tyson!

Back