Roast Tyson Stengle sacked after ******* up again

Remove this Banner Ad

So... pretty much the only thing I got wrong, way back earlier in the thread, was that he would be allowed to play SANFL - whereas I said he'd only be allowed to play ammos (because I didn't think they'd want him playing against a Crows team). I think there are a few people who owe me apologies...

Here's the section from the current AFL Player Rules document, which describes the Delisting of Players

I was previously operating under the assumption that we wouldn't be able to delist him before 31 October, as per clause a). If the club has obtained the permission of the AFL General Counsel, then all bets are off.
Have we actually "terminated his Standard Playing Contract for cause" with the settlement? Which would mean clause (c) comes into effect.

(c) Each Club must immediately delist a Player who has terminated his Standard Playing Contract for cause.

gfycat-com-bob-loblaw-arrested-splendidposhgardensnake-e-gif.1079053

Last edited:

Have we actually "terminated his Standard Playing Contract for cause" with the settlement? Which would mean clause (c) comes into effect.

(c) Each Club must immediately delist a Player who has terminated his Standard Playing Contract for cause.

I think that clause refers to when a player terminates his contract, not the club. In this case, I wonder if the club offered "stay on the list, but no AFL games (or indeed SANFL, for the Crows) in 2021" and Stengle said no to that - which is him terminating, not us.

So the sticking spot was Tyson wanted to play AFL this season for the Crows whereas the club would only keep him on the list if he was prepared to play for the Eagles and prove himself throughout 2021 to be reinstated to the playing group in 2022. So the ball was firmly in Tyson and his management's court.

I don't think the club's actions from what Adam Kelly just said are unreasonable.

Now that I've seen this, I'm less pissed off at the club and actually think Stengle might genuinely be a bad egg.

So... pretty much the only thing I got wrong, way back earlier in the thread, was that he would be allowed to play SANFL - whereas I said he'd only be allowed to play ammos (because I didn't think they'd want him playing against a Crows team). I think there are a few people who owe me apologies...

Sorry that you were almost right.

I don't blame Stengle rejecting it. It was a ridiculous offer which they wanted him to reject. They wanted him to stay on the list for 2021 and 2022 but not come to the club for 2021. No idea.
Really?

I think under the circumstances it's a quite generous offer, keep your nose clean for 12 months and you'll be re-instated.

Meaning we couldn't replace him on the list, now if so desired we have the option of selecting a player in the mid season draft according to Adam Kelly.

I may know some of them. I used to work for AN back before it was all privatised. Passenger attendant on the Ghan, Indian Pacific & Overland.

The 3 on the drugs were caught on the railcars. The others were 4 in the freights and the other 2 IIRC were on loan to the railcars. I got booted in 2000 due to health issues so it's a long time ago now. Caught up with 1 of young ones about a decade ago. He was back working in trade as a french polisher and hating it. Said it was pure stupidity on his part because he knew the rules. I can't remember the names of the 2 in the siding but they were based at Mile End. Had been warned over and over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish him the best. Sincerely. Can’t fault us for giving up a 3rd for him and having a crack. Can’t fault us for terminating him given way things turned out. Such is life... ironically enough I always think of Cousins when that saying comes to mind. But hopefully Tyson has a good life after footy.

So Kelly on 5AA said they had agreed with Stengle on a framework on what he had to do off-field, but he wouldn't agree to the year in the SANFL. Sounds like he thought he should do his 4 week suspension and then have it go back to normal and be eligible for selection while the club wanted to see a longer term commitment from him to give him back those rights.

So Kelly on 5AA said they had agreed with Stengle on a framework on what he had to do off-field, but he wouldn't agree to the year in the SANFL. Sounds like he thought he should do his 4 week suspension and then have it go back to normal and be eligible for selection while the club wanted to see a longer term commitment from him to give him back those rights.
Sounds like he's someone who isn't truly committed to playing AFL. Glad he's gone.

Ummm..... Nah not quite.

I'm thinking not, given that it was a negotiated exit. Clause c) has a distinctly unilateral feel to it. At the end of the day, we're just guessing.

If I was to guess just like everyone else in here. Id say he’d be getting payed out 100% of his contract... a cent less and he’d have every right to take the club to court. He has 1 drink driving strike against his name and 1 recreational drug strike. The other recreational drug use “strike” is even mentioned on the AFL site as “purportedly”.. in other words, its unproven and would get thrown out of court if it came to it.

So officially he has two strikes against his name yet the club, rightly or wrongly depending on personal opinion, wanted him gone or wanted him to serve a year long ban.

They couldnt just rip up his contract and send him packing because his employers (AFL) own recreational drug policy states he gets three strikes.

I’d say the club (and effectively the AFL) will be paying him out his full contract entitlement..

What I want to know is whether it has to be counted in the salary cap for the next two years..

A year in the SANFL?

Has any club done something like that and retained the player afterwards? Were we following a proven track record with this penalty?

If I was to guess just like everyone else in here. Id say he’d be getting payed out 100% of his contract... a cent less and he’d have every right to take the club to court. He has 1 drink driving strike against his name and 1 recreational drug strike. The other recreational drug use “strike” is even mentioned on the AFL site as “purportedly”.. in other words, its unproven and would get thrown out of court if it came to it.

So officially he has two strikes against his name yet the club, rightly or wrongly depending on personal opinion, wanted him gone or wanted him to serve a year long ban.

They couldnt just rip up his contract and send him packing because his employers (AFL) own recreational drug policy states he gets three strikes.

I’d say the club (and effectively the AFL) will be paying him out his full contract entitlement..

What I want to know is whether it has to be counted in the salary cap for the next two years..
Or what happens if he does indeed get picked up in the mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back