Roast Tyson Stengle sacked after ******* up again

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks gave him another chance as long as it was under their rules. He rejected them and left. Ungrateful tosser if you ask me.
Yep silly him

Bet he's feeling like a prize goose now

A quick search and the Tyson Stengle situation has barely been discussed since he's gone on to become of Geelong's best players and probably the best all round small forward in the game.

It's obvious we shat the bed, we couldn't back ourselves in to help him and thought it would be a better PR exercise to just wash our hands of a player getting up to what every other player in the comp does.

He'd be in our top 4 players with Tex, Daws and Lairdy.

Discuss!

Pies stood by De Goey through a lot worse, we really stuffed up. We bowed down to perceived public pressure much harder than we had to.

Imagine Stengle, Rachele and Rankine running around our forwardline. That would have had our small forward setup complete for almost 10 years.

Pies stood by De Goey through a lot worse, we really stuffed up. We bowed down to perceived public pressure much harder than we had to.

Imagine Stengle, Rachele and Rankine running around our forwardline. That would have had our small forward setup complete for almost 10 years.
Yep

As if building a successful football club isn't difficult enough as it is we have to add an extra layer of difficulties

Correct.

Not to mention, the only person Stengle really "harmed" in all of this was himself and no one else, especially when you compare him to DeGoey and what has been allegedly done a few years back.

Dusty too, the "chopsticks" incident did happen and Tigers still kept him.

Correct.

Not to mention, the only person Stengle really "harmed" in all of this was himself and no one else, especially when you compare him to DeGoey and what has been allegedly done a few years back.

Dusty too, the "chopsticks" incident did happen and Tigers still kept him.
You can't compare Stengle at that time to Martin or De Goey lol.

lol. Of course yes you can, when your discussing off field issues, you would be a moron to think you couldnt.
lol. You really are lacking basic football knowledge if you think they are remotely comparable players. We stuck by Walker with all his indiscretions, important players always have leeway. That's how the cookie crumble, always has and always will.

lol. You really are lacking basic football knowledge if you think they are remotely comparable players. We stuck by Walker with his indiscretions.

I'm not sure that 'we stuck by Walker through his racism incident' is the defence that you might think to our treatment of Stengle.

Remember this post when my suspicion is confirmed that the handling of Stengle is one of the later incidents linked with questionable club policy over several years. (Of which "The Camp" and its aftermath is the most famous example.)

We have a lot more tolerance for cockups from the higher ups. This is beyond question. Has been this way since Trigg. Admin believe that they are the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

As if building a successful football club isn't difficult enough as it is we have to add an extra layer of difficulties

Not punishing players for having a beer in the crowd or running around an 8 ball table in boxers is a certain way to become the next Mel.. I mean Carlton.

All really a moot point as Nicks would still be selecting Murphy instead of him…
Probably the most valid point in all of this

A cautionary tale for Rankine too were he considering our offer

Slippery Pete’s Greatest Hits, Volume 2020.

I love that you can click on those links and see the posts I was replying to. Really a pile of good judgement there from people who thought Stengle should be fired from a rocket into the sun.

Won‘t name any names.

No, I think we agree on the fundamental premise. I accept that some individuals, no matter how talented, can be so toxic that their net effect on results is negative.

Is that Stengle? I guess it’s possible.

Do I trust the club enough, with its current record, to make that judgement? Do I trust everything that is happening with Stengle is entirely his fault, and not owing in any way, shape or form, to the club or its handling of him?

I trust it about as much as I trust drinking from the toilet in Jack is Back’s penthouse.
I’m not saying never sack anyone, but it’s not the big self-congratulatory stand people think it is. It’s basically giving him away for free. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a problem child everywhere he goes, but at this point in time, do you really trust that its Stengle and not the club?

This club has a proven track record of ******* up everything it touches, so at this point, no, I don’t trust it.

I still say it was the realisation that he could lose his AFL career that "fixed" him.

He got pinged drink driving (and driving unlicensed, how did he lose his licence?) and holding illicit drugs in public. More than one incident. At least three there.

Despite the hyperbolic media response far worse actions than DeGoey.

There was an option for him to stay with us, so we did stand by him to an extent.

Rather than be bitter at our club, I am happy for Stengle. Hate seeing talent wasted by stupid off field issues.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

An absolute balls-up of epic proportions once again from the strange flogs that are running this club.

A young lad given a ridiculous ultimatum which was engineered to force him to walk away from the club.

Instead of getting around the lad and sticking by him, helping him through the problems they chose the other option.. to use him as a scapegoat to show all their apricot slice nana brigade supporters that they were tough on these frowned upon activities.. all about the optics.

And wow, hasnt it come back to bite them on the arse.

Other clubs around in the league must just laugh at us.

Theres a rumour that Newchurch is out of favour at the club due to “off-field” issues (he probably listens to the wrong genre of music).. he’ll probably end up at geelong too.. next to Stengle in the forward line, mentored by Betts and kicking bags of goals. But as long as the stiff’s are happy..

The club will never win a flag if its too busy handwringing over optics.

Last edited:
People don’t seem to understand the difference between something being your fault, and the buck stopping with you.

It’s the same argument people run about those parasite board members. “How were they supposed to know the camp was run by a bunch of blokes in bare feet who sit under trees for two days!?”

They don’t have to….but if it tears the club apart for five years afterwards, THEY are responsible.

Whether or not the club had any control over Stengle’s behaviour, or could’ve mentored him better, is one issue.

But the main issue is, he has gone to another club where his issues have magically disappeared AND he is helping them win football games.

He is winning games for them, and not us.

Whatever the reason for that, it is a massive L for the Adelaide Football Club and everyone there who had any input into Stengle.

I don't discourage this sacking still. I recall bumping into him at a night club and he didn't really try and hide what he was up to in his spare time the evidence was very obvious if you get my drift...

Maybe going to Geelong and getting out of the fishbowl of Adelaide where all of his childhood mates are helped him... 3rd time lucky i guess 🤷‍♂️

I still say it was the realisation that he could lose his AFL career that "fixed" him.

He got pinged drink driving (and driving unlicensed, how did he lose his licence?) and holding illicit drugs in public. More than one incident. At least three there.

Despite the hyperbolic media response far worse actions than DeGoey.

There was an option for him to stay with us, so we did stand by him to an extent.

Rather than be bitter at our club, I am happy for Stengle. Hate seeing talent wasted by stupid off field issues.

Bollocks Geoff.

Absolute Bollocks.

He ****ed up drink driving an unregistered car. Yep, thats a definite * up and he rightly got punished in the court of law for it.

He then got caught with a bit of coke. So *ing what.

His third indiscretion was him sitting at a party in front of a plate with a white substance on it.. what was that substance?was it his?.. was he charged by the police?..

Total an utter joke to be getting up him for that last one..

It is all about the optics with the club..

Meanwhile this same s**t occurs, and even worse, at other clubs and they rally around the player and tell the media to back the fk off.

Now Geelong has an AA small forward.

Probably occurred when he refused our offer to play SANFL for a year hoping he would get picked in the mid-season draft. And then no one picked him, so he had to play all season in the SANFL anyway.

Bit of a humbling experience for him I'm sure, realising he was in a worse position than if he stayed at the club by entirely his own doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back