News Tyson Stengle signs two-year extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Diving for frees is just one of those things you have to hold your nose for. You have to take whatever competitive advantage you can get and know that your opponents will try to do the same. Leave the chivalry to amateur sports.

Why should Nicks? His job is to win, not protect the sanctity of the game.

Up to the AFL to stamp it out, and until they do, good on Rowe for doing it.
This. If the umps are dumb enough to pay it then by all means keep doing it. Everyone else is milking it, we might as well too. Taking the high road doesn't get you points. If anything it's usually the opposite.

3 points down with 15 seconds left, Rowe goes for a contested ball. What would people rather? Ducks and gets a set shot free kick? Or runs directly into a tackle for a game losing ball up?

Disagree.

It’s short termism. If he gets a reputation then Rowe starts to not get the free kicks he deserves.

The obvious counter-example to that reputation is Joel Selwood, where despite it, he ended up at +200 free kicks compared to 2nd place in the last decade.

I'd wager someone like Rowe, even without that star power, would end up earning more frees through ducking then he'd lose through reputation. Umpiring would end up being reactive, due to fatigue and it would end up exploting that.

The obvious counter-example to that reputation is Joel Selwood, where despite it, he ended up at +200 free kicks compared to 2nd place in the last decade.

I'd wager someone like Rowe, even without that star power, would end up earning more frees through ducking then he'd lose through reputation. Umpiring would end up being reactive, due to fatigue and it would end up exploting that.

even without the star power is the point

When Rowe goes in like Selwood, competes like Selwood, runs as hard as Selwood … I’ll give him a pass.

Next season is gonna be insufferable….everytime Stengle touches the footy. Its already started “so brave” “much adversity”. In typical AFL fashion, players fu**ups turn into reasons that we should laud them.

He indulged in some coke. FFS, if he didn't have a efftard friend we'd have not even known about the second event and he'd still be on our list. More than half our players would be racking up semi-regularly. Cutting him was the typical optics over outcome decision that we were famous for. Hopefully no more.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He indulged in some coke. FFS, if he didn't have a efftard friend we'd have not even known about the second event and he'd still be on our list. More than half our players would be racking up semi-regularly. Cutting him was the typical optics over outcome decision that we were famous for. Hopefully no more.

there were other events not just the Brad night.

Your whole argument you based around the one event - I was just letting you know there were more and actually more than the media got hold of that's why the club called it quits - attitude.

Yeh, because it was the last event. If the bloke that was there hadn't released the photo, he'd have been sitting only on the crouch one and the DUI. If other players had equally deadshit acquaintances we'd have less than half a list.

Your whole argument you based around the one event - I was just letting you know there were more and actually more than the media got hold of that's why the club called it quits - attitude.

that may well be true, but all we have been told about is the public events which aren’t all that much

it would be no surprise if there were more though

Third sentence is just made up. Fourth sentence supports your third sentence. Just absolute bollocks.

When Rowe goes in like Selwood, competes like Selwood, runs as hard as Selwood … I’ll give him a pass.
He's already the closest player to Selwood on our list. Have you seen him attack the ball and fall into tackles?

He's already the closest player to Selwood on our list. Have you seen him attack the ball and fall into tackles?

He'd have to go a lot further to get to Selwood's diving class.
I've noted this before, but I saw Selwood demonstrate the perfect voluntary tackle once, against us. He was expecting Scott Thompson to tackle him and simply collapsed onto the ground, in "agony". Thompson was just standing there without a hand on him. It was absoulutely hilarious. :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back