Traded Tyson Stengle [traded to Adelaide for pick 68]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he contracted? Coz if not thats usually how it works

He can go into the draft if he prefers.

From Richmond's POV, that's as good (and in some ways better) as what most people seem to think they can offer.

From Richmond's POV, that's as good (and in some ways better) as what most people seem to think they can offer.

Essendon Bachar Houli style.

If Stengle does request a trade I suspect a deal will be done as top sides are usually fairly good to their fringe players .

He is a natural footballer but not an athlete.
Bolton is ahead of him for those reasons.

He has the potential to play 100 games for someone though.
He is unlucky there are so many smalls in front of him atm.
He would be a good get for the Blues

I highly doubt Stengle would prefer to go in the draft rather than have a bit of a say on the team he can pick from.

So because your not gonna get a high pick (because a late pick doesn’t suffice, so I’m assuming that means 1st or 2nd rounder) you are just going to let him walk to the draft? What? A Richmond fan said he’s too far back in the pecking order (5 other forwards seem to be higher in the order for now), why not just get a late pick and not be a dick team? “He’s about 34th choice for our team but he’s too good to be anywhere else so pay up”.

It’s not like he is the 23rd/24th/25th man and he isn’t a key position player. Let him go for pick 59 or whatever.

He is a natural footballer but not an athlete.
Bolton is ahead of him for those reasons.

He has the potential to play 100 games for someone though.
He is unlucky there are so many smalls in front of him atm.
He would be a good get for the Blues
There will definitely be a market for him. Plenty of teams in need of small forward help.
Blues as you mentioned, Suns, Freo, Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, others i can't think of.
Pretty long list, I'm sure he'll find a home if he is looking to leave for opportunity

Essendon Bachar Houli style.

If Stengle does request a trade I suspect a deal will be done as top sides are usually fairly good to their fringe players .

Absolutely...A deal...Not giving hm away for a pick we'll never use.

I highly doubt Stengle would prefer to go in the draft rather than have a bit of a say on the team he can pick from.

So because your not gonna get a high pick (because a late pick doesn’t suffice, so I’m assuming that means 1st or 2nd rounder) you are just going to let him walk to the draft? What? A Richmond fan said he’s too far back in the pecking order (5 other forwards seem to be higher in the order for now), why not just get a late pick and not be a dick team? “He’s about 34th choice for our team but he’s too good to be anywhere else so pay up”.

It’s not like he is the 23rd/24th/25th man and he isn’t a key position player. Let him go for pick 59 or whatever.

That's higher than has been suggested.

I'm not suggesting first or second round...A pick we'd actually use however isn't unreasonable.

True, it's up to the clubs and the player. I'm just pointing out that Richmond wont let him go for nothing (or effectively nothing).
Clubs frequently let out-of-contract fringe players go for effectively nothing. How do you think Richmond picked up Nankervis? We also delisted Membrey so that the Saints could pick him up for nothing, despite offering him a contract for the following year. He was much closer to cracking the Swans team at the time than Stengle is the Tigers’ at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs frequently let out-of-contract fringe players go for effectively nothing. How do you think Richmond picked up Nankervis? We also delisted Membrey so that the Saints could pick him up for nothing, despite offering him a contract for the following year. He was much closer to cracking the Swans team at the time than Stengle is the Tigers’ at the moment.
We've done the same thing for Stevens, Jones & Hrovat.

Absolutely disagree that he has no trade value.

People are confusing fringe players from s**t clubs versus fringe players from premiership clubs. Big difference.

Hawks frequently got value out of fringe players like savage etc. s**t clubs gave them away eg carlton with jacobs etc

Stengle clearly has upside. He is young and plays like a young eddie betts. We aint talking about a 25-28 player fringe player wanting another chance. Quality small forwards are the rage now.

Even nankervis was fringe when we got him and still paid pick 40 old. You know why? Cos fringe players in top clubs get value (swans made GF that year).

We have something like 15-20 players that are out of contract including Houli,Grigg,Menadue,Bolton,Townsend and more

Stengle will be offered a contract and is a required player with departures of 4-5 players this year

Only way he leaves imo is if he requests a trade and if he did would probably be back to adelaide so crows with eddie coming to the end would be a suiter.

My pref is to keep on a 2 year deal - Very very smart and talented player

Even nankervis was fringe when we got him and still paid pick 40 old. You know why? Cos fringe players in top clubs get value (swans made GF that year).

But if the rumour is true then it is an uncontracted player 2 years out from the rookie draft with 2 AFL games to his name requesting a trade out to another club for more opportunity.

He can be talented and a player of the future yet still hold little trade value (nothing below a mid third rounder).

Young, Stevenson, Heath, Spangher, Dennis-Lane, White, Michie, Hallahan, Biggs, West, Talia, Townsend, Ahern, Nankervis, Hrovat, Kersten, Vardy, Stevens, Palmer are a quick skim of a list of players that have been traded in the past 5 years from top 4 clubs of that year (or thereabouts) for picks in the mid 40s or later.

A lot there had more trade value than Stengle based on either original draft pick or games played. Obviously Stengle is far better than someone like Palmer (pick 135 and cap relief) but is he going to command a pick like 45 without anything back like a ruckman such as Nankervis?

Last edited:

People are confusing fringe players from s**t clubs versus fringe players from premiership clubs. Big difference.

Hawks frequently got value out of fringe players like savage etc. s**t clubs gave them away eg carlton with jacobs etc

Stengle clearly has upside. He is young and plays like a young eddie betts. We aint talking about a 25-28 player fringe player wanting another chance. Quality small forwards are the rage now.

In the 2016 trade period, right after we won the grand final, we did the following trades of fringe players.

Hrovat, 2017 3rd and 4th for North's 2017 3rd and 4th.

Koby Stevens, pick 61, North's 2017 4th round for pick 50 and the Saints 2017 5th round.

Even your example is terrible. Savage was steak knives in the McEvoy trade. Hawks gave away their first round pick on top of him.
A guy like Nankervis gets slight value because he was a ready to go ruck. Even then, pick 40 is not a lot.

If Stengle does goes, as a guy who has played 2 games, and is behind a host of players, you're not going to get much at all for him.
And I imagine if the "doesn't matter, we'll make him go to the draft" crew think the Tigers are going to do that, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Who knows, he might re-sign with the Tigers anyway and none of this matters. But no chance you'd get any actual value out of a trade for him.

In the 2016 trade period, right after we won the grand final, we did the following trades of fringe players.

Hrovat, 2017 3rd and 4th for North's 2017 3rd and 4th.

Koby Stevens, pick 61, North's 2017 4th round for pick 50 and the Saints 2017 5th round.

Even your example is terrible. Savage was steak knives in the McEvoy trade. Hawks gave away their first round pick on top of him.
A guy like Nankervis gets slight value because he was a ready to go ruck. Even then, pick 40 is not a lot.

If Stengle does goes, as a guy who has played 2 games, and is behind a host of players, you're not going to get much at all for him.
And I imagine if the "doesn't matter, we'll make him go to the draft" crew think the Tigers are going to do that, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Who knows, he might re-sign with the Tigers anyway and none of this matters. But no chance you'd get any actual value out of a trade for him.

Well i guess its going to come down to beauty in the eye of the beholder. Clearly I have been watching vfl a lot and wanted him in the team many times this year. So clearly I rate him a lot higher than you do, so naturally I would be disappointed we just gave him away after two years. He hasn’t had any opportunity and clearly has shown a lot of potential.

Small forwards is clearly an area we are verg strong in and any club that gets him is going to be very happy with him.
He has value.

This scenario happens a lot when clubs stock pile talent. When carlton gave away jacobs they had so many rucks at the time but I bet they were disappointed in their decision in hinsight.

We'll happily take what we paid for Nankervis. Pick 46 wasn't it?

Exactly it would be a token pick to get him to a club of his desire.

he has zero trade value

For him to want to move, he'd have to have a reasonable expectation of plenty of games in the 1s (why else would he move?)

If a club thinks he's going to play regularly in their firsts, then he has value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back