News U-18 AFL App

Remove this Banner Ad

Great idea but they could benefit just as much by funding a marketing team and using Instagram, snapchat and Facebook to release better content.

I actually kinda agree with Luke Ablett's sentiments on twitter re: this having a largely negative effect on potential draftees. Like stream all the games, make them FTA/readily available.

But majority of these kids are 17 years old or so. Their education and/or setting themselves up for life post football or in case they don't get drafted should be the main concerns though, and I worry that if this U18s coverage gets more and more intense it might burn out a bunch of these youngsters mentally/psychologically/etc.

I actually kinda agree with Luke Ablett's sentiments on twitter re: this having a largely negative effect on potential draftees. Like stream all the games, make them FTA/readily available.

But majority of these kids are 17 years old or so. Their education and/or setting themselves up for life post football or in case they don't get drafted should be the main concerns though, and I worry that if this U18s coverage gets more and more intense it might burn out a bunch of these youngsters mentally/psychologically/etc.
AFL as a code needs to grow up.

Compare what happens in soccer and US pro leagues with AFL, the pressure is way more intense in other codes.

Our sport is so amateurish.

The majority of kids going into their draft year are alot more switched on than you give them credit for especially these days, your seeing alot more mature age players getting taken at alot of the kids realize this and are prepared for the next step. A would assume a small majority will really struggle with it but on the whole i feel its a very good thing for the AFL and the kids that this takes off.

The majority of kids going into their draft year are alot more switched on than you give them credit for especially these days, your seeing alot more mature age players getting taken at alot of the kids realize this and are prepared for the next step. A would assume a small majority will really struggle with it but on the whole i feel its a very good thing for the AFL and the kids that this takes off.

Personally I'm all for raising the age till something like 21 even. As an educator, I just like to see these young blokes get some education/apprenticeship/etc behind em to set em up in case the dream of AFL footy falls through. Known too many people over the years that have been touted to go early, and either went late and got delisted quite quickly, or they went undrafted .

Personally I'm all for raising the age till something like 21 even. As an educator, I just like to see these young blokes get some education/apprenticeship/etc behind em to set em up in case the dream of AFL footy falls through. Known too many people over the years that have been touted to go early, and either went late and got delisted quite quickly, or they went undrafted .

Then would they have make a New League for the 18-21 Year Old Prospects Then?

Perhaps. Either that or they play state league footy for those years.

That State Leagues would like that as give them more National Exposure but with AFL Teams have State League Teams it make it hard to see these Kids NOT play for AFL State League Teams

That State Leagues would like that as give them more National Exposure but with AFL Teams have State League Teams it make it hard to see these Kids NOT play for AFL State League Teams

Another way they could do it would be to bring back the AFL Reserves comp, and then a U21s League on top of that could be a goer. Bit like the old days?

Another way they could do it would be to bring back the AFL Reserves comp, and then a U21s League on top of that could be a goer. Bit like the old days?

I 100% Agree there with Bringing back the Reserves.

Sound pretty good idea

Wait

Are people suggesting we hold out afl prospects for longer so they can get further education while playing in some state or reserves system ?

That baffles me

Wouldn’t putting them in amateur clubs that cannot give them the kind of opportunities and access that afl professional clubs can just make things worse?

And moving draft age back would lose kids to the system.

Trying to find solutions to problems by creating other problems that don’t actual solve what the original problem was, which is that not all kids will make it. Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back