U14 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted the first 3 to see the good bowlers out and then retire them so they can come back out after everyone has batted. Normally 4,5 &6 don't get the opportunity to come back in. These 3 are my weapons and I want them facing average bowlers and taking full toll.
I would do whatever you normally do.

I'm still scarred by my under 12s grand final. We had a pretty handy side, three players went on to play first grade in the WACA comp. Undefeated all year, even the lightning carnival. I batted four and bowled first change but there was a big gap in quality between them and me (and the rest of the team).

The final was at Lilac Hill and for some of us it was our first time on turf, which apparently is why we bowled after winning the toss instead of batting.

The opening bowlers also bowled seven overs straight instead of the usual five, and had taken only the one wicket. I came on at first change, and instead of bowling to number five or six, as I often did, the number three was set. I went for 20+ in my first over and that was pretty much the game.

That was 1989 and it still gets me every time I go past that ground.

So yeah, just let them do their thing as they always do.

Under 14's was when we started playing two days games. Competition was half two-day games (50ish - 52 seems to ring a bell - overs a day, unlimited batting so could bat into the second day), half one-day games (30 overs each to bat) and all finals played over two days.

I liked the two-day games. Started bringing in more tactical dynamics such as declarations and trying to go for outright wins.

Out of your 4 ‘poor’ bats, open the batting with the one who hits it the hardest and give him a license. Last GF we were in we did this and were 50 off 4 overs chasing 186. It was beautiful!

Also, open with spin. Just one over

Best of luck!

Best of luck for you and the lads tomorrow BLUEALLTHRU.
Thank you to everyone who contributed. The boys have been super keen all week at training. We are going in with the attitude "nothing to lose" Bowl tight and build pressure and bat sensibly.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the 1st Day:

Cool and overcast in Perth today and we won the toss and bowled. After 21 overs 1/86, We had our drinks and talked about the fact the good bats had retired and it was time to really tighten the screws on their mid to lower order. After 35 overs 5/112 and now we're talking about the fact that soon there, retired top bats will be coming back and setting an in/out field just to contain as usually 250-300 is the norm(Too Much for us)

All out for 159 after 46:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::D:D:D:thumbsu::drunk:

We spoke about the opportunity to play in a grand final and how for some it might be there only one!

Extremely proud!!!!!

Long way to go yet.....:praying:

After the 1st Day:

Cool and overcast in Perth today and we won the toss and bowled. After 21 overs 1/86, We had our drinks and talked about the fact the good bats had retired and it was time to really tighten the screws on their mid to lower order. After 35 overs 5/112 and now we're talking about the fact that soon there, retired top bats will be coming back and setting an in/out field just to contain as usually 250-300 is the norm(Too Much for us)

All out for 159 after 46:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::D:D:D:thumbsu::drunk:

We spoke about the opportunity to play in a grand final and how for some it might be there only one!

Extremely proud!!!!!

Long way to go yet.....:praying:
3 runs an over will be a walk in the park from here .

3 runs an over will be a walk in the park from here .
The outfield is very slow and you don't get great value for your shots. In saying that a couple of there boys who didn't take the aerial route (it stopped dead!) and just hit it hard along the outfield, did get boundarys.

Nothing is a for gone conclusion and we have to be ready for anything!:thumbsu:

This Saturday coming mate. I have organised our U15's to come down tonight and bowl to the boys. Hopefully good practice!
Good luck sounds like your right in the game!

My most enjoyable season of coaching was when I coached my home clubs under 14s, sounds very similar to your scenario. We knocked off the undefeated top side , number 11 hit the winning runs .

Depending how your kids are chasing totals get them to focus on scoring 16x groups of 10 rather then 160. Its amazing how less confronting this can seem , especially on a slower ground

I've even printed off the groupings ( say 1-16) we've needed before and posted them around the ground , then remove each group as we pass it.
Can really throw the opposition , they have no idea what it means.
Might not want to that gimmick in a GF though !

All the best

Good luck sounds like your right in the game!

My most enjoyable season of coaching was when I coached my home clubs under 14s, sounds very similar to your scenario. We knocked off the undefeated top side , number 11 hit the winning runs .

Depending how your kids are chasing totals get them to focus on scoring 16x groups of 10 rather then 160. Its amazing how less confronting this can seem , especially on a slower ground

I've even printed off the groupings ( say 1-16) we've needed before and posted them around the ground , then remove each group as we pass it.
Can really throw the opposition , they have no idea what it means.
Might not want to that gimmick in a GF though !

All the best
Thank you I love the idea of 16 groups of 10 rather than 160:thumbsu:

I hope No 11 isn't required! My heart could do without it:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back