U18 All-Australian Team | BigFooty

U18 All-Australian Team

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Sera, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    2003 Under-18 All-Australian team
    8:38:52 PM Sun 13 July, 2003
    afl.com.au
    The following is the All-Australian team from the 2003 AFL National Under-18 Championships, and the various medalists and award winners announced at the conclusion of the championships on Sunday.

2003 All-Australian Under-18 team

NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly, Nick Potter
    Northern Territory: Tom Logan
    Queensland: Jake Furfaro
    South Australia: Adam Cooney, David Kellett, Brad Symes, Beau Waters, Josh Willoughby
    Vic Country: Troy Chaplin, Ryley Dunn, Colin Sylvia, Kane Tenace, Andrew Walker
    Victoria Metro: Eddie Betts, Ricky Dyson, Luke Herrington, Brock McLean, Brayden Shaw, Fergus Watts
    Western Australia: Kepler Bradley, Farren Ray

Coach: Leon Harris (Vic Country)
    Assistant Coach: Rod Carter (NSW/ACT)

2003 National AFL Under-18 championships medallists:

Larke Medal (Division One – best player): Kepler Bradley (Western Australia)
    Harrison Medal (Division Two – best player): Jake Furfaro (Queensland)

2003 National AFL Under-18 championships – most valuable players:

NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly
    Northern Territory: Cameron Ilett
    Queensland: Jake Furfaro
    South Australia: Brad Symes
    Tasmania: Brett Robinson
    Vic Country: Andrew Walker
    Vic Metro: Luke Herrington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. The Passenger

The Passenger Mr. Mojo Risin'

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Pittsburgh Penguins, Dallas Cowboys
    interesting that despite the hype, Xavier Clarke didn't get in the Aus u/18 team.

Willoughby is a gun from SA.

3. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    Xavier Clarke plays for St Kilda, you probably mean Raphael Clarke.

4. Yze_Magic

Yze_Magic Suspended

Other Teams:
    McLean/Sylvia > Anyone
    thats cos X.Clarke was busy running aimlessly around the field for St.Kilda masquerading as a footballer

5. Kenny_01

Kenny_01 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Maybe Raphael wasn't playing to his potential in the hope the first few clubs might overlook him so he can end up with his brother at St. Kilda?

6. The Passenger

West Coast
    Other Teams:

sorry fellas, i meant raph.

but yea thats always a possibility.

do they pick that AA team purely from the u/18 championships or from a whole heap of stuff done over the course of the season in TAC Cup and various other comps?

7. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    Matt Moody made All Australian last year but not this year. Perhaps that suggests this years draft is a bit stronger than last years...

8. Kenny_01

Fremantle
    Just the champs I think.

9. Kenny_01

Fremantle
    Sera, do you have last years team?

10. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    Daniel Bell
    Adam Cooney
    David Kellett
    Byron Schammer
    James Allan
    Ryley Dunn
    Matthew Ferguson
    Adam Fisher
    Brendon Goddard
    Troy Selwood
    Stephen Gilham
    Paul Johnson
    Steven Salopek
    Kade Simpson
    Callum Urch
    Matthew Moody
    Ryan Crawford
    Jared Brennan
    Raphael Clarke
    Anthony Corrie
    Paul Shelton
    Luke Shackleton

Hey.. Raph Clarke was in it too. 2 players that made it last year but not this year...

11. licuria4life

licuria4life Debutant

Other Teams:
    Collingwood
    Raphael Clarke isnt in this years Under 18 AA Team, because he got reported in the NT first game and got 2 weeks so missed out on the rest of the carnival, therefore he didnt get picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    Really? Seems a strange thing to suspend u18 players during the carnival when you only play 3 games...

13. licuria4life

licuria4life Debutant

Other Teams:
    Collingwood
    yeh i know i think its pretty ridiculos as well, i mean that could make or break whether a kid gets to play AFL, by suspending him ur taking away his opportunity in a way. But Raphael wont have to worry they have seen plenty of him before to know hes a decent player.

But he hit some guy so i mean i guess he has to cop it, u cant do it in any game of footy u play, so u shouldnt be able to do it at that level and get away with it.

14. GOALden Hawk

GOALden Hawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Actually Raph was suspended after the 2nd game for striking - at the time I didn't think there was much in it but the replay apparently didn't look good.

He got 2 games, so I have no idea where he serves the other, his local club I guess. He didn't get picked because he didn't play well - spent most of the time up forward.

But I very much doubt he was tanking it for the Saints - anyone who saw him last year or in the lead-up games will know he can play.

Moody spent more time up forward this year as well, hence his exclusion. Still a classly player.

Based on what I saw the AA selectors got it right.

15. X_box_X

X_box_X Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    I would have thought that Rivers would have made it from Vic Country. He was B.O.G Vs Metro.

16. SCRAY72

SCRAY72 Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    You could be right.

17. back pocket

back pocket Club Legend

Fremantle
    This time last year Moody was playing in the South Freo League team and made all-australian at the u18 championship. This season he's playing colts and not making all-australian.
    He's either peaked very early (at 16), or is hoping to get picked up later in the draft by Freo. I'd be happy with another Freo product getting picked up by Freo.

18. Weaver

Weaver Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    Moody - missed preseason with glandular fever and is therefore a little underdone. Last year he was the key forward, this year they had better tall options so he got shunted off to starvation corner. The 100 point loss in their last game ended any chance he had of being All-Oz. As for not playing seniors in WA, as I have posted elsewhere it is a new policy in WA to discourage Colts players from playing seniors.

Clarke - turned his ankle about 5 weeks ago. Started brightly but was then well held by Furfaro. Then was in a great match-up with Daly. Was not playing at his best, but his two opponents were named their states' best players.

Team based on champs Theoretically the team is based on only championship form. However it is very very rare for a genuine smokey to make the team, they have to play great footy. It is also very common for some of the blue-chip prospects to make the team even on only moderate form. Much like the senior All-Oz team really.

Willoughby, Waters and Sylvia did not do enough to be selected and Mundy has to be extremely unlucky to miss out, clearly the best defender IMHO.

Rivers who?

19. Bomber12

Bomber12 Senior List

Other Teams:
    essendon
    Weaver!!!! what do u think about the selection of ricky dyson, great player, but i dont think he performed that well during the champs!! he didn't stand out like other players named in the squad

20. Gopies 2002

Gopies 2002 Club Legend

Collingwood
    The all oz team is interesting.

I admit I didn't see a lot of it, but I was suprised Braydon Shaw made the team.

I think he will become a decent AFL player, but I thought he champs form could best be described as consistent (and I think it was effected by only recently returning from injury).

He like a number of other selections seemed more name driven than based on form.

21. Portmanteau

Portmanteau Behaviourz2Outcomz

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Fox Sports FC
    Anyone willing to compile an early mock draft based on the championships?

22. FIGJAM

FIGJAM FigBooty Legend

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    VFL Magpies
    Well what is the criteria?

Is it completely based on the Carnival (which would seem dumb to me)?

Brayden is a very good young football player. Moves and looks similar in build to Travis Johnstone, although he is a natural inside midfielder (doesn't have the silky footskills though, but is still a good kick). Extremely good hands especially below the knees and has an outstanding handball.

I forsee Brayden being groomed as a successor to Scott Burns, as he will bulk up (unlike Johnstone) and be a good all round solid footy player.

23. The Passenger

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    willoughby got in hte team though.....??

and guey, its probably to early to call - wait until we know which team is going to finish in which spot.

But from reports I'd say Cooney will go 1 (definetaly top 3).
    kepler bradley will go 2 (definetaly top 5)- especially if the dogs get the priority pick.

other top 5 spots between David Kellet, Brad Symes, Raphael Clarke, Farren Ray, Jake Furfaro, Luke Herrington......don't know much about the other vic blokes though.

there are some guys i've noticed in the TAC Cup as well doing well. Kayler-Thompson is one that has been given big raps...how'd he go in the carnival?? the ruckman Everett is another i've heard good raps about, and same with the onballer Ezard (from Calder).

all (or the vast majority) of those guys will go top 20 i reckon.

also, does anyone have a list of the leading stats guys from TAC cup????

(btw this post is assuming all above players are eligible - i have no idea)

24. dasler

dasler Club Legend

Other Teams:
    South Fremantle
    Interests for me will lie at the draft camp to see where player go in the draft this year. Watching the games, I noticed some players playing "greedy" football and racking up the possessions. So for me I'll wait until the draft camp comes up and then give you a mock draft!!

25. Weaver

Weaver Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    Kellett will go late if at all. He barely moves above walking speed and no that is not an exageration. Ray is awfully light, he will be borderline. Herrington will be interesting, probably taken in the 30s or 40s.

Furfaro did very well. Looks a back-pocket type, so 40s again. Symes and Clarke do look good prospects. Symes in the 20s and Clake in the teens for me.

Kayler-Thompson trialled for Country but didn't make the team. Ezard won't hold his place at Calder when the rep players come back. Won't be drafted. Everett is too short to be a ruckman.