U19 U19s - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite simply it is compromised because you allow 20 year olds to play in an U19 competition. If that’s the age eligibility criteria then no drama but don’t call it under U19s. While I can maybe cop 19.5s I cannot understand how you can allow U20s.
So I assume if the competition was re-named 20 and under or u19.5s or U.W.G.A.F. You and many others would be happy/satisfied, purely because based on interpretation of correct terminology ? If that is the case,regardless of how insignificant and trivial some may consider the ambiguity of terminology being used here or any significance, then call it what ever.Just so long as the integrity of sport in general and spirit of the young blokes from any competition is not subjected to any further debate(for want of a better word)and finally remove any further questions of inclusion based on motivating factors other than developing young footballers to the best of their ability.When and if the v.a.f.a. decide to return the premier U/Age competition back to its best 10 teams, rather than provide limited comment of justification,then I expect the competition should be once again highly regarded, balanced and fair for all irrespective of what that competition is called.

Editorial in the rag this week,makes me think if this oils the squeaky wheels or just makes them louder.No doubt on the fact that if your club cant get a u18 team up(Obvious motivator for the vafa)then the void just grew another six months.

Can't get an U18 team up... or a thirds.

U16s won't go up to U20, and most clubs don't have enough guys to put their surplus 21-year-olds into a thirds.

Not sure where Sholly and cohorts are going with it all, I honestly think the comp would be better off having a true U19s and dropping the U18s. The Colts is a farcical band-aid to cover the lack of teams at the beginning of the year.

U16s won't go up to U20, and most clubs don't have enough guys to put their surplus 21-year-olds into a thirds.

Not sure where Sholly and cohorts are going with it all, I honestly think the comp would be better off having a true U19s and dropping the U18s. The Colts is a farcical band-aid to cover the lack of teams at the beginning of the year.

Above quote sounds familiar

POSTED ON VAFA COLTS PAGE
Why not leave the 'Colts' separate from the other U19 comps and make it a 'flat' U19, no overs.

That way, the teams that have players coming out of U16s are not playing against 20 year olds. I reckon this is what the colts was this years with the exception of Westbourne, who I think had more older guys than most
King G, Aug 4, 2014

Yeah agree in theory,concerns are that without at least a year of consultation and a thorough study of impacting negatives,the risk would be another band-aid.Re-wind to March - April 2014 and last minute re-shuffles claims of club management being directly responsible for teams finals chances/results,and executive changes within the vafa, that if initiated prematurely the 2015 season begins in a similar disarray.Working groups that exist currently should be given this time frame at least,if we as clubs can contribute a clear analysis that is capable of complimenting the intent of the potential changes.I shudder to think if the U/age competitions within the association cop another quick fix the fallout would be catastrophic.Take as much time that is needed to get it right for the long term.

Lets try to get some discussion about tomorrows 2 U19 Prem finals.

Do Beauie get any 1s players who have qualified for Prem? Can they trouble Xavs?

Can Bernards home and away dominance be sustained? Read their brief commentary on last weeks loss on their website and it looks like they have 8+ to come in for the 2nd semi.

St Kevs clearly can match it with Bernards but can they beat them tomorrow?

My view?

Bernards by 4 goals
Xavs by 7 goals

Xavs to beat St Kevs the following week

Bernards and Xavs to play in a GF.

Lets try to get some discussion about tomorrows 2 U19 Prem finals.

Do Beauie get any 1s players who have qualified for Prem? Can they trouble Xavs?

Can Bernards home and away dominance be sustained? Read their brief commentary on last weeks loss on their website and it looks like they have 8+ to come in for the 2nd semi.

St Kevs clearly can match it with Bernards but can they beat them tomorrow?

My view?

Bernards by 4 goals
Xavs by 7 goals

Xavs to beat St Kevs the following week

Bernards and Xavs to play in a GF.
Just to add some spice St Kevs x 6pts and the underdogs against Xavs in extra time.Sharks are young and most play on again next year but in the first 2 encounters with Xavs this year 4pts was the balance of 2 results.Maybe Ray Letham underestimates the Beauy mids,who knows they may get flogged but anythings possible.Skobs are big bodied and I expect the conditions may suit them, either way some pretty good young blokes all round makes for a good contest.

Just to add some spice St Kevs x 6pts and the underdogs against Xavs in extra time.Sharks are young and most play on again next year but in the first 2 encounters with Xavs this year 4pts was the balance of 2 results.Maybe Ray Letham underestimates the Beauy mids,who knows they may get flogged but anythings possible.Skobs are big bodied and I expect the conditions may suit them, either way some pretty good young blokes all round makes for a good contest.
I understand St Kevs are very confident, and I know they have 1 or 2 big bodied midfielders and a sizeable ruckman, but Bernard's are fleet of foot. Will be fascinating 2nd semi.

Xavs have not named Luke Barry, which is a loss if he does not play. I still expect they have too much quality all over the ground for Beauie, who I admit I know very little about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back