U2 Tour 2019

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Doubt it.
That song maybe the first song I ever took notice of U2. Loved it back then and if hear the original would transport me back to feeling of that time in an instant.
Some songs are like time travellers for the feel of the time.

The original recording of NY Day is poor quality. Yet to hear a version that brings to life the Guitar, bass and drums that we heard the other night.

Were you there Friday night?

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Was not there. Knew they were in NZ but did not realise here this week.
Saw them in 93 at the G and somewhere else here maybe ten years ago.
The second time was less memorable. The fact forget even the location highlights that to me..

So how do you know that NDay live on Friday night was better than the 30 odd year old recording?

Last edited:

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Having been to many U2 concerts at many places over 30 years - that was the worst one.

The music seemed off all night honestly, was better through the Joshua Tree overall than the start and encore. While expected, Bono's voice isn't what it was when those songs were recorded, and his inability to hit the notes (and so changing the song) was disappointing. I can tell I must be getting older now, because I could do without his grandstanding too. Won't see them live again.

Is it just me, or has Adam Clayton finally morphed into some lovechild of Ellen and Kent Brockman? How he pulled Naomi Campbell (I think they were even married) shows how wacked out they both must have been back in the day!

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm doubting, I personally, would find it as enjoyable as the original version.
I'm not doubting, for you, you really enjoyed what you heard.

Many of those songs from the 70/80/80s are better live and there is/was a ton of live recordings around at that time. I don't think Bono has the voice to do a better job of them now re-recorded in studio.
I remember back in the day (so early to mid 90s) when the reject shop, and other 2 dollar style shops sold bootleg CD's of live music of bands from concerts. I may still have them lying around somewhere - there was some awesome U2 bootlegs doing the rounds from the Zoo TV tour.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Many of those songs from the 70/80/80s are better live and there is/was a ton of live recordings around at that time. I don't think Bono has the voice to do a better job of them now re-recorded in studio.
I remember back in the day (so early to mid 90s) when the reject shop, and other 2 dollar style shops sold bootleg CD's of live music of bands from concerts. I may still have them lying around somewhere - there was some awesome U2 bootlegs doing the rounds from the Zoo TV tour.

I go back to my original post...the guitar, bass and drums brought life to a song that on the original recording lacks the power you hear live.

Bono's voice on Friday night was fine.

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
6-7 out of 10.

Was a fun night and glad I went, as I love the old tracks. I would have preferred if they played more older songs, including tracks on achtung baby. Would have been great to hear Mysterious Ways. Until the End of the World, The Fly..but I'm glad they played 'even better than the real thing'. The louder/heavier stuff always sounds better live.

360 Tour was still much better!

I was hoping for it be a bit louder too..but I'm used to seeing AC/DC and Metallica, so given the genre I think it was ok.

Noel Gallagher was also very good!

I go back to my original post...the guitar, bass and drums brought life to a song that on the original recording lacks the power you hear live.

Bono's voice on Friday night was fine.
I agree. Most of those songs on Under a Blood Red Sky (‘83?) were much better than the studio recordings too, but the version the other night was superb.

Last edited:
Did he banter much with the crowd?

Yep abit.

He said something like the first half of the show is for me because I'm awesome.

Few claps and cheers.

The second half of the show is for you.
Because your awesome.

More cheers n claps.

Fuuu you are just taking the piss.

I bet you can't even play guitar.

Asked a crowd member where they from.

North Korea

How the fuuuuu did you get out of there?

Am i huge in North Korea?

Hes a funny campaigner.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I agree. Most of those songs on Under a Blood Red Sky (‘83?) were much better than the studio recordings too, but the version the other night was superb.
U2's music is legendary, the criteria as far as I'm concerned is if they can produce the same, live.

You hit it here 4 me :thumbsu:

Back