• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

driver 8

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Consider this a spin off from the ongoing Muse VS Radiohead saga....

The old school.... U2 VS REM

REM .. greatest band of all time for me

Darealrath said:
U2 are my brothers favourite. REM are my favourite. I think he's adopted. I refuse to believe anyone related to me could prefer U2.

The best man for my wedding is a massive U2 fan... thats almost enough not to have him as my best man.... or even invite him to the wedding

driver 8 said:
Consider this a spin off from the ongoing Muse VS Radiohead saga....

The old school.... U2 VS REM

REM .. greatest band of all time for me
And U2 is the greatest for me. REM are awesome though :thumbsu:

REM will feature at the wedding... no question

U2 may make the list with All I Want is You... but thats it!! (and it'l be before I get there)

I tend to prefer U2. They've been mediocre for at least a decade, but the sheer power of prime Bono's vocals and the Edge's guitar trickery are hard to overlook.

I'm not a massive fan of REM, but they certainly had their moments. Stipe is an earnest vocalist, and his lyrics are very worthy - but then so were Bono's.

I'd give U2 the edge as well, especially circa OP, but completely understandable to me either way.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Zooropa
3. Under a Blood Red Sky
4. Murmur
5. Automatic for the People

HM: Green, Unforgettable Fire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like four REM songs, Orange Crush, Losing My Religion, It's the End Of The World & Man On The Moon. The rest of their songs are pretty weak/poor/awful.
I like three U2 songs, New Years Day, Desire & With Or Without You. The rest of their songs are terrible/pathetic/diplorable.

REM wins by default. The poll could have used a third option like Milli Vanilli, Right Said Fred or Transvision Vamp.:D

Barely ever listened to REM.
Have never appealed to me at all and voice of their singer just is painful to my ears which is why never have wanted to hear more than what I heard by accident if someone had radio on them.
U2 at first never really got into them.
I was more into Van Halen, Angels and heavy rock sounds when they were becoming popular. But I do remember hits like New Years Day in early 80's on Countdown but probably onto started to listen more to them in later 80's when no longer at school at one of my mates had some of their albums.
But I really got into them when they had albums like Achtung Baby and their next album after that. Went to Zoo Tv type concert at MCG I think in 1993.
In the 80's they were just one of about 20 rock bands that made good music but as 90's started it seemed to be less good rock bands so it was good in these early to mid 90's to have U2 and Red Hot Chilli Pepper albums over and over.

I don't mind REM but I don't know how they would be considered better than U2. Their body of work is less impressive and miles less diverse.

U2 managed to stay 'decent' for 25 years without doing the same album more than twice. Their sound from Boy through to Pop was polar opposite by the end of the cycle and then they managed to go from the electronics of Pop back to a pure guitar, bass, drum and vocal album that was nearly as good as anything they'd put out.

I wouldn't cross the street to hear their last couple of albums but before that they were an absolute force.

I understand REM from the point of view that their 80s albums were indie rock gems and they were very cool back then. But i never got into their 90s stuff, didn't mind Monster at all, but think they were a bit overhyped for that decade. U2, like them for Achtung and some of their hits, that's about it. It's more a nostalgia thing with both bands. The world was better off having hit singles from them in those days and many other bands that we just don't see any more. We don't see good wholesome bands with hit singles these days, and classic modern songs just don't get airplay now, which takes a lot of the community aspect out of music fandom. It's all sort of lo-fi synth pop and low brow pop/r&b etc now. It's all crossed over, but i still wonder, where are "The great songs now"? where is the substance. Yeh the production is flashy but i won't remember that new song even next week.

Last edited:
REM one of my faves.

Their first 10 albums are an amazing set, the last five were still good and had their moments.

Anyone suggesting they were not diverse, listen to the three mid-90's albums (Automatic, Monster, New Adventures), and the bookends (Murmur & Collapse) and there is a huge array of sounds.

Rockers+REM+Release+15th+Album+Look+Back+NI57l0NUy3Ll.jpg

Two of my favourite bands from the 80s, 90s and early 00s, hard to separate them.

They both produced their best albums in the 90s, U2 Achtung Baby and REM New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Then when people thought they were washed up they produced two of the best singles of the early 00s.

Back