North Melbourne
FB - Bonar - Mckay - Hayden
HB - Perez - McGuinness - Young
C - Scott - Phillips - T.Powell
FOLL - Xerri - Davies-Uniacke - Simpkin
HF - Stephenson - Comben - Thomas
FF - Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar

INT - Mahoney - Bosenavulagi - Lazzaro - Spicer - Ford - P.Walker - W.Walker

Starting to really come together this young group.

Quite clear from this that the midfield & forward line are now stacked. A bit riding on Comben coming on, however I think worst case we can get Larkey a second fiddle via FA. The forward line is full of X-Factor. Whilst the midfield is extremely talented. As I've said, we can pretty much bank a mid with our first next year also (Horne, Sinn, Chesser).

Currently (non u22 best 22) our backline is our most experienced line, which will explain probably why it's our weakest in our u22 best 22. I'd say Mckay & Perez are my sure things. Bonar & Haydens improvement in 2021 will be interesting. Have put W.Walker there to fill the side, but understand he's more of a wing/forward. Corr & McDonald age bracket really helps, as they are both 26 and have a good 5 years in them before we really need to address it too much. I've listed McGuinness but it's a long shot IMO.

Key Priorities moving forward:
- Keep adding talented mids. Get over it people, star midfielders win flags. Give me 1 of the top 3 or 4 next year Brady.
- Running HBF. Think we need another Perez style running defender with elite skills - Perhaps P.Walker is their hope for this spot.
- Running Wingman. This could be Stephenson, Spicer, W.Walker, P.Walker, but it's a "watch this space" for mine. Would like another Bailey on the other wing.
- KPP Depth - Need a post Corr/Tarrant plan & a Comben contingency. Happy to address via trade/FA if required. I'm not interested in adding one with a top pick.

What else?

Last edited:
We need another ruck as I'm not sold on Xerri but I'm glad we didn't use in the draft.

Can get a free agent or another mature age when Campbell gone to fill that gap if required.

Last edited:

HB - Perez - McGuinness - W.Walker

INT - Mahoney - Bosenavulagi - Lazzaro - Spicer - Ford - P.Walker

Quite clear from this that the midfield & forward line are now stacked. A bit riding on Comben coming on, however I think worst case we can get Larkey a second fiddle via FA. The forward line is full of X-Factor. Whilst the midfield is extremely talented. As I've said, we can pretty much bank a mid with our first next year also (Horne, Sinn, Chesser).

Currently (non u22 best 22) our backline is our most experienced line, which will explain probably why it's our weakest in our u22 best 22. I'd say Mckay & Perez are my sure things. Bonar & Haydens improvement in 2021 will be interesting. Have put W.Walker there to fill the side, but understand he's more of a wing/forward. Corr & McDonald age bracket really helps, as they are both 26 and have a good 5 years in them before we really need to address it too much. I've listed McGuinness but it's a long shot IMO.

- Keep adding talented mids. Get over it people, star midfielders win flags. Give me 1 of the top 3 or 4 next year Brady.
- Running HBF. Think we need another Perez style running defender with elite skills - Perhaps P.Walker is their hope for this spot.
- Running Wingman. This could be Stephenson, Spicer, W.Walker, P.Walker, but it's a "watch this space" for mine. Would like another Bailey on the other wing.
- KPP Depth - Need a post Corr/Tarrant plan & a Comben contingency. Happy to address via trade/FA if required. I'm not interested in adding one with a top pick.

What else?

Did Lachie Young run over your dog?

HB - Perez - McGuinness - W.Walker

INT - Mahoney - Bosenavulagi - Lazzaro - Spicer - Ford - P.Walker

What else?
good write up. I couldn't get to sleep last night, and was trying to count up the number of U22 and got lost at 16 (not quite like counting sheep). Wouldn't be surprised if we traded out our R1 2022 pick for a R1 2021 to really cement the group with another top liner next year

Did Lachie Young run over your dog?

Completely forgot him! Edited

Reckon we’ll have to trade in a Key forward and probably a ruck. It’d be the equivalent of winning the draft lottery if Larkey, Comben & Xerri all make it considering where we took them in the daft.

Midfield looks great though. Best young crop we’ve had.

There are multiple 22 year olds in that side. Simpkin, Zur, Larkey.
Its very pedantic but u22 means u22 at the start of the year. Ben misses out by four days.

But that aside its not a bad young group.

JUst out of interest do you reckon Young deserves a shot over either Walker on that flank? Its certainly a nice dilemma new dilemma - which kid to play off the back flank, instead of which old campaigner. Will Walker has shown a bit with limited opportunities and the kid from Tassie was playing from the age of 15 against fully grown men so he would definitely be able to handle himself in a defensive role.

HB - Perez - McGuinness - Young

INT - Mahoney - Bosenavulagi - Lazzaro - Spicer - Ford - P.Walker - W.Walker

What else?

Not a fan of knocking up team line ups but this is a good concept and highlights a list manager's lot.

As you said, a bit riding on Comben and likely too much riding on McGuinness. If Charlie makes it, we simply go all in on an established CHB.

Lots of potential, hope and 'maybe' but on paper at least it looks really good.

Its very pedantic but u22 means u22 at the start of the year. Ben misses out by four days.

But that aside its not a bad young group.

JUst out of interest do you reckon Young deserves a shot over either Walker on that flank? Its certainly a nice dilemma new dilemma - which kid to play off the back flank, instead of which old campaigner. Will Walker has shown a bit with limited opportunities and the kid from Tassie was playing from the age of 15 against fully grown men so he would definitely be able to handle himself in a defensive role.

Yep - Have added due to Lord Passmore pointing out I forgot him.

Big year for WW, can't afford to get injured for another extended period.

Not a fan of knocking up team line ups but this is a good concept and highlights a list manager's lot.

As you said, a bit riding on Comben and likely too much riding on McGuinness. If Charlie makes it, we simply go all in on an established CHB.

Lots of potential, hope and 'maybe' but on paper at least it looks really good.

I found it impressive that we were able to field an entire 22 team with guys in this age demo, no way we could have a couple years ago.

Think the exciting part is that it's far from a finished product, they'll continue to add over the next couple drafts and as you say plug holes with an established key.

One of the hardest things to do via FA is build a midfield IMO, so it just reiterates that they were smart by loading up in that area.

Not to be too pessimistic, but that side seriously lacks pace through the midfield,
and skill coming out of defence. Which are pretty much exactly the problems we’ve had for literally as long as I can remember.

On the bright side, the forward line is fantastic. Still, I was really hoping we’d go down a different route this time, especially given Noble’s comments, but so far there is a bit of ‘same old’ about it all imo...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to be too pessimistic, but that side seriously lacks pace through the midfield,
and skill coming out of defence. Which are pretty much exactly the problems we’ve had for literally as long as I can remember.

On the bright side, the forward line is fantastic. Still, I was really hoping we’d go down a different route this time, especially given Noble’s comments, but so far there is a bit of ‘same old’ about it all imo...
I think you're badly underrating Phillips' pace. LDU's burst and Jy's agility are also things we haven't had in the midfield since Harvey and Wells left. Stephenson is also currently training with the mids. Athletically, I'd say that looks like the best midfield we've had all millennium.

A midfield that "seriously lacks pace" is one with Swallow, Ziebell & Cunnington... Phillips & Powell are in a completely different ball park in terms of pace.

Will Phillips: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/will-phillips/

STRENGTHS:
  • Acceleration
20M SPRINT: 2.91 Seconds

Tom Powell: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/tom-powell/

" Whilst he doesn’t have that breakneck explosive speed, recording a 3.04 20m sprint time at the SANFL pre-season testing, he certainly isn’t slow and is still capable of breaking away from a pack and putting separation between him and his opponents "

20M SPRINT: 3.04 Seconds

LDU - 20M SPRINT: 3.05 Seconds

STEPHENSON - 20M SPRINT: 2.95 Seconds

This is hardly the finished article. Yeah we may need another KF, we may ruck support, possibly more pace, likely another tall defender......but it's as good a starting point as we could really hope for when we know we're at least 2-3 years away from contention.

We just need to keep drafting elite kids then target, trades, FA and the bargain bin to fill the gaps.

This is hardly the finished article. Yeah we may need another KF, we may ruck support, possibly more pace, likely another tall defender......but it's as good a starting point as we could really hope for when we know we're at least 2-3 years away from contention.

We just need to keep drafting elite kids then target, trades, FA and the bargain bin to fill the gaps.
Yeh. Its actually very heartening.

A midfield that "seriously lacks pace" is one with Swallow, Ziebell & Cunnington... Phillips & Powell are in a completely different ball park in terms of pace.

Will Phillips: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/will-phillips/

STRENGTHS:
  • Acceleration
20M SPRINT: 2.91 Seconds

Tom Powell: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/tom-powell/

" Whilst he doesn’t have that breakneck explosive speed, recording a 3.04 20m sprint time at the SANFL pre-season testing, he certainly isn’t slow and is still capable of breaking away from a pack and putting separation between him and his opponents "

20M SPRINT: 3.04 Seconds

LDU - 20M SPRINT: 3.05 Seconds

STEPHENSON - 20M SPRINT: 2.95 Seconds
Phillips’ time is more like 3.05 when adjusted for tailwind. Anyway, it’s certainly a much better mix than the meat grinder. They’re all quick enough, but it’s not really a weapon for any of them except LDU.

I’m just worried that leaving him as the only player with serious burst and elite skills in our mix places way too much pressure on him to be a match-winner every week. The rest project to be solid to very good players, but outside of Jy not really the types you’d tag. Certainly none are elite by foot or particularly damaging.

I was personally hoping we’d target more dynamic midfielders in this draft, as I feel that’s what’s lacking in the long and short term. Still, there’s always next year.

Phillips’ time is more like 3.05 when adjusted for tailwind. Anyway, it’s certainly a much better mix than the meat grinder.
It must have been a pretty strong tailwind. That sort of improvement over 100m would come from about 3.5m/s tailwind. I dunno how that translates to a 20m sprint but it would have to be alot stronger.

Phillips’ time is more like 3.05 when adjusted for tailwind. Anyway, it’s certainly a much better mix than the meat grinder. They’re all quick enough, but it’s not really a weapon for any of them except LDU.

I’m just worried that leaving him as the only player with serious burst and elite skills in our mix places way too much pressure on him to be a match-winner every week. The rest project to be solid to very good players, but outside of Jy not really the types you’d tag. Certainly none are elite by foot or particularly damaging.

I was personally hoping we’d target more dynamic midfielders in this draft, as I feel that’s what’s lacking in the long and short term. Still, there’s always next year.

Well Powell and LDU have the same 20m. Based on highlights, Powell seems to have a similar explode from congestion that LDU does. The Fox Footy draft guru compared him to a midfield version of Zac Butters - He may not be AS good in this area, but will be better at winning his own footy IMO. I'm not worried at all about LDU being the only burst away mid.

Phillips is as highly rated as LDU was as a junior (without playing his u18 year), I'm sure clubs will be putting time into him which only helps LDU/Simpkin/Powell.

Granted, we don't have the silky outside midfielder, however I feel they are hopeful TT will evolve into that. It makes passing on Carroll a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm confident that we will get Sinn or Horne next year which well and truly ticks that box.

Simpkin and LDU are elite users of the footy. Simpkin tailed off after he hurt his ankle in that respect this year, but before that he was top 10 in the AFL in effective disposals and score involvements.

I think we still need one or maybe two of Stephenson, Thomas or Taylor to transition into that real dynamic, point of difference type midfielder, but I don't see any real problem with speed or skill in the mix of LDU-Simpkin-Phillips, which, all things being equal, is our starting midfield from about 2022 to 2030.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back