UberEats and Deliveroo are industry pariahs and the Coronavirus is allowing them to cash in like never before.

Remove this Banner Ad

A restraunt i've bought into, we only run it wednesdays/Thursdays. we switch it on fridays/saturday/sunday

worn the cost of people demanding refunds because we've supplied the wrong sauce when clearly they've ticked the one which has been delivered/ It's ok as it does tick orders through on slow days, You would be mental to accept orders when you have a reatraunt 50% full.

It would kill your margin though.

A mate of mine owns Tuck Shop Takeaway in Elsternwick. They are famous for their burgers.

He won’t use a delivery service because he says that it is just not profitable to do so.

Do you guys turn a profit on deliveries and does it compromise your dine in business? I have been in restaurants where it is obvious that due to the time pressure of delivery offerings the dine in crowd have played second fiddle. And it is galling when the dine in patron contributes more to the bottom line.

Interested in your thoughts mate.

It would kill your margin though.

A mate of mine owns Tuck Shop Takeaway in Elsternwick. They are famous for their burgers.

He won’t use a delivery service because he says that it is just not profitable to do so.

Do you guys turn a profit on deliveries and does it compromise your dine in business? I have been in restaurants where it is obvious that due to the time pressure of delivery offerings the dine in crowd have played second fiddle. And it is galling when the dine in patron contributes more to the bottom line.

Interested in your thoughts mate.
We do however we can't offer any deals over it. Especially on any soft drink it's literally just a margin shaver.

And yeah if we're at 50% capacity we turn it off. It was handy to just get some cash flowing in slower periods.

However right now it's almost covering the rent. let alone anything else.

Ultimately the government needs to step in. But these useless campaigners won’t.
Yep. We're unsure what to do our end. If there was a concrete announcement on a wage subsidy from the federal government today we would close immediately. Staff are honestly by the hours cut better to go to centerlink right now.

Im thankful i am going to take a little bath on $$$ right now but therr are 2 guys who put everything into it and its heartbreaking for them and the couple of casuals we have

How hard is it to set up one of these platforms?

Some app nerds should get together and set one up pronto while it is topical. Small fee from order value to keep the app running (5-10%?) and a flat delivery fee agreed between driver and restaurant separate to the order.

I tell everyone who will listen to go pick their food up for this reason. Unfortunately, there are a lot of lazy campaigners out there

1 mate even knows they take 35% and still won't drive 2 mins to collect food citing 'That's the cost of doing business'.

^^This. It's the laziness that's the worst part, being party to a tax-evading tech company ripping off a supplier, and paying extra for the privilege. Unless you're drunk or have guests around, why do people even need to get delivery? In the vast majority of cases they don't, they're just lazy and unaware (or unconcerned) by the consequences, it's the same with the Amazon behemoth.

I'm sure restaurants will find a means of hitting back (how many currently do click and collect takeaway?), particularly when the backlash picks up momentum (which could be now considering how Uber has responded to the current situation). Hopefully whatever that is is effective enough to counter our inherent laziness.

There is already more than a dozen new apps setup with reduced costs

If you have a loyal following no reason to use them at all, do your own deliveries

One of my local restaurants has a roller door on the side st

They've setup so that you get your take away order from there which means you aren't going inside to collect your food.

They also got a bubble tea machine to seal up drinks so they are still selling tap beer etc for take away

Also doing deliveries themselves with staff, it's a good way to keep people on if they've got cars/licenses

If you can pivot it can be a good time for some hospo businesses. Everyone still needs to eat, but people don't want to go out. Drawback being that people are also tightening purse strings. My local pizza place does dine in and take away normally, I'm not sure if they are/were on UberEats/Deliveroo but they are now doing their own deliveries. So I would assume that the people who normally work in the dining room bit are doing deliveries. Smart move. The local cafes don't have as much scope and can really just sell take away coffees, pastries etc. over the counter. The local bars basically sold down their inventory and closed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next time, if you are keen to find out more go and pick up the order and ask the pizza shop owner how much he is getting f***ed over. I am sure he/she would be happy to tell you how it works. Many restaurant owners are happy to educate people on what exactly is going on because most of us have no clue what this is doing to the industry.

Uber ****s over their own drivers too

They charge those who register that they’re delivering by car more because they can do more deliveries.
So the people register that they’re delivering by bike instead.

I used to use ubereats quite a bit but realised that we’re being hit with a $5-$10 delivery fee and who I made buying from was worse off. 1 joint I bought a bit from didn’t phase Me (they’re packed at lunch and it would survive without all my money) but the other is a small family owned business. I probably cut back buying from them 10%. But now they’d get more of my money than via ubereats.

But menulog I still use. Look to the left of the logo before you order. It’s 50/50 between “Delivered by Menulog” and “Delivered by Restaurant”

I try and stick to the Delivered by restaurant.

I order my local pizza, my 2nd favourite Indian (favourite uses ubereats, so we dine in there rather than deliver) and try some new places when the restaurant delivers.

But I did like a suggestion I read on this board earlier today (can’t recall if here, support small business, or general covid19 thread). Use online to find the menu, then call direct. Completely cut out the middle man.

Uber take a 20-30% cut and the Refunds policy is ass. IE, We've had entire meals refunded because someone accidently put a coke zero can instead of regular cola.
Maybe I could get Dominos to refund some of my meals because they gave me ranch dressing when I selected no sauce with their popcorn chicken things. :p

i user uber eats. I enjoy the food the driver brings me and i hope that my business is in some very small way helping the restaurant

Mate, use it if you have to but if you can possibly head out and pick it up yourself then the restaurant does a lot better.

Oh wow uber eats now letting you tip the restaurant up to $3 and they will match it up to a total of $1mil allegedly.

So the $30 they just ripped off the restaurant becomes $24 if you pay extra.

campaigners trying to act like they aren't campaigners

Unless you are sick, go pick up your damn food yourself
I must admit that now I’m working from home it’s easier to just order everything online for delivery - take-away, groceries, whatever.

Going out means I have to worry about who I am around, what I’m touching, etc. Then when I get home I have to shower and run everything I was wearing through the wash.

Much easier when it all comes to the door and I can just sanitise it and bring it inside.

These days I only really go out to run the dog.

Last edited:
I must admit that now I’m working from home it’s easier to just order everything online for delivery - take-away, groceries, whatever.

Going out means I have to worry about who I am around, what I’m touching, etc. Then when I get home I have to shower and run everything I was wearing through the wash.

Much easier when it all comes to the door and I can just sanitise it and bring it inside.

These days I only really go out to run the dog.
Are you going to live like that forever? Germs arent just going to disappear...

I'll gladly use UberEats and Menulog. If I'm home alone looking after the kids, I'll order when they go to bed as I cannot leave 2 kids under 7 home alone.

I'm overweight and can be lazy, but money is money and no one is forcing these restaurants to sign up. Most of mine are pizza shops and no name companies operating out of other restaurants e.g Royal Wings (chicken shop) operating out of Burgur (a burger joint). Same address but no phone number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back