UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are these teams who are playing now?
`
upload_2017-7-12_15-55-13.png

Weirdly, aside from Linfield and Celtic, I'm really looking forward to Rijeka and TNS, Mariehamn and Legia, and S Tiraspol and Kukesi. THose should be fun games. I'd really like to see F91 put in a performances against APOEL, who were the main reason Cyrpus boasted a top 15 place in Europe.

`
View attachment 391679

Weirdly, aside from Linfield and Celtic, I'm really looking forward to Rijeka and TNS, Mariehamn and Legia, and S Tiraspol and Kukesi. THose should be fun games. I'd really like to see F91 put in a performances against APOEL, who were the main reason Cyrpus boasted a top 15 place in Europe.

Looking for the next Kramaric?

Linfield V Celtic is the one I'm most looking forward to. Should be an electric atmosphere even though Celtic will smash them.

I'd be surprised if Celtic don't at least come third in the group stage this year

`
View attachment 391679

do the winners of this round automatically make UCL or is there another qualify round after this?

A shame that two league champions in Celtic and Rosenborg are playing each other at this stage. Sadly the big leagues have too much power for it to ever happen but I would love to see more league winners automatically qualify for the group stages at the expense of third and fourth finishers. Would give players more money and incentive to join and stay in these leagues, ultimately bridging the gap.

A shame that two league champions in Celtic and Rosenborg are playing each other at this stage. Sadly the big leagues have too much power for it to ever happen but I would love to see more league winners automatically qualify for the group stages at the expense of third and fourth finishers. Would give players more money and incentive to join and stay in these leagues, ultimately bridging the gap.

918788eea6ae8beec2998d19d68e1faf.jpg

I disagree. Winning the Scottish league us equivalent to winning the a league. I don't want them in the UCL.
Id rather watch the best club teams in the world play

It's how the comp is divided at the 3rd qualifying stage. It's split into 2 groups with a Champions group that consists of 20 teams of league Champions and a League group consisting of 10 teams of non Champions.

It's how the comp is divided at the 3rd qualifying stage. It's split into 2 groups with a Champions group that consists of 20 teams of league Champions and a League group consisting of 10 teams of non Champions.

Except Thistle is saying that champions should automatically go into the group stage, which I'm in favour of. It's a complete wank that clubs like Arsenal always get into the UCL over clubs like Celtic, Rosenburg or whoever else because they finished 4th in England. It's called the UEFA >Champions< League and should be reserved for champions.

Except Thistle is saying that champions should automatically go into the group stage, which I'm in favour of. It's a complete wank that clubs like Arsenal always get into the UCL over clubs like Celtic, Rosenburg or whoever else because they finished 4th in England. It's called the UEFA >Champions< League and should be reserved for champions.
Out of the "Champions Group" in this qualifying round there is 5 Champions guaranteed to go through from the 20 so there is a chance for them. I do agree that 3rd and 4th placed sides shouldn't be in the CL though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do UEFA draw the line though?

Don't think anyone seriously wants the San Marino or Moldova league champions in the group stage

It amazes me how many people will ask a question on a forum and then wait hours for the answer, seemingly not realising that the thing forums are on is something called The World Wide Web AKA The Gatherer of Massive Amounts of Information.

Where do UEFA draw the line though?

Don't think anyone seriously wants the San Marino or Moldova league champions in the group stage

I'm sure that's true but a lot of countries and clubs are getting screwed with how it is. Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade are former European Champions yet they miss out most years so that teams who win the 4th placed trophy in England can get UEFA the TV dollar. Top 16 UEFA ranked countries should have their champions automatically qualify for the group stages.

I'm sure that's true but a lot of countries and clubs are getting screwed with how it is. Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade are former European Champions yet they miss out most years so that teams who win the 4th placed trophy in England can get UEFA the TV dollar. Top 16 UEFA ranked countries should have their champions automatically qualify for the group stages.
You'd rather see Dortmund vs Steaua Bucherest than Dortmund vs Man City?

You'd rather see Dortmund vs Steaua Bucherest than Dortmund vs Man City?

I don't have a good answer for this question, so I'll get Gheorghe Hagi to answer it instead:

“The champions of important countries like Romania, Serbia, Croatia and Poland should go straight to the group stage,” he says. “If I had the power to change it, I’d do it immediately. Not going directly to the group stage separated us from the west; in order to invest internally you have to see a certain perspective outside, and that perspective is the Champions League. It doesn’t make sense for a country that has won the competition, like Romania [through Steaua in 1986], not to have a team there every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back