UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Eriksen didn't do much tonight, but he's a star alright. Midfield finally got to grips with Dortmund in the second half but that first half was uncomfortable viewing for us
We couldn't get on the ball in the first half so he was naturally quiet, but he grew into the game and was crucial in the second half imo. He's a special player.

Uncomfortably viewing, sure, but I didn't mind the pragmatism showed by Pochettino and the rest of the team. Previously in Europe and against the big teams he's refused to compromise on his high pressing, high intensity style, and it's cost us. This was an excellent managerial performance from Pochettino and personally what I wanted to see in Europe from us more often. Also, when you've got a back 5 that is as strong as ours, with Dier and Dembele in front of them you can allow them to have the ball a lot knowing that the defence is so solid. Davinson Sanchez made Aubameyang his bitch in a physical sense.

Highlight of the match...was great to watch.

Takes some confidence to do this

He's mad. Entertaining, exciting and a good player, but he's batshit crazy. I love it.

Also, the refereeing was just weird. Some decisions ranging from bad to downright awful (Aubameyang offside call in the second half, no call for offside in the buildup to Yarmalenko's goal, offside call on Son in the first half when Burki came right off his line, Vertonghen second yellow, yellow card for Dier when he executed a perfect slide tackle, winning the ball), mixed with some decisions that were excellent (no foul from Kane for his goal when Sahin took a massive dive, Aubameyang offside in the first half when he addressed the ball before Pulisic took his shot and a number of other close, but correct, offsides.)

Expect more consistency in Europe tbh.

On balance I think a draw would have been a slightly fairer result. Dortmund could have scored a hatful in the first half and we could (maybe should) have scored at least 4 in the second, with Kane, Son, Alderweireld and Sissoko all missing excellent opportunities on top of the goal that Kane scored. In a game that was so fast and attacking it came down to a battle of the defences and ours was clearly superior. Dortmund were almost naive and even reckless, which I wouldn't have expected from them, on the wide open spaces of Wembley.

Anyway, after the games against Chelsea (both the FA Cup semi and this season) and Burnley where we dominated possession and the game but came away with bad results, it's nice for the reverse to happen for once.

Also, the refereeing was just weird. Some decisions ranging from bad to downright awful (Aubameyang offside call in the second half, no call for offside in the buildup to Yarmalenko's goal, offside call on Son in the first half when Burki came right off his line, Vertonghen second yellow, yellow card for Dier when he executed a perfect slide tackle, winning the ball), mixed with some decisions that were excellent (no foul from Kane for his goal when Sahin took a massive dive, Aubameyang offside in the first half when he addressed the ball before Pulisic took his shot and a number of other close, but correct, offsides.)
Forgot about that one. He looked about a metre off

Klavan was brought in to be an experienced backup behind Matip, Sakho and Lovren.

No way should he go from 4th CB to 2nd CB. We need to buy someone to partner with Matip so Lovren/Klavan get pushed down a spot in the pecking order.
I don't think you have the defensive solidity to be making multiple changes from game to game for rotation. Matip is the best defender in the squad. One game he's got Klavan to his left and TAA to his right. Next it's Lovren and Gomez (and other variations). Moreno or Robertson. Mignolet or Karius.

I think you'd be better served playing the same back 4 for 5-6 games in a row in all comps to build some partnerships. Chopping and changing when the defensive unit is fragile leads to leaked goals. Need a proper DM too.

832c02373cbdc8e587240e0edc8b4592.jpg

So that underserved red that Ver-whatshisname was given - well Goetze has a broken tooth and is off to the dentist. Must have taken some force to do that

We couldn't get on the ball in the first half so he was naturally quiet, but he grew into the game and was crucial in the second half imo. He's a special player.

Uncomfortably viewing, sure, but I didn't mind the pragmatism showed by Pochettino and the rest of the team. Previously in Europe and against the big teams he's refused to compromise on his high pressing, high intensity style, and it's cost us. This was an excellent managerial performance from Pochettino and personally what I wanted to see in Europe from us more often. Also, when you've got a back 5 that is as strong as ours, with Dier and Dembele in front of them you can allow them to have the ball a lot knowing that the defence is so solid. Davinson Sanchez made Aubameyang his bitch in a physical sense.

You make some good points. Tactically I think we made the best of a tricky situation in the first half. I think it was slightly more by luck than design. We defended brilliantly to stop them scoring three or four, but in all fairness the midfielders were getting bossed and they kept losing the ball. Second half though was spot on. They still had more of the ball but were far less dangerous with it and we countered brilliantly and should have scored more goals. Functioned far better in that half

How good is Aurier going to be? Jesus what a piece of business that is. Sell Walker and get a better player at under half the price!

3 Ibes in one team, thats some effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lost me
I've seen people say that Trippier, Walker-Peters and Aurier are better than Walker at various points of the season so far.

Ibe was better than Sterling not that long ago too.

I've seen people say that Trippier, Walker-Peters and Aurier are better than Walker at various points of the season so far.

Trippier stood in for Walker superbly in the run-in last season. He certainly made a lot of fans more comfortable with the prospect of selling Walker. He had a couple of dodgy games at Wembley in the opening weeks though and people are quick to change their opinion. Walker-Peters I doubt anyone has said he's better than Walker. Aurier certainly looks a prospect. It's early days I guess though

Aurier seems very similar to Walker. No end product but quick and great on the ball. If he has less brain fades than walker that'll be s great upgrade

Quotes please. I would be staggered if anyone said KWP was better than Walker without it being tongue in cheek and, while Trippier is better in some areas of the game than Walker, he's absolutely not better than him as a fullback and I'm pretty sure most of the Spurs fans on here acknowledged that.

As for Aurier, there's probably been more non-Spurs fans say he'll bet the best RB in the league and he's an upgrade on Walker than actual Spurs fans.

I'm sure there was plenty of tongue in cheek with Walker -Peters. Maybe even Trippier although there were a lot who were serious (including those who get paid for their opinion).

I find it funny more than anything tbh.

I've always been a big fan of Walker, so I'm not too fussed what Spurs do with their replacement.

Hi WR

Trippier is only better than Walker with the ball at his feet. Defensively he isn't even close to on par. Isn't as quick as walker. But has less brain snaps and can actually cross the ball.

Ref bias towards Tottenham was disgraceful last night. If that shambolic performance by the officials doesn't trigger an inquest and subsequent introduction of VAR, nothing will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back