UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Who do you want to win?

• Tottenham

• Liverpool

• Happy with either

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dutch league chiefs have cancelled a full round of Eredivisie fixtures before Ajax meet Tottenham in the Champions League semi-finals.

Very convenient for Ajax of course but there were no other options. In the last 2 rounds of the Dutch league, all matches must be played at the same time. Playing on Sunday is not allowed by Uefa, because Ajax play Spurs on Tuesday and rules say there must be at least 2 days in between matches. Moving the round to Saturday or Friday evening wasn't an option, because there's not enough police available because of King's day & King's night in the Netherlands. Clubs then preferred to move the whole round to a later weekend to playing on a weeknight.

Peter Walton on espnfc confirming that the Llorente goal under the current rules was correct to have stood. As of June 1st it would of been disallowed

Maybe not. I guess I was just very surprised to see him ahead or been better than Mane and Hazard, the latter carries his club massively.

I don’t even support Spurs and I have Son posters on my wall.

Aguero is the master of the near post blast into the roof of the net. Normally I’d agree on that near post one but Aguero seems to do it to everyone from time to time.

The sterling one is a tough one to keep out from that close range. Made up for that saving a similar one early in the second half
Not saying he didn’t make some great saves throughout the two legs, but think he was somewhat to blame for those two.

With the Sterling one, Lloris was already on the floor sliding into goal before Sterling even has the shot. If he kept his feet as he went across goal as he should of, then it would have been an easy save.

Always have to explain stuff to scousers ;)
More just to show the caliber of players he’s been better than. Hazard gets creamed over, Sterling is (rightfully) classed as world class too.

Sterling is finally hitting his potential. Think it’s a great story because for a while he certainly copped it for being a flop for being unable to reach those lofty heights. Pep has taken his game up a notch.

Might have not won a champions league since Barca but has had some incredible impact on individual players. Thiago at Bayern too.

Sterling is finally hitting his potential. Think it’s a great story because for a while he certainly copped it for being a flop for being unable to reach those lofty heights. Pep has taken his game up a notch.

Might have not won a champions league since Barca but has had some incredible impact on individual players. Thiago at Bayern too.
I do think that’s a big reason why the “pep is fraud” claptrap is a little overblown. He is very good at developing players.

If you asked fans who their favourite player was not at their club, I’m pretty sure Son would comfortably top the list. Amazing player who will probably retire as the best player to ever come from the Asian confederation.

If anyone genuinely thinks or calls Pep a fraud, it’s pretty fair to question any other views they hold on football. The man is a freak, his trophy cabinet proves it, and so does the improvement he gets out of players as individuals. Champions Leagues are very hard to win. That’s all. It’s not like Messi is winning it every other year since Pep left.

I do think that’s a big reason why the “pep is fraud” claptrap is a little overblown. He is very good at developing players.
People take for granted what a good job Pep does in developing players due to the money City have. Reality is City and Utd have spent similar amounts yet the gulf in performance is stark.

Can’t believe it’s even a discussion really

it's because of the insane standards pep puts on himself. he strives for perfect football, and perfect football will forever be unobtainable.

26 trophies in 10 years and when he leaves us we will be absolutely set for the next decade, just like barca have been.

Alright last one I promise. :brokenheart:

I think he exuded so much energy when City scored that he simply didn’t give a toss when he realised the goal was disallowed. It was like “meh, we are out” at the end. Contrasting reactions lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is great to see the sheer euphoria people experience in moments like those.

For me, the equivalent is being at a live show and hearing a song you love come on.
Like the opening piano lines of Backstreets or Jungleland? :)

Like the opening piano lines of Backstreets or Jungleland? :)
Nah, that's more of an overwhelming feeling.

It would be like singing BTR in full voice with friends and strangers, or belting out Badlands at the top of your lungs without a care in the world.

Nah, that's more of an overwhelming feeling.

It would be like singing BTR in full voice with friends and strangers, or belting out Badlands at the top of your lungs without a care in the world.
i felt all of thise emotions on Thursday morning, jumping around the loungeroom in absolute delerium with my 15yo son. One of the best feelings i've had.

Last edited:
It is great to see the sheer euphoria people experience in moments like those.

For me, the equivalent is being at a live show and hearing a song you love come on.
My favourite thing in football is that fleeting moment of silence between the time when a shot leaves a player's boot and the pandemonium after it hits the back of the net. It's like that collective drawing of breath is the optimism and hope that draws everyone to the game in microcosm.

Son is suspended for the first leg against Ajax? Yikes, that might be tough. I still like Spurs to win the tie though. Ajax have been brilliant though but surely their run will come to an end at some point.

Not sure who'd I'd prefer in the final, if we get by Barcelona of course.

I was confident at getting past Barca a week or so ago, but as the game looms, I'm thinking we might be in trouble. Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho... yikes.

Son is suspended for the first leg against Ajax? Yikes, that might be tough. I still like Spurs to win the tie though. Ajax have been brilliant though but surely their run will come to an end at some point.

Not sure who'd I'd prefer in the final, if we get by Barcelona of course.

I was confident at getting past Barca a week or so ago, but as the game looms, I'm thinking we might be in trouble. Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho... yikes.

As much as it pains me to admit it, Liverpool's current form makes them one of the few sides who could push Barca all the way.

As much as it pains me to admit it, Liverpool's current form makes them one of the few sides who could push Barca all the way.
Look I hope so, not to s**t stir but United have been in terrible form and werent exactly blown away by Barca despite losing 4-0 on aggregate. We have a far better defense than United and a far better attack. Well we are right now just a far better side than United and the performance of Barca against United gives me hope that we can turn them over.

Messi is the danger, capable of anything at any time. He's the greatest of all time so we will have to be right on our game and take our chances when we create them. I think Barca's defense can definitely be gotten at so we will see!

Back