• Tottenham

• Liverpool

• Happy with either

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the orange sash

david-silva-man-city-hoffenheim.jpg

the worst refs always end up in the cl somehow

This just indicates how a system with refs is no longer sustainable. These aren't the worst refs around. These guys are generally the best refs in the countries they're from. They are the best of hundreds or thousands of referees. It's beyond me how some keep opposing VAR while simultaneously complaining about refereeing decisions. VAR should only be the beginning of something better and the CL should have adopted it already.

This just indicates how a system with refs is no longer sustainable. These aren't the worst refs around. These guys are generally the best refs in the countries they're from. They are the best of hundreds or thousands of referees. It's beyond me how some keep opposing VAR while simultaneously complaining about refereeing decisions. VAR should only be the beginning of something better and the CL should have adopted it already.

Weirdly many who don't like VAR justify not liking it because they claim to enjoy complaining about the ref. Such a weird point of view.

Maybe it's time for a "The Death of the Manchester United football club" as its supporters mourn a season of non-European football.
didn't play Champions League in 2015 we're use to it lol.

No Dembele, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Dele Alli, Aurier and Lloris 50/50 at best for Barcelona tomorrow :(

We could/should be 6 points off 2nd by the end of tomorrow. Strange that 5 of the 6 injured had very limited pre-season breaks?

For me it's a lack of faith that VAR would be any more consistent than other things like retrospective punishment etc.

I remember watching Howard Webb commentating that Jesus Navas was fouled and it was in the penalty area but it was a brave decision not to give the penalty as he fell a bit funny. He's the type that would probably head up VAR.

front 3 looks sublime. back 4 all over the place. midfield okay. think last time i saw laporte at lb i hoped it was the last time. might take up prayer. dont understand pep's insistence to not play strongest side in the cl. vinny should not be starting ahead of stones. very open game, lots of errors and a ******* woeful ref causing lots of confusion for both sides.
Do you trust John Stones defensively? Great asset in build up play but for me he doesn't have anywhere near the positional awareness or interception ability needed to be an elite CB in a more defensive system, let alone Pep's system.

Tottenham vs Barca what a cracker that promises to be.

Napoli vs Pool - Ohhhhh yeeaaahhhhh

Dortmund vs Monaco another beauty and PSV vs Inter could be special.

Gotta love the Champ League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you trust John Stones defensively? Great asset in build up play but for me he doesn't have anywhere near the positional awareness or interception ability needed to be an elite CB in a more defensive system, let alone Pep's system.
yes. he constantly intercepts passes. hell, he was the first sub and went into midfield for otamendi and we instantly looked better.

i think vinny is a case of the mind is willing but the body isnt able. his positioning 40 seconds into the match was just absurd.

yes. he constantly intercepts passes. hell, he was the first sub and went into midfield for otamendi and we instantly looked better.

i think vinny is a case of the mind is willing but the body isnt able. his positioning 40 seconds into the match was just absurd.
I noticed that too but that was more in your build up rather than you being better defensively. Stones as a double pivot meant that Hoffenheim's three forwards couldn't block passes into midfield as easily so you were able to move the ball through midfield better.

I don't know, I watch a fair few City games but I'm sure you watch more so I'll take your word for it if you think his interceptions have improved. His 1v1 defending is still really bad though. I've noticed an improvement from his first year at City but he was a complete liability then. Against all opponents he immediately started retreating into a low block, when playing high, when he couldn't block and didn't have support. Stones almost singlehandedly ended Bravo's career by allowing so many good shots in the box. Maybe I'm basing too much of my thinking from that season but tbh I think there's a reason Pep didn't partner him with Kompany in this game.

Also yes Kompany made a number of weird decisions.

I noticed that too but that was more in your build up rather than you being better defensively. Stones as a double pivot meant that Hoffenheim's three forwards couldn't block passes into midfield as easily so you were able to move the ball through midfield better.

I don't know, I watch a fair few City games but I'm sure you watch more so I'll take your word for it if you think his interceptions have improved. His 1v1 defending is still really bad though. I've noticed an improvement from his first year at City but he was a complete liability then. Against all opponents he immediately started retreating into a low block, when playing high, when he couldn't block and didn't have support. Stones almost singlehandedly ended Bravo's career by allowing so many good shots in the box. Maybe I'm basing too much of my thinking from that season but tbh I think there's a reason Pep didn't partner him with Kompany in this game.

Also yes Kompany made a number of weird decisions.
well right now our best cb pairing is otamendi and laporte. first season was difficult on everyone because it was such a transitional season. thought he was a lot better last season, and certainly doesnt make me nervous having him at the back.

well right now our best cb pairing is otamendi and laporte. first season was difficult on everyone because it was such a transitional season. thought he was a lot better last season, and certainly doesnt make me nervous having him at the back.
He would make me nervous defending against good dribbling forwards but he has definitely improved. In a different player I might be more worried but he didn't go through a big clubs academy so I guess it's reasonable to expect that he needed time to adapt to a completely different defensive style, even to Martinez at Everton.

He would make me nervous defending against good dribbling forwards but he has definitely improved. In a different player I might be more worried but he didn't go through a big clubs academy so I guess it's reasonable to expect that he needed time to adapt to a completely different defensive style, even to Martinez at Everton.
you could count the amount of cbs who wouldn't make you nervous with a forward dribbling at them one one hand currently.

Back