UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Who do you want to win?

• Tottenham

• Liverpool

• Happy with either

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s this ‘should beat Liverpool’ nonsense? Seriously, for the first time in my life following Liverpool, I can safely say that Liverpool ‘should’ always expect to win. Every area on the field is filled with class and committed intensity. Gomez, TAA, and Matip should all be available and only the loss of VVD will be of any concern. There is plenty of coverage now though. It would be an absolute treat if the Ox was also available.
Has Bayern not beaten every team the last few years other than Madrid? Liverpool in their CL run last year couldn't beat them either and they haven't proven themselves year after year yet. They almost didn't qualify from the group due to Napoli...got through due to a very lucky tiebreaker

And what Bayern came through a group of death? AEK languishing some 15 points off the pace in Greece, Benfica sitting 4th in Portugal and Ajax is average at best by Champions league standards.

Bayern have quality and deserve respect, but key players have aged. Neuer hasn't been the same since missing basically the whole of 17-18 season. Robben and Ribery both have aged. Lewandowski still a world class striker. There is still a core group of players there that are very good, Thiago, Hummles, James(not sure if injured or just out of favour?) Alaba etc. Which makes them dangerous but far from unbeatable.

Everything being fair and equal I think 8/10 average football fans would be picking Liverpool to come through this tie.

I think we're in for 2 great games but ultimately Bayern have more quality all over the park and more experience. My only concern is keeping Coman and Gnabry healthy for the next 2 months, and that Boateng will be on the bench so Hummels/Suele can play.

Has Bayern not beaten every team the last few years other than Madrid? Liverpool in their CL run last year couldn't beat them either and they haven't proven themselves year after year yet. They almost didn't qualify from the group due to Napoli...got through due to a very lucky tiebreaker

I admire what Liverpool are doing and I love Klopp but Bayern is the 2nd best CL team

I think Liverpool will go through but thinking about how good Bayern looked against Real it may be closer than I initially thought. They do seem to have regressed this season though.

Bayern have a great team in need of refreshment. Not sure if Neueur can get back to his pre injury levels but it has seriously affected him. Ribery / Robben are great players but now in the pensioner category. Muller banned.

I'd have Bayern as slight favourites but hopefully our pace & physicality can cause them significant issues. These are the sorts of CL ties you live for.

Yeah I'm much more excited about facing a strong team rather than a Besiktas/Sevilla/Arsenal. If we win then great signs, if we lose then * it not good enough anyway.

I think Neuer is obviously struggling post-injury but I trust he'll get back to top form, I think part of his struggles are how bad our defense has been in general this season. Robben/Ribery I agree with, then again I wrote off Ribery last year and he was our best player against Madrid.

My issue is with the ‘should beat Liverpool’ comment. That just isn’t the feeling I get with any match-up for this Liverpool team. They have finally got the team mix spot-on and if they play with the probing zest that they show at their best they will be very hard to beat now that they are solid defensively. Bayern have a wealth of experienced heads, I agree, but they are not currently a force. If they were Barcelona of a few years back I might agree but Bayern are not a scary proposition like that.

My issue is with the ‘should beat Liverpool’ comment. That just isn’t the feeling I get with any match-up for this Liverpool team. They have finally got the team mix spot-on and if they play with the probing zest that they show at their best they will be very hard to beat now that they are solid defensively. Bayern have a wealth of experienced heads, I agree, but they are not currently a force. If they were Barcelona of a few years back I might agree but Bayern are not a scary proposition like that.

How do you reckon you guys will rebuild? Obviously not possible in the Bundesliga to spend 100m each window like PSG. I guess you'll be looking to target top Bumdesliga young talent almost out of contract.

How do you reckon you guys will rebuild? Obviously not possible in the Bundesliga to spend 100m each window like PSG. I guess you'll be looking to target top Bumdesliga young talent almost out of contract.
I’m a Liverpool man. No rebuild for our mob for a while. Bayern, on the other hand won’t need a ‘rebuild’ as such. They are so well run professionally that they will never fall far.

Tolisso, Coman, Gnabry, Suele, Kimmich, Goretzka is a pretty decent core of under 25 yearold players. None of them will be world class except Kimmich though. The pres has alluded to 'big spending' in the coming Summer so we'll see who we get. (inb4 unknown german midfielder from Hoffenheim)

I’m a Liverpool man. No rebuild for our mob for a while. Bayern, on the other hand won’t need a ‘rebuild’ as such. They are so well run professionally that they will never fall far.

Sorry my bad supposed to reply to perthblue !!

It's the change in our defense which makes us a real threat in this competition. We are so hard to score again and goals are so vital. We cough up so few of them.

Bayern hold no fears for us. Doesnt mean we wont lose the tie, but we will certainly go into it brimming with confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tot vs Dort

Pool-Bayern the next week along with Athletico-Juve

Holy s**t campaigners. Heaven.

Puts United in a very good position.

Mbappe vs Ashley Young might be a bit funny though :grin:
Yeh, if Mbappe does not track back Youngy will make him look stupid.

I think the best we can hope for is to hold Dortmund to a draw at Wembley this week, and then hope to get something from our trip there with Kane and Dele back.

It is the Optus Sport Youtube channel, and as per the article: "2 Champion League matches from round of 16 and 2 games from the quarter-finals will be broadcast live over YouTube." This will be free for everyone, whether or not you are a subscriber to Optus Sport. Of course those of us with an Optus Sport subscription can also watch the way we always do.

Back