UEFA Champions League 2019/20 (Round of 16)

RPCB

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Wow. Olympiacos penalty to try to keep their European campaign alive.

And it’s a goal. 1-0. 3 minutes plus stoppage time left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Not good enough for a side with ambition. Should be at a Bournemouth or someone. He can’t compete against top players like this Bayern midfield have
Or if at a top 6 club he is squad member number 25. Break this glass in case of emergency at RB, CB, CM

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
All teams from the top 5 leagues. UEFA will be happy.
As per usual it is pretty much the richest 2 clubs from each group go through.

Arguable with Inter and Dortmund who is richer.

The "champions" league is just a european super league

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Can VAR give free kicks and yellow cards? I thought it was just for reds only.
No it can't but it was an appalling decision by the ref, and when VAR just ignores a clear ref card offence you have to question the point of it as well.

Thistle

Premiership Player
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
As per usual it is pretty much the richest 2 clubs from each group go through.

Arguable with Inter and Dortmund who is richer.

The "champions" league is just a european super league
Sadly that's the state of the sport and the direction UEFA want, which will and is killing the competitiveness of teams in other nations.

Love the rare exception when teams like Ajax and Monaco buck the trend and go on fairytale runs, but even then they just get gutted by the big boys at the next window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossFC

May 23, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
No it can't bit it was an appalling decision by the ref, and when VAR just ignores a clear ref card offence you have to question the point of it as well.
I consider it orange card territory. Reminds me of Fellaini how he would escape with nothing, or a yellow heaps of times for his elbows.

I personally would have given a yellow card at minimum.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Var is great

That's not a VAR call, that is a referee call. And it could have gone either way. You don't hear Liverpool fans complaining about VAR conspiracies after Koulibally virtually rugby tackled Salah in MD5 and got away with it.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I consider it orange card territory. Reminds me of Fellaini how he would escape with nothing, or a yellow heaps of times for his elbows.

I personally would have given a yellow card at minimum.
Yep, he only has eyes for the ball and his opponent moves into him. VAR would have 100 given the red card if he looked at his opponent and deliberately went for him. VAR was right to not get involved in this incident whether it was a red or a yellow card.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If we are to truly progress as a club he can't be a starter
With everyone fit he surely wouldn't get near your first XI. Still not a bad player to have in a squad. Sort of similar to Milner in that he can fill in for a number of roles.

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
That's not a VAR call, that is a referee call. And it could have gone either way. You don't hear Liverpool fans complaining about VAR conspiracies after Koulibally virtually rugby tackled Salah in MD5 and got away with it.
no only in games with martin atkinson reffing

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
With everyone fit he surely wouldn't get near your first XI. Still not a bad player to have in a squad. Sort of similar to Milner in that he can fill in for a number of roles.
He and Wanyama are our only 2 defensive midfielders. And he is actually a lot better than Wanyama!

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
There's dozens of posts from Liverpool supporters complaining about that decision just on Big Footy.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There's dozens of posts from Liverpool supporters complaining about that decision just on Big Footy.
Yeah their sure is. But those complaints weren't being turned into some anti- LFC conspiracy. I remember someone from another club claiming they could not remember a single subjective decision going their way in the CL. Can't remember who it was.

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Yeah their sure is. But those complaints weren't being turned into some anti- LFC conspiracy. I remember someone from another club claiming they could not remember a single subjective decision going their way in the CL. Can't remember who it was.
I posted what imo was a clear red card offence, and said that it was an appalling decision by the ref and that if VAR is going to ignore offences like that then I struggle to see the point of VAR.

The only one talking about conspiracies is you.

Top Bottom