UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to find a way to have less games. We can't be having 20 hour breaks between games.

Klopp & the club were dead set against this. Something will have to give now whether it's the League Cup , FA Cup or an 18 team PL.

On top of this Cameroon are wanting to play AFCON in January.

It should be done by reducing PL to 18 teams / 34 games but that's unlikely unfortunately.

No club in their right mind would sign off on increasing the chance they won't be in the PL.

Before the TV deals were quite so lucrative.

True. Something will have to give though - AFCON in January, 17 game Champions League followed by Club World Cup in Summer 2021. It's just too much football. Suspect the League Cup won't be around for too much longer in its current format at the rate things are going.

At the expense of FA Cup replays I suspect, further destroying sources of income for smaller clubs.
What are some ways to counteract that? Split the gate for FA Cup games? Offer double the prize money for advancing?

Can't the smaller clubs fight back. Like Fulham, Leeds, West Brom, Norwich, Brighton etc.. they have no say in these CL decisions cos they take no part and if that impacts league cup and FA cup which is a source of income for them.

Can't they come together and like go on strike. All of them refuse to play PL and Championship matches. Something like that.

Can't the smaller clubs fight back. Like Fulham, Leeds, West Brom, Norwich, Brighton etc.. they have no say in these CL decisions cos they take no part and if that impacts league cup and FA cup which is a source of income for them.

Can't they come together and like go on strike. All of them refuse to play PL and Championship matches. Something like that.
What on earth?

What on earth?
Well you're saying the big clubs decisions impact the smaller ones right? More CL games and maybe the League Cup get scrapped losing revenue for smaller clubs. Can they take a stand and say we ain't playing league games.

Something like that. Pretty drastic though. You just feel for the smaller clubs as the rich get richer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you're saying the big clubs decisions impact the smaller ones right? More CL games and maybe the League Cup get scrapped losing revenue for smaller clubs. Can they take a stand and say we ain't playing league games.

Something like that. Pretty drastic though. You just feel for the smaller clubs as the rich get richer.

The league would fine them and defeat the purpose.

True. Something will have to give though - AFCON in January, 17 game Champions League followed by Club World Cup in Summer 2021. It's just too much football. Suspect the League Cup won't be around for too much longer in its current format at the rate things are going.
A CWC will surely devalue the achievements of whoever wins the Champions League. I don’t see a need for both. CL is non-negotiable so scrap the idea of a CWC.

EFL Cup is something to cut. Teams aren't full strength, fans don't go.

A good cup run can keep a club afloat, or really help with infrastructure/financial security.

Would hate to lose the league cup.

A good cup run can keep a club afloat, or really help with infrastructure/financial security.

If it's all about money then put more money in the FA Cup to compensate for it.

I see Pep has said that scrapping the League Cup needs to be looked at. Perhaps a better solutions is to make it a U23 only cup.

I quite like the idea of a proper U23 cup, but I don't think it's fair on the lower league clubs (would they have a team of U23 contracted players)?

And I'm sure it wouldn't hold they same interest as the current league cup.

I quite like the idea of a proper U23 cup, but I don't think it's fair on the lower league clubs (would they have a team of U23 contracted players)?

And I'm sure it wouldn't hold they same interest as the current league cup.

Isn't there already a U23 cup?

Isn't there already a U23 cup?

More the idea of an U23 cup with the best players in it, not the current one that is players that can't make the senior squad.

It's not a realistic option though.

More the idea of an U23 cup with the best players in it, not the current one that is players that can't make the senior squad.

It's not a realistic option though.

I'm not sure what you mean then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back