UEFA Champions League 2020/21 - Chelsea FC Champions.

Venkman

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
people bagging Bayern have nfi, they were/ are class - that whole game was played at a higher level than the others.

people bagging Bayern have nfi, they were/ are class - that whole game was played at a higher level than the others.
Don’t think anyone is bagging them. Someone stated they ‘destroyed’ PSG. How do you destroy a team when conceding three goals?

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
No ones doubting their class, they just failed to adapt without Lewa

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I reckon it's a symptom of the whole Liverpool defence being much more under pressure. This time last season they had scored 66 and conceded 21. This season F51, A36.

But like I said, I think TAA would be better off in a more advanced position like Beckham used to play.
The problem with that is that we dont play with wide midfielders. We play a midfield central three with wide forwards and the full back over lapping. So moving him up the ground would be moving him into Salah's position which obviously wont work.

The whole team is down this season, TAA included. He will be better once he has Joe Gomez and VVD next to him and Fabinho and Henderson in midfield giving him a bit of protection. No doubt he's in terrible form though but I'm not too worried, form is temporary and class is permanent.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
He was poor defensively but amazing with the ball at his feet. Left foot or right foot he can ping an inch perfect pass 40 yards. I've long been convinced he's not playing in the correct position. Move him further forward and he will start curling shots into the top corner like Becks used to.

He has been quite poor on the ball too this season. He was able to have a better game against Arsenal because....it's Arsenal. He basically had Auba as his opponent who offers nothing and Liverpool had majority of the ball so he was able to camp in our half. Madrid didn't give him that kind of freedom and he struggled. Vinicious absolutely wrecked him.

I agree he needs Hendo or Fab to protect him when he marauds forward and having VVD or Gomez would definitely help because they can actually defend so even if they have to get pulled out of position, theres better odds that they'll win it and save his skin.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
We are playing Phillips at CB who just can't cope with pace and quality movement. Have to remember that he was playing second division in Germany last season and is our 6th choice CB.

Put any RB alongside him in a team that presses high and they will have issues. Certainly in normal circumstances Gomez or Matip has the pace to cover TAA's forays forward.

That will all be resolved next season when we get Van Dijk back, Gomez back and hopefully Konate.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The problem with that is that we dont play with wide midfielders. We play a midfield central three with wide forwards and the full back over lapping. So moving him up the ground would be moving him into Salah's position which obviously wont work.

The whole team is down this season, TAA included. He will be better once he has Joe Gomez and VVD next to him and Fabinho and Henderson in midfield giving him a bit of protection. No doubt he's in terrible form though but I'm not too worried, form is temporary and class is permanent.

It seems a long time ago now but in November Liverpool smashed Leicester 3-0 to go joint top and set a record 64-match unbeaten home league run. VVD, TAA, Gomez, Henderson, Thiago and Salah were all missing. Milner was outstanding at RB until he switched to midfield when Keita went off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if Liverpool might have done better leaving Milner at RB and trying TAA in one of the midfield three roles.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
It seems a long time ago now but in November Liverpool smashed Leicester 3-0 to go joint top and set a record 64-match unbeaten home league run. VVD, TAA, Gomez, Henderson, Thiago and Salah were all missing. Milner was outstanding at RB until he switched to midfield when Keita went off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if Liverpool might have done better leaving Milner at RB and trying TAA in one of the midfield three roles.
Who knows, I dont think he has the close control and ball retention to play CM. He apparently played their as a youth but RB was a way into the first team. I think his game has changed playing there for near on four years now that he would need to work a lot on his game to move into midfield.

I'm absolutely fine with him at RB. Opposition fans like to say he's absolutely awful defensively so they can hang there hat on something. The truth is that he is an average defender. Not awful. He can do a job defensively and what he gives going forward is massive for what we do. This season he hasnt had Hendo and Fab protecting and Gomez and VVD beside him which put together with a drop in confidence and form has meant he's struggled.

I have faith he will be absolutely fine next season if we can get all our players back.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
only real concern is our finishing. especially at this stage of the competition, we've really struggled to get those 2-3 goals that we should be scoring consistently. finish like we did in germany and dortmund could really punish us. same again if we do get through, other teams have a consistent goal scorer up front that we dont really have, unless kun quickly finds form again

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I'm absolutely fine with him at RB. Opposition fans like to say he's absolutely awful defensively so they can hang there hat on something. The truth is that he is an average defender. Not awful. He can do a job defensively and what he gives going forward is massive for what we do. This season he hasnt had Hendo and Fab protecting and Gomez and VVD beside him which put together with a drop in confidence and form has meant he's struggled.

Its not hanging your hat on anything, he has been defensively crap. If he needs these other players around to protect him is he really that good of a defender?

Going forward he was great(more RWB than RB), but that seems to have deserted him too.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Strange considering you’ve put yourself in the tie more goals down and with your home record

Anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt we over turn Real at Anfield. If we had our full team with no injuries and crowds in stadiums, then I'd back us to turn it around.

You never know with BVB, you do have Haaland after all who is just stupid.

Back