UEFA Champions League 2021/22 (Winners: Real Madrid)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad the way Pool fans have turned on TAA. I feel like they always felt insecure about him and now he’s a scapegoat. Terrible performance from him last night though, especially defensively. Questions do need to be asked.
The template to play them is attack TAA and the gaps he leaves. Konate covered his ass so many times

Sad the way Pool fans have turned on TAA. I feel like they always felt insecure about him and now he’s a scapegoat. Terrible performance from him last night though, especially defensively. Questions do need to be asked.

But jod23 told me his poor defending was a myth?

The sooner Trent plays the Henderson/Milne jack of all trades mainly midfield related but fills in as a RB in emergencies the better for everyone

Have only seen the extended highlights, Courtois in beast mode. Liverpool with some excellent chances to put that match away.

Didn’t know why Benzema’s goal didn’t stand until I’ve read the explanation here. Unlucky to have that ruled out.

The winner however, I just can’t understand the space Viniscius has. Very very poor positioning to allow him that much time and space to score.

The template to play them is attack TAA and the gaps he leaves. Konate covered his ass so many times

That's the way Liverpool set up. The full backs push down the line with TAA sometimes drifting into the middle like Cancelo does for City. Van Dijk/Konate/Matip are usually good enough to mop up with help from Henderson or Fabinho.

But in this case the goal wasn't due to the team being stretched by their tactics. It was poor defending by TAA. I don't reckon Robertson concedes that goal on the other side, or Reece James at RB.

0_liv-flagjpeg.jpg

That's the way Liverpool set up. The full backs push down the line with TAA sometimes drifting into the middle like Cancelo does for City. Van Dijk/Konate/Matip are usually good enough to mop up with help from Henderson or Fabinho.

But in this case the goal wasn't due to the team being stretched by their tactics. It was poor defending by TAA. I don't reckon Robertson concedes that goal on the other side, or Reece James at RB.
It's the way they setup but the LB never gets exposed at the same rate TAA does.

Where was Robbo when Valverde received the ball to set the goal?

Not sure what point you're making by picking out a singular example when the comparison is between Robbo and Trent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what point you're making by picking out a singular example when the comparison is between Robbo and Trent.
Someone said doesn’t reckon Robertson concedes that goal on other side

Time for Trent to move into the middle. His role works against lesser teams in the league where he can sit right up the field playmaking and his defending (or lack of) isn’t as crucial. The positives outweighs the negatives there. But against better opposition he gets burnt time and time again. Play him as an RCM and get someone behind him at RB to cover his ass would be where he excels

The sooner Trent plays the Henderson/Milne jack of all trades mainly midfield related but fills in as a RB in emergencies the better for everyone

Won't (and shouldn't) happen.

He and Robertson play high up the field by design in a deliberate risk/reward trade off. Through their unique talents and the way we use them tactically, they have become our primary creative outlets, (arguably) 2 of the best fullbacks on the planet, and fundamental to our success over the last 5 years.

Bottom line - if these 2 play fullback the 'traditional' way, or you slot another more defensively minded player into these positions instead, our system doesn't work, and we don't win as many games.

Notwithstanding, Arnold was poor defensively today. Ball watching for Vinicius' goal and I saw communication breakdowns on 2 or 3 other occasions between he and Henderson with regards to who was supposed to be covering the overlapping runner. He wasn't the reason we lost though. I was far more frustrated by our wastefulness in attack.

Gareth Bale gets another Champions League medal. What a legend.
Gareth Bale has more CL and more La Liga trophies at Madrid than Ronaldo 🤷‍♂️

Well done to Madrid. They had a plan - let Liverpool do they want at the back, give them no space at the front and try and pinch one - and they pulled it off.

It was laughable at times watching VVD with the ball at his feet with Benzama 5m away and Benzama didn’t even think of pressing or defending. Set the defence at the back - keep Liverpool out - and hope for one moment going the other way. Which they got.

Essentially Madrid did nothing but attack Liverpools known weaknesses - they don’t like a bus - so we’ll park one - and they are susceptible down TAA’s wing.

On another day one of Mane or Salah’s chances go in and we have a different game.

Ultimately Madrid are infinitely more flexible in how they play. They had a plan, they were disciplined and they pulled it off. Too good - well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back