UEFA Champions League 2021/22 (Winners: Real Madrid)

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't (and shouldn't) happen.

He and Robertson play high up the field by design in a deliberate risk/reward trade off. Through their unique talents and the way we use them tactically, they have become our primary creative outlets, (arguably) 2 of the best fullbacks on the planet, and fundamental to our success over the last 5 years.

Bottom line - if these 2 play fullback the 'traditional' way, or you slot another more defensively minded player into these positions instead, our system doesn't work, and we don't win as many games.

Notwithstanding, Arnold was poor defensively today. Ball watching for Vinicius' goal and I saw communication breakdowns on 2 or 3 other occasions between he and Henderson with regards to who was supposed to be covering the overlapping runner. He wasn't the reason we lost though. I was far more frustrated by our wastefulness in attack.
He isnt good enough to play the role and cover the defending part of being a defender. Unlike Robertson

Gareth Bale has more CL and more La Liga trophies at Madrid than Ronaldo 🤷‍♂️

Well done to Madrid. They had a plan - let Liverpool do they want at the back, give them no space at the front and try and pinch one - and they pulled it off.

It was laughable at times watching VVD with the ball at his feet with Benzama 5m away and Benzama didn’t even think of pressing or defending. Set the defence at the back - keep Liverpool out - and hope for one moment going the other way. Which they got.

Essentially Madrid did nothing but attack Liverpools known weaknesses - they don’t like a bus - so we’ll park one - and they are susceptible down TAA’s wing.

On another day one of Mane or Salah’s chances go in and we have a different game.

Ultimately Madrid are infinitely more flexible in how they play. They had a plan, they were disciplined and they pulled it off. Too good - well done.
I don’t know about that. How long can you think this before eventually it has to be questioned. Three Cup finals this year with multiple half chances but no goals.
I’ve been saying for a while that our high line only produces goals against weak opposition. We give up at least one golden opportunity every game which can be fatal in big games against buses.

Wonder how many games Liverpool didn't score in this season. Can't imagine it would have been many. No goals in 330 minutes of Cup finals is quite staggering really.

If it was a once off you'd palm it off, but there's no doubting it's been a theme for us both in the cup finals and in the bigger league games (6 draws v top 4 opponents) this year.

Over the last 20-30 years we've been accustomed to being the 'hunter' and going into these sorts of games with nothing to lose. To be the 'hunted' and the expectations that go with that is definitely a different type of pressure.

Not saying they can't handle it (we did win 2 of those 3 cup finals and come within 1 point of winning the league), but I wonder if the players approach these bigger games differently now vs the first few years of Klopp's reign. Winning vs 'not losing'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know about that. How long can you think this before eventually it has to be questioned. Three Cup finals this year with multiple half chances but no goals.
I’ve been saying for a while that our high line only produces goals against weak opposition. We give up at least one golden opportunity every game which can be fatal in big games against buses.
But that is the weakness.

Klopp will argue that is he is playing beautiful football. Pep will argue the same. But pushing so hard creates space at the back and space at the back can be exploited.

It is not an accident that Barca won 10 league titles with Messi and only 4 CL’s. Madrid win only 2 league titles and matches Barca’s 4 CL’s with Ronaldo.

Man city have won 4 league titles playing Pep’s system and cannot win the CL.

Liverpool have won the league title once and scored 90 points another 2 times losing to City but are 1 from 3 in CL finals.

There is definitely a patten that the pressing and possession and high line game favoured by Klopp/Pep is better suited to league campaigns than it is to elite cup finals.

As I said in my initial post, if Liverpool manage to score this morning we have a very different game. But Madrid are capable of adapting their game and scoring goals late if they need to - ie. City game.

But, Ancelotti gambled this morning that if Madrid played a massive block they would stop Liverpool scoring - which they did - and eventually at least one chance would come against the high line and and with their quality they might pinch a goal from that - which they did.

This morning was a coaching masterclass by Ancelotti. Yes it might have gone differently but the way it went was precisely what Madrid planned for and exactly what Madrid implemented.

The predictability of a huge press and high line is a huge disadvantage in a one off cup final. Obviously it needs a crazy good team to exploit it - and Liverpool were not playing mugs today.

Credit where it is due.

I don't think Liverpool got their tactics wrong or were mentally weak. They had 9 shots on target compared to 2. It came down to one moment of bad defending by TAA and some great goalkeeping by Courtois.

For that matter, City didn't get their tactics wrong in the semi either. Madrid's first shot on target was at 90 minutes. In retrospect, you can argue the toss about Pep's choice of subs but with a two goal lead with not long to go I think he made the right calls.

Umm no Michael.

Who are you to disagree with Michael?!?!

What we need to solve this question is a competition of sorts. A competition where the best teams from around Europe can compete to decide who is the best team in Europe. Any ideas Chef?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back