UEFA charge Celtic over Palestine flags

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pretty complex issue with strong arguments on both sides.

I personally think football should bring people together and so the leaving out of politics is something I agree with. That being said, football is definitely a powerful vehicle for trying to communicate a message or raise awareness to the wider community so I can see why it may have happened.

Credit to the Celtic fans - they were true to their word and raised quite a sum for charity.

Palestine / Israel situation is a complex political dispute with two sides to the story. Football is not the vehicle that should be used to push a political agenda. Leave it out of football please and protest about it elsewhere by all means.

Again with the "politics" minimisation. Probably not a refugee camp for Israelis, is there?

Pretending this is a dispute between two equal sides is a complete distortion of the facts.

Last edited:
The dispute is another matter altogether. The point here is that football isn't the time and place to bring it up, least of all against a club affected by it. UEFA do little right but penalising Celtic for this was the right thing to do IMO.

Great that Palestinian charities got to benefit as a result too.

Bomberboy the social justice warrior! Keep the red flag flying high comrade!
This really isn't the correct context in which to use the whole 'SJW' thing. In any case, i didn't actually know there were people that used that in a completely sincere, un-ironic way.

This really isn't the correct context in which to use the whole 'SJW' thing. In any case, i didn't actually know there were people that used that in a completely sincere, un-ironic way.
SJW's would be anti-Isreal I would assume. Seen bomberboy's posts before, and I can confirm he is your SJW type

Funny thing is, if we gave Northern Ireland back it would cripple the republic. The north is a real basket case. Anyway, giving it back now would be unjust to all the Protestants who have been there for hundreds of years.

Who gives a crap about the Protestants, they are the equivalent of pro-apartheid South Africans.

They don't deserve any special consideration.

He was trying to get Australians to support England in Euro 2016 because of "bloodline" and said our countries "need to start standing side by side", so hmmm...

There are many, they probably also use the word "cuck" with a straight face

SJW's would be anti-Isreal I would assume. Seen bomberboy's posts before, and I can confirm he is your SJW type
I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. There are many people who are critical of Israel, their foreign policy and their treatment of Palestinians, and many of those critical are Jews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me give you a hint - the exact same reason Celtic supporters would fly the Palestinian flag - to express solidarity and support.

Celtic are not a Palestinian club. Tottenham & Ajax are Jewish clubs.

What do you think would happen to Melbourne Victory if their fans pulled out Jewish flags against Palestinian opposition in an Asian Champions League game? They'd be slammed by the confederation and rightly condemned.

Personally I don't see how that's relevant at all, but is interesting to explore. Can you explain how Tottenham are a Jewish club?

Do they have a massive following in Israel?

Or do a lot of English Jewish people follow Tottenham? If it's the latter I'm actually of the opinion that makes their brandishing worse.

In reality the Jewish link to Tottenham and Ajax is somewhat of a myth, more an outdated tradition, and a lot of actual Jewish people and Israelis dislike the Star of David being displayed at club games.

But either way you're kidding yourself if you think their motivations are any purer.

What do you think would happen to Melbourne Victory if their fans pulled out Jewish flags against Palestinian opposition in an Asian Champions League game? They'd be slammed by the confederation and rightly condemned.

Yeah, maybe? I guess I am of the opinion that if you allow any national flags you have to allow them all?

Again, Jewish =/= Israeli.

What the **** does this have to do with communism?

If giving a s**t about human rights is beyond you then please don't spam your try hard comedy.
Every human has rights, the biggest one being the right to live. The Terrorist organisations that exist amongst the Palestinians attempt to deny citizens of Israel this fundamental right.

The two groups of people however have histories which see them share an empathy and shared history with each other that manifests into open support.

Quite touching and heart warming really.
Yes touching, if you think blowing innocent children and women to bits is touching then I guess so

Every human has rights, the biggest one being the right to live. The Terrorist organisations that exist amongst the Palestinians attempt to deny citizens of Israel this fundamental right.
In no way do I condone some of the actions of Hamas, but they're a terrorist organisation because the US designates that they are. Israel has forcibly taken the land and homes of hundreds of thousands of people and killed many in the process. The US indiscriminately kills people throughout that particular region if it's in their 'national interest' and neither are called terrorist organisations. What makes the lives of these people worth anything less than the people killed by groups like Hamas?

Similar to above, supporting the Palestinian people, most of whom have nothing to do with the terror groups, is not the same as supporting those groups or their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back