Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

1624503112022.png

Is that a sub-category of central?

It can be, as someone said though, these sorts of labels are fast becoming antiquated because it's a bit like basketball now where the qualities of the player dictate what the role is called, not the other way around.

What sort of midfielder would you call Pogba or Kante or De Bruyne for instance? They all have almost unique positions that are not comparable to each other, although all three could in some instances be described as a 'central midfielder'.

I don't class an AM as a CM.

I meant there are CMs like Kante, Modric, Pogba who are all different players despite playing in the same position.

Jinx.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dob off the wing

Debutant
Jun 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Falkirk
but de Bryune Pogba, and Modric are all pretty different players. teams just revolve formations around certain players way, way more these days. deadset, it was only 10 years ago that Arsenal were putting the same regimentation to Cesc Fabregas as they were to Samir Nasri and perma-injured Abou Diaby, Tomas Rosicky. they weren't bad players at all but Fabregas was in the top 10 midfielders in the world and probably hampered by that lack of freedom.

these days he'd have free reign.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
This Germany team isn’t all that, England should fancy their chances.

Gareth Southgate is their biggest obstacle to overcome.
Pretty much this. Can see it being a dour game as Germany struggle against teams who sit back and England dare play forward passes.

I actually think sitting deep against this German team may not be a bad idea. Their attack looked all over the place against Hungary, not much system or fluency. Defence could be in trouble with more space up the field for England.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I get that England and Germany are usually in the final 8 (or 16 World Cup) but have England and Germany played each other much more than an average would be. It seems like it

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I wouldn't call him a central midfielder.

Belgium play with two central mids and two wing backs. De Bruyne usually plays ahead of the other central midfielder such as Witsel or Dendoncker but often they are beside each other not unlike Kante and Pogba.

City tend to play 4-3-3 but with very flexible positions apart from the deep mid like Rodri or Fernandinho. When they are in their own half he'll drop deep but more often than not City play in the opposition half and he'll be quite forward.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
how did england manage to stay at home ?

I just realized that apart from a potential Quarter Final (would be in Rome), England are playing the rest of their matches at Wembley Stadium, up to and including the Final. It’s basically a home tournament for them lol.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I actually think sitting deep against this German team may not be a bad idea. Their attack looked all over the place against Hungary, not much system or fluency. Defence could be in trouble with more space up the field for England.

Germany will have most of the possession but their main tactic to score is to ping it in from the wing backs. Stones and Maguire are good at dealing with that. Havertz is their other main threat so mark him tightly like the French did. Hummels is pretty slow these days so Sterling will be able to get behind him. Grealish should be able to carry the ball into the final third and get free kicks and corners.

That's optimistic me speaking. I expect Southgate to * this up by playing 5 at the back plus 2 defensive mids so we have very little attacking threat. 0-0 and Germany win on penalties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back