UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

England picking such a weird side. Barkley, Rashford, Rose, Henderson and Trippier starting.. crazy. Bulgaria aren't no pushovers and that midfield is just vomit.

This post aged well.

France vs Albania has had a strange start. Teams come out, both national anthems are played and then the Albanian officials complain to the ref and now after 5 minutes the teams line up again for the Albanian national anthem. The wrong version of Albania’s national anthem was played. I can’t say I’ve seen that before.

Edit: The commentator just said the national anthem of Andorra was played. Wow, lol.

Last edited:

Greece 1, Liechtenstein 1. First goal in European qualifiers for 3 years and first point in 4 years for Liechtenstein. I don’t know when the next major title will come for Greece.

Spain 4, Faroe Islands 0. ******* hell, I was so close to losing my multi bet as I bet 4 goals in that game and it was still 2-0 after 89 minutes.

Poms good win yesterday and Portugal looked *en strong. They're a force these days ( more so than usual in Europe )

France belted Albania and looked impressive and didn't leave it to the end like Euro 16 against them.

Italy 100 percent record and a gritty win away to a side that sat second behind them. They go 6 points clear now and well on their way to the Euros. Dubious penalty they reckon.

France vs Albania has had a strange start. Teams come out, both national anthems are played and then the Albanian officials complain to the ref and now after 5 minutes the teams line up again for the Albanian national anthem. The wrong version of Albania’s national anthem was played. I can’t say I’ve seen that before.

Edit: The commentator just said the national anthem of Andorra was played. Wow, lol.
What a disgrace. Andorra have a National anthem.

Andonis1997 how does the Liechtenstein result compare with the Faroe Islands losses in terms of what was a bigger shock? I'd have to say Liechtenstein, they are much worse than the Faroes!
It has all been downhill long before that Faroe Islands result. But definitely the Liechtenstein result cements our worst fears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holland cruising
Croat's held but like many places in Europe tough to get a result on the road.
Unless you're playing Scotland
German's showing strong resolve after a loss.

Increasing the Euro’s to 24 teams has completely killed any perils of qualification. Should have kept it as a 16 team tournament, not only for the sake of the finals itself but the qualifying too.

Increasing the Euro’s to 24 teams has completely killed any perils of qualification. Should have kept it as a 16 team tournament, not only for the sake of the finals itself but the qualifying too.

Actually, I don't agree about the qualifying. While qualifying is currently meaningless for the likes of England, Belgium, Spain etc... the mid tier countries in the groups now have something to play for, while in the past most of them would've been knocked out halfway through qualifying, and end up playing equally meaningless games.

I'm in favour of the 24 teams format, simply because I hated my country missing out on tournaments. And in tournaments, there's always a chance that weaker countries do better than expected.

If the quantity of teams warrants it, then go for it. 24 teams in Europe is fine because there's plenty of quality spread through UEFA. 24 teams in the AFC however is a joke because past the best 16 or so it's quite a drop off. The recent Gold Cup was the first with 16 teams (up from 12) and Curacao made the semi finals, so that's a tick.

Actually, I don't agree about the qualifying. While qualifying is currently meaningless for the likes of England, Belgium, Spain etc... the mid tier countries in the groups now have something to play for, while in the past most of them would've been knocked out halfway through qualifying, and end up playing equally meaningless games.

I'm in favour of the 24 teams format, simply because I hated my country missing out on tournaments. And in tournaments, there's always a chance that weaker countries do better than expected.
Uefa has 55 members, I’ve just looked at the list and I reckon you can write off 20 of those nations as ever being viable to qualify for a major tournament. That leaves 35 nations who have been to a major tournament and would at least have some hope or expectation of qualifying. Therefore you are essentially trimming a grand total of 9 countries out of 35 through 18 months or 10 games of qualifying. Way too few imo. Getting to a tournament should still be seen as an achievement, certainly for mid-ranking uefa teams. That’s all but gone now. 16 teams was ideal, kept qualifying mostly competitive and made for a better final tournament. The group stage thing at the finals whereby 3rd place teams can still qualify for the knockout stage has always been a nonsense

Yeah I agree the overall quality has been watered down but that had already happened when they went from 8 to 16 teams. If we only want quality, we should go back to 8 teams really.

As for the rest, I stand by me being selfish and wanting my country to be in a tournament when we're not that good. And as for teams finishing 3rd in their group - Belgium finished 3rd behind Mexico and Paraguay and went onto the semi final at the WC in 86, and Portugal finished 3rd behind Hungary (who finished 3rd in their qualifying group) and Iceland and then went onto winning the tournament. I'm sure there will have been others growing in a tournament.

D2qJ99-WoAIijnh

I laughed.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

After the goal the commentator goes on to say, “Bernard Challandes who is in charge of this exceptional Kosovan side”. Lol. Anytime England concede a goal their opponent seems to be spoken up as a super talented team.

45 minutes later. England 5, Kosovo 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back