UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol, please don't comment on something like military history, when it seems you are both ill informed about it.

France were the furthest thing from a total joke in the late 1930's, they had arguably the best armed forces in the world in the late 1930's, they were absolutely formidable. They certainly shat all over the British Army at the time of the start of the war and on paper all over the Germany Army as well.

Their undoing was the complete surprise attack through the Ardennes in a giant pincer movement by the German Army using Blitzkrieg which nobody had encountered at the time which completely annihilated them in essentially one whole action. Remembering the British would of gone the way of the French had it not been for an absolute 1-1,000,000 miracle and Hitler's incompetence at Dunkirk, the same pincer movement which destroyed the French had entrapped the entire British army as well.

With any other countries commander in WW2 at the head of German Armed Forces, Britian lose the war right there in 1940. Hitler waited and bowed to Goring's vanity with the Luftwaffe and probably as a result cost them the war. Any other commander keeps charging on, drives Britain into the sea and probably take 200k+ POW's in the process. Churchill only estimated evacuating 40,000 men from Dunkirk.

It took a further 2 years until Stalingrad and over 1 million apposing soldiers in an urban war to halt Blitzkreig.

Britain needed the USA & Canada in support in 1944, essentially 3.5 years later to take the Germans on head to head on land in Western Europe again.

Also remember the French abandoned Paris because they didn't want to see it bombed like the Germans did to Rotterdam when they invaded it.

We should be eternally grateful to the French for maintaining a city so culturally important as Paris, people hang s**t on them for surrendering when they don't actually understand the sacrifice they made. They loved their city too much to see it destroyed, they would rather submit under an invading force like the Germans than see it leveled.

As to the second point:

There's a massive misconception about the mechanized nature of the German Army during WWII, 90% of their logistical movements were done by horses, in complete comparison to the fully mechanized armies of Britain and the USA. Tanks that ran out of fuel were left by the road side, the German military mirrored the WW1 force in terms of their supply chain. This is common knowledge and came as a complete shock to Allied command as the war got deeper and deeper.

They used over 2.5 milion horses in WW2.

So you have it completely back to front I'm afraid.
I’ve never read a more inept and bias short thesis regarding WWII ever

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not yet. They are in a draw for the C4 slot.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure they are eliminated.

Yeah, Greece have been eliminated. Bosnia finished fourth in the group but are in the playoffs as the winners of their UEFA Nationals League group.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I'm sure there's a war thread elsewhere on bigfooty where this WW2 neckbeard discussion can continue.

All the big guns through to the Euros. Then again you have to be real s**t not to get in a tournament of 24 teams (Holland in 2016 for example).

Ireland v Northern Ireland still a possibility.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
Not yet. They are in a draw for the C4 slot.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure they are eliminated.

Yep pretty disappointing to miss out on another major tournament, this is the 3rd in a row. . Poor nations league showing cost us a shot at the play offs.

I've been very impressed with Van't Schip he has the team playing really good attractive football and we've dominated our last 3 wins (even if the scorelines don't reflect it)

Andonis1997 There are good signs for our ethniki moving forward though, hopefully we carry this form into the Nations league next year and then the World cup qualifiers in 2021.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I'm sure there's a war thread elsewhere on bigfooty where this WW2 neckbeard discussion can continue.

All the big guns through to the Euros. Then again you have to be real s**t not to get in a tournament of 24 teams (Holland in 2016 for example).

Ireland v Northern Ireland still a possibility.
Playoffs are in March, flying to Ireland this weekend so I'll be getting a ticket for whatever game hopefully.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Lol, please don't comment on something like military history, when it seems you are both ill informed about it.

France were the furthest thing from a total joke in the late 1930's, they had arguably the best armed forces in the world in the late 1930's, they were absolutely formidable. They certainly shat all over the British Army at the time of the start of the war and on paper all over the Germany Army as well.

Their undoing was the complete surprise attack through the Ardennes in a giant pincer movement by the German Army using Blitzkrieg which nobody had encountered at the time which completely annihilated them in essentially one whole action. Remembering the British would of gone the way of the French had it not been for an absolute 1-1,000,000 miracle and Hitler's incompetence at Dunkirk, the same pincer movement which destroyed the French had entrapped the entire British army as well.

With any other countries commander in WW2 at the head of German Armed Forces, Britian lose the war right there in 1940. Hitler waited and bowed to Goring's vanity with the Luftwaffe and probably as a result cost them the war. Any other commander keeps charging on, drives Britain into the sea and probably take 200k+ POW's in the process. Churchill only estimated evacuating 40,000 men from Dunkirk.

It took a further 2 years until Stalingrad and over 1 million apposing soldiers in an urban war to halt Blitzkreig.

Britain needed the USA & Canada in support in 1944, essentially 3.5 years later to take the Germans on head to head on land in Western Europe again.

Also remember the French abandoned Paris because they didn't want to see it bombed like the Germans did to Rotterdam when they invaded it.

We should be eternally grateful to the French for maintaining a city so culturally important as Paris, people hang s**t on them for surrendering when they don't actually understand the sacrifice they made. They loved their city too much to see it destroyed, they would rather submit under an invading force like the Germans than see it leveled.

As to the second point:

There's a massive misconception about the mechanized nature of the German Army during WWII, 90% of their logistical movements were done by horses, in complete comparison to the fully mechanized armies of Britain and the USA. Tanks that ran out of fuel were left by the road side, the German military mirrored the WW1 force in terms of their supply chain. This is common knowledge and came as a complete shock to Allied command as the war got deeper and deeper.

They used over 2.5 milion horses in WW2.

So you have it completely back to front I'm afraid.
This is an incredibly bizarre interpretation of events.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Frenchies big mistake was their belief in the maginot line, which didn’t even stretch far enough to stop a German advance. Complacency, arrogance, call it what you like but it contributed massively to their downfall. They didn’t expect the Germans to break through the Arden forest either. Strategically the French were inept and along with that well known French arrogance it cost them any chance of at least holding off a German advance. They folded like a pack of cards. Luckily we came back to liberate them five years later, not that the French were ever thankful to us for that

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks an open competition for the finals next year. Probably 5 or 6 contenders but I fancy Belgium, this could be their time. France probably second favourites just slightly ahead of the Netherlands and England. Can’t rule out Germany, Spain or Portugal either.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Yeah, Greece have been eliminated. Bosnia finished fourth in the group but are in the playoffs as the winners of their UEFA Nationals League group.
How did we still have a chance at making the playoffs then? Was that if Serbia wasn't the best-placed 3rd place team?

What the hell.

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.
Italy makes it with a perfect record, and a 9-1 win over Armenia to finish of qualifying. Good stuff.
But as we know the tournament proper is a different thing.

Some WW2 discussion... interesting.
The morale of the French was poor. In 1938 a newly elected left wing government rationalised all defence industries, ripping apart all the old companies and forming large conglomerate groups on a purely geographical basis.
They were totally outdone by the blitzkrieg, had some good tanks. like the Char.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
How did we still have a chance at making the playoffs then? Was that if Serbia wasn't the best-placed 3rd place team?

What the hell.

Greece did finish on 14 points, more than Scotland’s 12 and Scotland are into the play-offs. So we needed to finish 2nd in the group.

Unfortunately, we only have ourselves to blame. Finishing 4 points off 2nd spot and going 6 games without a win in qualification did Greece in. We also weren’t helped by Northern Ireland, who were in Bosnia’s NL group, finishing on 0 points from 4 Nationals League group matches. Ridiculous since they have more than held their own in Euro 2020 qualification with Germany and the Netherlands.

Heck, Bulgaria are in the play-offs and they finished on 6 points. It’s probably unfair that this new Nationals League format is used for Euro 2020 qualification.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Who gives a * about the war. Grow up.

Italy supreme averaging over 3.5 goals a game. 100 percent record, unheard of for them. Reckon they might finish runners up to France like in 2000 after France won the world cup two years prior. Could even win it.

Poms have been great too. Scoring bags of goals, England have been impressive the last few years.

Belgium dynamite.

Spain prolific.

Portugal solid as Croatia. The Euros are going to be great with all the big guns present. Germany will be strong once the tournament begins I reckon and who knows which Holland shows up. Great to see Finland qualify for their first major tournament too.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Because talking about the most important conflict in the history of mankind is immature...

* me I weep for the state of current civilisation sometimes

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
What a mess the qualifying is. Trying to wrap my head around it was a pain. Slovenia, Greece and Albania can consider themselves very hard done by

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
What a mess the qualifying is. Trying to wrap my head around it was a pain. Slovenia, Greece and Albania can consider themselves very hard done by

Kind of weird that Bulgaria came 2nd in their Nations League Group on 11 points and fourth in their Euro 2020 Qualification Group on 6 points and are still in the play-offs.

Belarus are into the play-offs after finishing on 4 points in Euro 2020 qualification (in a group that contained Germany, Netherlands and Northern Ireland) because they happened to win a Nations League group that contained Luxembourg, Moldova and San Marino. WTF?

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of the favourites, France, Belgium and Portugal don't play games at home. Brussels was appointed as a host city, but after the government didn't give permits to build a new stadium in time (it doesn't get more Belgian than that), UEFA stepped in and took the games away.

It's not unthinkable that this will have some effect on the tournament. Belgium already knows they'll be playing Russia and Denmark in the group stage and these games will be in Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen. Those games are considerably harder than when they'd be on neutral ground, and it feels frustrating to know that these should've been played in Belgium.

With the semi finals and final being at Wembley, this should be England's tournament really.

Back