UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Will be in back in the UK for 3 weeks in June and having been to a few Euro’s before I wouldn’t mind snaring some tickets this time around either

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be in back in the UK for 3 weeks in June and having been to a few Euro’s before I wouldn’t mind snaring some tickets this time around either
Do it. Don't waste the opportunity.

Which games have you been to in the past?

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Do it. Don't waste the opportunity.

Which games have you been to in the past?
First Euros I went to was Euro 96 when I was living there. Went to Scotland v England, Italy v Germany in the group stages and then Germany v Croatia in the quarters and the final between Germany and the Czechs. Went to several WC’s so didn’t get back to the Euros until 2012 for a couple of games and then attended 3 games at the last Euros with the highlight being Italy v Spain in the quarters

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
what the fu** happened to you guys. Gone off the radar again.
Corrupt government/league (Greeks amirite) which has kinda been sorted by FIFA, and then the golden generation of 2004 were all mid 20s early 30s so they retired. Our list is all young players nowadays so it'll take a while to gel, but we're playing some very decent attacking football, which I've never seen from Greece - evah. Our U19s and lower are doing well also.

We sacked our coach with 3 games to go and now moved up to 54th in the world under John van t'Schip after we beat both Bosnia and Finland. We're back on track for the WC, I think. Exciting times :)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
First Euros I went to was Euro 96 when I was living there. Went to Scotland v England, Italy v Germany in the group stages and then Germany v Croatia in the quarters and the final between Germany and the Czechs. Went to several WC’s so didn’t get back to the Euros until 2012 for a couple of games and then attended 3 games at the last Euros with the highlight being Italy v Spain in the quarters
That's ******* sensational. First class. Not sure if you've mentioned that before but just the discussion of those games are awesome and bring back great memories. Gascgoine's goal, Zola's penalty miss vs the Germans which meant Italy were eliminated in the group. A solid German outfit withstanding a sturdy Croatian unit winning 2-1 led by Kilnsman and Co. The Euro 2016 match was an Italian masterclass where they should have won 5-0 and played the Spaniards off the park which imo was the best display of the whole event. Italy were missing several stars already going into Euro 2016 and were missing several more with significant injuries against the Spaniards.

You're only lucky fella.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
So are the qualifiers officially done? Google has a bunch of random games in March listed, not sure what that's about.
Sixteen teams compete in the play-off section of Euro 2020 qualifying. They are divided into four groups, with one team from each section advancing to the tournament.

Mar 26Iceland -Romania
Mar 26Bulgaria-Hungary
Mar 31Winner semi-final 1-Winner semi-final 2

Mar 26Bosnia & Herzegovina-Northern Ireland
Mar 26Slovakia-Republic of Ireland

Mar 26Scotland-Israel
Mar 26Norway-Serbia

Mar 26Georgia-Belarus
Mar 26North Macedonia-Kosovo

lol look at the last lot of games. Belarus, Georgia, North Macedonia ( didn't know they changed names ) or Kosovo will be at the Euros.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Just had a look at the 12 host cities group games. Italy, Denmark, England, Netherlands, Spain and Germany are all at home for all 3 group games. IMO, they should have been kept away from their home stadiums (Germany games in Budapest where the other Group F games are hosted rather than all 3 in Munich for example).

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just had a look at the 12 host cities group games. Italy, Denmark, England, Netherlands, Spain and Germany are all at home for all 3 group games. IMO, they should have been kept away from their home stadiums (Germany games in Budapest where the other Group F games are hosted rather than all 3 in Munich for example).

That would be absolutely ridiculous.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Face please meet palm

5BC35ED0-1C53-404D-99A4-7B38AE5F4CC4.jpeg

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Imagine if Russia win it.

The consequences of WADA's ruling dictate that no Russian government representatives may participate in or attend any Olympic or other sports event put on by a major event organisation over the four-year period. As such, Russian president Vladimir Putin will not be able to attend the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, nor the 2022 World Cup -- should the ban affect that tournament.

Additionally, Russia may not host any major event in the four-year period, and where the right to host such an event has already been awarded to Russia, that right must be withdrawn and re-assigned to another country as far as is legally or practically possible.

The 2020 European Championship football tournament, in which Russia's Saint Petersburg Stadium is set to host several games, is not considered a major event by WADA, therefore Russian participation and hosting will not be affected.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm sure there'll be daily threads and a bigger thread when this thing actually gets going, but im buzzing right now just thinking about this. not totally sold on the concept but definitely is more exciting than another joint hosting from the Ukraine.

anyway, is anyone going?

loose plan to go back for the Wembley and Glasgow games. sit in some beer gardens with an Amstel in a replica shirt. eyeing off Bilbao maybe too but the problem with all these varied hosts is that there's always a home team so tickets are a nightmare.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
I'd be far more excited if Greece had managed to qualify but oh well. Still love international tournaments, the Euros and World Cup are always exciting times as a football fan!!

Logical move. Got to fit in postponed club competitions.
Love how the virus is bad enough to stop sporting comps worldwide yet the major push for a EURO postponement is based around finishing club football lol.

Serious enough but not serious enough so it seems

Love how the virus is bad enough to stop sporting comps worldwide yet the major push for a EURO postponement is based around finishing club football lol.

Serious enough but not serious enough so it seems

Not sure what you mean by this. A lot of clubs very existence hang in the balance so finishing their domestic season is hugely vital, whenever it can be played. Essentially starting a new International Tournament just to keep to a schedule makes no sense.

Back