UEFA EURO 2024 (Group Stage) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankfully Greece topped their nations league group, guaranteeing at least a spot in the playoffs. Looks like we will be needing that playoff spot because that is a super tough group and hard to see anyone topping France and the Netherlands.

As hosts, Germany automatically qualify. The winners and runners-up in each group qualify directly for the final tournament. That's 21 teams out of 24.

I'm not clear how the last three places are decided. The UEFA website says the play-offs will feature 12 teams selected based on their performance in the 2022/23 Nations League. How does that part work?

As hosts, Germany automatically qualify. The winners and runners-up in each group qualify directly for the final tournament. That's 21 teams out of 24.

I'm not clear how the last three places are decided. The UEFA website says the play-offs will feature 12 teams selected based on their performance in the 2022/23 Nations League. How does that part work?
Essentially there will be 3 mini-tournaments in March 2024 that will decide the final 3 spots. The 12 teams that participate in the playoffs are the group winners from the Nations League. Any group winners who qualify directly, will be replaced in the playoffs by the next best ranked team from the Nations League.

The structure of the mini-tournament is the same to that of Euro 2020 and World Cup (UEFA) 2022 qualifying. 4 teams form a 'path' or section, a one legged semi is played and the 2 winners of the semis will playoff for a spot at the final tournament.

Hope that clarifies it, this further explains it.

UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying play-offs - Wikipedia

Essentially there will be 3 mini-tournaments in March 2024 that will decide the final 3 spots. The 12 teams that participate in the playoffs are the group winners from the Nations League. Any group winners who qualify directly, will be replaced in the playoffs by the next best ranked team from the Nations League.

The structure of the mini-tournament is the same to that of Euro 2020 and World Cup (UEFA) 2022 qualifying. 4 teams form a 'path' or section, a one legged semi is played and the 2 winners of the semis will playoff for a spot at the final tournament.

Hope that clarifies it, this further explains it.

UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying play-offs - Wikipedia

It states that the winners of each of the 12 groups (league A,B,C) go into the playoffs (unless they have qualified). That means that teams in league C will get access to the playoffs over teams in league A who don't finish top.

But it also says that the 12 teams that will be based on the Nations League overall rankings. Aren't all league A teams ranked higher than league B or C teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's just home.

I thought so too but then they said it was a 40 game unbeaten run in European qualifiers and no way that would be home and away, as you generally play about 10-12 qualifiers per qualification. So I checked and the last time Italy lost in a qualification campaign was for Euro 2008, specification against France 3-1 in September 2006. A hell of a run.

I thought so too but then they said it was a 40 game unbeaten run in European qualifiers and no way that would be home and away, as you generally play about 10-12 qualifiers per qualification. So I checked and the last time Italy lost in a qualification campaign was for Euro 2008, specification against France 3-1 in September 2006. A hell of a run.

Fair enough, all the commentary on it was that it was just a home record.

Euro qualifiers happen for 1 year every 4 years, so not that surprising. Sure if you counted WC qualifying they'd have lost one cause they didn't qualify for Qatar.

Euro qualifiers happen for 1 year every 4 years, so not that surprising. Sure if you counted WC qualifying they'd have lost one cause they didn't qualify for Qatar.

Thanks for your added commentary on it but we got to the bottom of it already. 😂

We? Just yourself in here
james mcavoy split GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back