UEFA Europa Conference League 2021/22 (Winners: AS Roma)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder when the game gets rescheduled to. Immediate future is out of the question with Spurs playing league cup against West Ham just before Christmas and an obviously busy league schedule.

If Spurs qualify they will have to go into the extra round against 3rd placed Europa League teams - matches played on 17th/24th Feb.

Ligue 1 have a mid seasom break from the 22 December to the weekend of 8 Jan. With Spurs playing on Sat 1st against Watford in PL and then playing Morecambe on Sat 8th of January in the FA Cup. Game will be played mid week then if Spurs lose the League Cup quarter final to West Ham.

If Spurs beat West Ham and are playing in the semi finals of the LC then I have nfi when they can fit the conference league catch up game. Mid week during Jan / Feb will be out as they already have 2 catch up games (Brighton & Burnley) to play and possibly a 3rd vs Leicester to play.

I guess one option could be Spurs play a catch up match on the FA Cup 3rd round weekend and the game against Morecambe is postponed.

Vitesse are rightly annoyed too as GD could decide who qualifies so being made to play theirs earlier disadvantages them. As it turns out a 1 goal win will secure 2nd.

True but it was always likely Vitesse would beat NK Mura at home so it was always going to come down to GD and then if that was even H2H.

Rennes may end up sending a heavily compromised team though which is more of a concern for Vitesse now that the final game is totally irrelevant to them but not Spurs.

On this one I agree with jd2010 . It may be a cup we can win but with Covid running through the squad we are likely to be 3 PL games down on everyone that need to be made up. Add in another 9 that would be required for us to win the Conference League. The squad players have shown they aren't good enough to win games in the Conference League so it will be the starters required to win it. I am happy for us to give that us and focus on the domestic cups and the League instead
We will either highly rotate the postponed game and lose which is what a forfeit new does. Or we will overwork important players and have a horrid injury run from January ruining the league form, the FA Cup and this money grab cup down the line with 9 more games to play. Fair enough give it a go when all things were equal at the start of the year. But this and the 3 catch up games puts us behind west Ham big time for 4th.

And what's the prize for winning this comp? Qualify for the European comp we are trying to avoid by finish top 4.

This cup didn't have exist 6 months ago. Means less than the Audi cup. With 3 league games behind everyone to make up. This fake money grab comp can get in the bin
Then never EVER AGAIN mention trophies won under ENIC.

Then never EVER AGAIN mention trophies won under ENIC.
This is a money grab third tier competition. I hate everything it stands for as much if not more than the super league. The notion that it helps smaller nations clubs have something real to compete for is valid, opening up the competition for the 7th or 8th best sides in the top European nations is not. No sides from England, Spain or Italy should compete in this competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a money grab third tier competition. I hate everything it stands for as much if not more than the super league. The notion that it helps smaller nations clubs have something real to compete for is valid, opening up the competition for the 7th or 8th best sides in the top European nations is not. No sides from England, Spain or Italy should compete in this competition
Broadly I agree that probably no club from Europe's top 5 leagues should be included, but without them it probably has no one watching and UEFA wouldn't bother.

But we are in it so should be trying to win it.

Lol at the comments from Spurs supporters rejoicing that they could be dumped out of the competition and it’s a good thing because “it’s a farce” of a competition. That wasn’t the intention when Spurs did all they could to get the match postponed to be played at a later date. 😂

Broadly I agree that probably no club from Europe's top 5 leagues should be included, but without them it probably has no one watching and UEFA wouldn't bother.

But we are in it so should be trying to win it.
I wouldnt exclude France or Germany because their 4th-6th best sides financially aren't strong and deserve a competition to play in. But an 8th placed English side is not what this competition is designed for and we are in it to boost the numbers who tune in to the group stages. Knock outs will always deliver ratings. If this was a pure old alcohol uefa cup format then perhaps I'd have a different view of it. But I hate everything about it and can't pretend I'm not relieved we aren't playing in a bullshit round against the 3rd placed side from a 4 team europa league group.

Uefa and rennes have rightly held their nerve and forced the game to be not played resulting in at best a draw and our elimination, at worst a forfeit and fine and our elimination.

The other advantage of this game not being rescheduled is it becomes very easy to fit in the Burnley and Brighton games. They just now slot in when we were going to play the 3rd place europa drop-outs.

The Leicester and potentially Liverpool games will be very tough to reschedule

UEFA really need a plan in place for what happens if an English team can't play a MD6 fixture due to a covid outbreak. Firstly you need a break of between 7-10 days from positive sample date depending on vaccination status. So realistically a minimum of 10 days before fixture can be played. Impossible time for English teams to play a catch up games then with so many fixtures. Although having said that the game probably would have been played on the League Cup 1/4 final date had Spurs not qualified for it (Wed 22nd Dec).

The other advantage of this game not being rescheduled is it becomes very easy to fit in the Burnley and Brighton games. They just now slot in when we were going to play the 3rd place europa drop-outs.

The Leicester and potentially Liverpool games will be very tough to reschedule
We’ll get booted, not our fault but whatever.

But I hate this line of thinking. Using other circumstances to justify leaving. If UEFA let us in great. I want us in 4 comps as long as possible. * the postponements, who cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back