UEFA Europa League 2018/19

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are you melting because the gunners are looking like they might win it?
Chelsea will win it. Not saying you’d take some satisfaction from winning it, but it doesn’t disguise the fact it’s a poor excuse for a competition. I’d be more in favour of expanding the CL further and doing away with it in all honesty

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Arsenal will have trouble getting past Valencia for starters, in order to even make it to the final against Chelsea.

The Europa league still represents a back-door pass into the nest seasons Champions League, for a side that is the best of the rest....I'd much prefer that scenario than the spot to go to some side from Bulgaria or Slovenia etc, who merely represent road-kill for all the other teams.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Obviously delighted with our progression and the professional manner of our performances this tie, but I must say Napoli was rather disappointing given what I saw from them vs Liverpool and PSG in the CL group stages.

I think it’s pretty much defunct. The old UEFA cup which it replaced used to be the competition that had the clubs finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th in their leagues, and in many ways was as difficult to win as the old European cup. What’s the point of a competition that doesn’t have any of the European powers and consists of teams that finished sometimes as low as 8th or 9th in their league?

I’m not just saying this to rain on any parade, but it’s kind of a joke competition. If we are in it next season I’d say the same thing

Confused. You started by saying it shouldn't have teams like Chelsea and Arsenal, now you're saying what's the point unless it has teams like Chelsea and Arsenal?

Arsenal will have trouble getting past Valencia for starters, in order to even make it to the final against Chelsea.

The Europa league still represents a back-door pass into the nest seasons Champions League, for a side that is the best of the rest....I'd much prefer that scenario than the spot to go to some side from Bulgaria or Slovenia etc, who merely represent road-kill for all the other teams.
Arsenal will breeze past Valencia. Frankfurt are a good, exciting team who will cause us problems. Should be a cracking the.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Confused. You started by saying it shouldn't have teams like Chelsea and Arsenal, now you're saying what's the point unless it has teams like Chelsea and Arsenal?
I can understand the merit of the competition for teams that haven’t a chance to qualify let alone win the CL. That doesn’t apply to big clubs like arsenal or Chelsea.

I just don’t know whether we need a second European competition anymore. Wouldn’t it be better to extend the CL further to allow more clubs access to it? What does winning the EL mean to a club like Chelsea who are used to competing at the top end of the CL?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a third tier European competition coming in I think in 2021 season. I guess the idea is to make the Europa League more competitive. UEL 2 apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/02/uefa-new-european-club-competition-2021
Maybe that will improve it I’m not sure though.

You could double the size of the CL and only have to increase the amount of matches by two games in its current format. Instead of having eight groups of four you’d have 16, therefore you’d have an additional last 32 knockout round - as the EL has currently.

I can understand the merit of the competition for teams that haven’t a chance to qualify let alone win the CL. That doesn’t apply to big clubs like arsenal or Chelsea.

I just don’t know whether we need a second European competition anymore. Wouldn’t it be better to extend the CL further to allow more clubs access to it? What does winning the EL mean to a club like Chelsea who are used to competing at the top end of the CL?

Surely just remove the CL teams dropping to the EL?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely just remove the CL teams dropping to the EL?
I’m definitely not a fan of that, but in fairness it improves the last 32 stage - yes I know that’s contradictory of what I’m saying!

I just think do away with the comp - or leave it to the minor leagues (although I doubt the comp would be able to survive).

Still think doubling the size of the CL makes most sense. Whether logistically you could do it with all the extra matches to play I’m not sure about though. I suppose you could spread the group games out over three days instead of the two they do currently

Back