UEFA Nations League 2020–21 (France Champions)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It wasn't a pen and you can't begrudge them losing after going down a man. The positives are the game before beating a star studded Belgium team after going a goal down. A side who they lost twice to at the world cup.

England are in great shape. Same can't be said for Croatia who have lost too many games of late to the big nations. Portugal firing on all cylinders too.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
An absolute calamity by England this morning. Harry Maguire does two idiotic fouls to get sent off after 30 minutes. Southgate reverts to a back 4 but takes his left back off then spends the rest of the game switching Walker and James to left back, who are both right footed. Rashford was awful. Southgate waits until 72 minutes before subbing him off but puts Calvert Lewin, a centre forward, at left wing. Phillips passes backwards 90% of the time including breaking up a few promising England moves.

Grealish was man of the match against Wales, gets zero minutes against Belgium and Denmark. Southgate has NFI what he is doing!

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It wasn't a pen and you can't begrudge them losing after going down a man. The positives are the game before beating a star studded Belgium team after going a goal down. A side who they lost twice to at the world cup.

The British media have been repeating this to death, but really, this Belgium wasn't as good as the 2018 side (which had Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen, Fellaini, Hazard and Mertens playing) and they outplayed England for most of the 1st half. England was definitely better the 2nd half though, but the Belgian camp had this feeling of how on earth did we lose this game?

I think Belgium were more confident playing their system than England was. Play this game 10 times, and Belgium win more. Player for player, I don't think this Belgium is better than England, and especially when first choice players are missing.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’ve noticed a few more England fans are starting to turn on Southgate a bit now. This is a very talented generation that is in danger of being wasted.

Southgate is still dining out on wins against Colombia (on pens) and Sweden, but I think the worm is starting to turn.

Goalkeeper and centre back is an issue, but apart from that they have quality all over the park. Even centre mid isn’t too bad, especially if they can get Grealish playing as an advanced 8 or a 10.

Back