UEFA Nations League 2020–21 (France Champions)

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
The Nations league can be tough, especially if you're in League A and you have to play against other quality teams.

When the World Cup qualifiers proper come around next year there will be minnows in the group that England will beat up on and everyone will forget how they struggle against the better teams. That will only be exposed at the Euros/World Cup.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The British media have been repeating this to death, but really, this Belgium wasn't as good as the 2018 side (which had Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen, Fellaini, Hazard and Mertens playing) and they outplayed England for most of the 1st half. England was definitely better the 2nd half though, but the Belgian camp had this feeling of how on earth did we lose this game?

I think Belgium were more confident playing their system than England was. Play this game 10 times, and Belgium win more. Player for player, I don't think this Belgium is better than England, and especially when first choice players are missing.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

What did you think of Phillip's game?

As I've said he passed it backwards 95% of the time in the recent games for England, including breaking up some promising moves. On the rare occasion he passed forwards he was effective. I wonder if he is under instruction to retain the ball at all costs?

I might keep an eye on him in the Wolves game to see how he plays for Leeds.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What did you think of Phillip's game?

As I've said he passed it backwards 95% of the time in the recent games for England, including breaking up some promising moves. On the rare occasion he passed forwards he was effective. I wonder if he is under instruction to retain the ball at all costs?

I might keep an eye on him in the Wolves game to see how he plays for Leeds.

He’s completely wasted in a double pivot.

He plays nothing like that for Leeds.

You are right though, he very very rarely carries the ball anymore, that’s his instruction at Leeds, it’s usually long direct passing.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
A few juicy games this weekend.

League A

Group 1
15 November 2020 Netherlands v Bosnia and Herzegovina
15 November 2020 Italy v Poland
18 November 2020 Bosnia and Herzegovina v Italy
18 November 2020 Poland v Netherlands

Group 2
15 November 2020 Belgium v England
15 November 2020 Denmark v Iceland
18 November 2020 Belgium v Denmark
18 November 2020 England v Iceland

Group 3
14 November 2020 Portugal v France
14 November 2020 Sweden v Croatia
17 November 2020 Croatia v Portugal
17 November 2020 France v Sweden

Group 4
14 November 2020 Germany v Ukraine
14 November 2020 Switzerland v Spain
17 November 2020 Spain v Germany
17 November 2020 Switzerland v Ukraine

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Portugal 7-0 Andorra
Italy 4-0 Estonia
Holland1-1 Spain
Germany 1-0 Czech
France 0-2 Finland
Turkey 3-3 Croatia
Denmark 2-0 Sweden
Romania 5-3 Belarus ( led 5-0 )
Belgium 2-1 Switzerland
Poland 2-0 Ukraine

Portugal impressive atm drew in France last Nations League game and were the better team. Games coming up against Croatia and France. Star studded squad and look in great stead for the next 5-10 years.

Germany meeting Spain and Belgium-England just a couple more cracking encounters of many.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Scotland, Northern Macedonia, Slovakia, Hungary all qualify for the Euros.

Serbia lol. Useless. Mitrovic missed the 5th penalty which saw them crash out.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
England thrash Ireland 3-0 in a friendly. Poms play good football these days.

Belgium game coming up will give us a good indication of their form+ character after losing at home to Denmark, albeit after going down to 10 men. Need to show something after their some what '' lucky '' win against them the match before the Danes.

Another loss will have the press swarming again. Need at least a point.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Spanish get a draw with an 89th minute equaliser at Switzerland.

France flex their muscles and make a huge statement against an in-form Portuguese side with a massive scalp on the road.

Germany 3-1 Ukraine after going down a goal. Werner netted a brace.

Sweden 2-1 Croatia. * the Croat's still lagging big time.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Germany will be a force again very soon with their youthful squad and several of them playing together at Bayern. That type of cohesion is the recipe for success with Italy and Spain just two in recent times winning tournaments.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Germany will be a force again very soon with their youthful squad and several of them playing together at Bayern. That type of cohesion is the recipe for success with Italy and Spain just two in recent times winning tournaments.

Germany are good going forward but vulnerable at the back. Sane's pace is electric, Werner's finishing is clinical. The Leeds player Koch came in and played some nice through balls.

Ukraine had to change quite a few players at the last minute due to positive Covid tests but they still took the lead and hit the post three times.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
France flex their muscles and make a huge statement against an in-form Portuguese side with a massive scalp on the road.

France were the better team. Portugal had a few good chances but mostly relied on set pieces. Portugal won't be in the finals and can't retain their title.

France were the better team. Portugal had a few good chances but mostly relied on set pieces. Portugal won't be in the finals and can't retain their title.
Funny you say that given that this Portugal squad is far stronger than the one that won the Euros.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Funny you say that given that this Portugal squad is far stronger than the one that won the Euros.

They still rely a lot on Ronaldo. He is good in general play but his free kicks usually end up in row Z or into the wall.

They were fortunate in Euro 2016. They finished 3rd in the group stage behind Hungary and Iceland then got past Poland on penalties.

They have qualified for Euro 2020 (2021) so can retain their title.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Should be incredibly disappointed in his effort on the second one especially

I guess I should have looked up his record from the spot before I called him greedy for taking the 2nd penalty. Before yesterday he had scored 25 straight penalties for club and country.

Back