one eyedtiger

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
The Nations league can be tough, especially if you're in League A and you have to play against other quality teams.

When the World Cup qualifiers proper come around next year there will be minnows in the group that England will beat up on and everyone will forget how they struggle against the better teams. That will only be exposed at the Euros/World Cup.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The British media have been repeating this to death, but really, this Belgium wasn't as good as the 2018 side (which had Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen, Fellaini, Hazard and Mertens playing) and they outplayed England for most of the 1st half. England was definitely better the 2nd half though, but the Belgian camp had this feeling of how on earth did we lose this game?

I think Belgium were more confident playing their system than England was. Play this game 10 times, and Belgium win more. Player for player, I don't think this Belgium is better than England, and especially when first choice players are missing.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What did you think of Phillip's game?

As I've said he passed it backwards 95% of the time in the recent games for England, including breaking up some promising moves. On the rare occasion he passed forwards he was effective. I wonder if he is under instruction to retain the ball at all costs?

I might keep an eye on him in the Wolves game to see how he plays for Leeds.

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What did you think of Phillip's game?

As I've said he passed it backwards 95% of the time in the recent games for England, including breaking up some promising moves. On the rare occasion he passed forwards he was effective. I wonder if he is under instruction to retain the ball at all costs?

I might keep an eye on him in the Wolves game to see how he plays for Leeds.
He’s completely wasted in a double pivot.

He plays nothing like that for Leeds.

You are right though, he very very rarely carries the ball anymore, that’s his instruction at Leeds, it’s usually long direct passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom