UEFA Nations League 2020–21 (France Champions)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
England dominated against Belgium, just couldn't put the ball in the net. Rice and Grealish the best for England. Belgium defended well. Their 2nd goal should have been a free kick to England not for Belgium.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Even at 2-0 I was thinking this is the best I've seen Spain play for a while. The passing and movement was superb. Then their confidence went to another level and they made Germany look like an absolute rabble. Morata, Fabian and Torres were brilliant.

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
England dominated against Belgium, just couldn't put the ball in the net. Rice and Grealish the best for England. Belgium defended well. Their 2nd goal should have been a free kick to England not for Belgium.

I think England dominated the midfield (Belgium let them after having gone ahead after 10 minutes), but apart from Kane's header being cleared off the line by Lukaku, I don't remember Courtois needing to make any difficult saves. In Belgium, everybody is talking about a mature performance by the team. Not sure what the word would've been had Kane's header gone in.

I thought in 2018, Belgium were clearly better. At the moment, both teams seem to be in balance - I thought Belgium were unlucky to lose at Wembley a few weeks ago, and fortunate this week with the free kick. By the next world cup, I expect England to be the better team. Not sure it will be with Southgate though.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I think England dominated the midfield (Belgium let them after having gone ahead after 10 minutes), but apart from Kane's header being cleared off the line by Lukaku, I don't remember Courtois needing to make any difficult saves. In Belgium, everybody is talking about a mature performance by the team. Not sure what the word would've been had Kane's header gone in.

I thought in 2018, Belgium were clearly better. At the moment, both teams seem to be in balance - I thought Belgium were unlucky to lose at Wembley a few weeks ago, and fortunate this week with the free kick. By the next world cup, I expect England to be the better team. Not sure it will be with Southgate though.

Belgium's form seems a bit patchy. They were good in the 1st half at Wembley then poor in the 2nd. This last game, after scoring twice they defended really well. England's attacking moves mostly got broken up on the edge of the area rather than giving Courtois a work out.

The two teams are fairly evenly matched right now. De Bruyne makes it look so easy. Eden Hazard would be a big inclusion for Belgium. Who else might come in?

Grealish was very good but looked to be trying a little too hard. Rashford or Sterling would be an improvement over Mount. I don't understand the call up for 17 yo Bellingham when players like Maddison, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi have more experience and are in good form.

Southgate is a muppet selection and tactically wise but he says all the right things so the FA loves him.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Germany will be a force again very soon with their youthful squad and several of them playing together at Bayern. That type of cohesion is the recipe for success with Italy and Spain just two in recent times winning tournaments.

This couldn’t have gone any better for you this morning. :p

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Loved me a bit of Grealish to Foden to Grealish to Foden this morning. Like a couple of best mates in the schoolyard. Grealish got his usual 20 free kicks. Phil chipped in with a nice couple of goals. Check out his skills on about 89 minutes. The ball is coming down near the line from about 30 m high with a defender closing in. His first touch is to do a Cruyff turn sending it 10 m down the line so he could run on to it. Unbelievable tekkers!

Unfortunately we have a complete dud of a manager. Southgate has finally realised how good Grealish is, about a year after the rest of the world. This morning we were 2-0 up totally dominating against 10 men. What does he do? Bring on Harry Winks as a 2nd holding mid!!! Also Harry Maguire was having a blinder pushing forward down the left. Southgate makes a change that puts Maguire on the right - totally nullifying that threat.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Brilliant line up for the final 4.

France
Belgium
Spain
Italy

Portuguese very stiff missing out. Absolute quality at it's finest. Italian's have re-emerged under Mancini and have a very deep squad. Euro's are going to be fantastic next year.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
That's it now until the finals in October next year. The draw will take place on 3 December 2020. All games at the San Siro.

I think the concept of the Nations League is working. Countries are playing competitive games rather than friendlies. I wonder if the format could be changed so that each league has 2 groups of 8 rather than 4 groups of 4. It was good to see France v Portugal twice, Spain v Germany twice, England v Belgium twice. But it would have been good to also see France v Spain, England v Germany, Belgium v Portugal etc.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
Greece 0-0 Slovenia at home, which means we miss out on promotion by 1 point and the Slovenes go up :(

Disappointing result, we had enough chances to win. A positive to come out of this for us is that we remain Pot 3 for the WC qualifying draw in a few weeks.

Van't Schip has us playing some good sustainable football, it's the first time in a long time we've looked like a functioning football team. I'm optimistic about the future.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Disappointing result, we had enough chances to win. A positive to come out of this for us is that we remain Pot 3 for the WC qualifying draw in a few weeks.

Van't Schip has us playing some good sustainable football, it's the first time in a long time we've looked like a functioning football team. I'm optimistic about the future.
He definitely has transformed this team, very good to watch! Get another year of experience for the young ones and who knows where it can take us 🤞

Back