FRAWLEY%20James.png

• Number: 8
  • Height: 193
  • Weight: 94
  • DOB: 20-09-1988
  • Debut: Rd 9 - 2007
Club Profile

Demonwiki

Frawley needs to improve his game dramatically if he wants to stay on the list. Hasn't even shown a glimpse of something special. Clanger King

I see the potential in him. Destroyed Mitch Morton on Sunday, which IMO was a phenomenal job considering the amount of ball coming in.

All you Frawley-baggers will very quickly eat your words.

I think he's doing alright. He's been on the list for 2 years, so i'd say he must have been given another 2 year contract (or will be) so he'll be around for a while yet.

Look at who he's competing with for a spot, Rivers earlier in the year, the emerging star and rising star nominee Garland and 2 old bigger, more mature bodied guys in Martin & Warnock. Our tall defenders have been just about the only position as a whole that can hold there head high at the job they've done this year, so despite the inexperience for him to get some games down there is a pretty good effort.

People expect a lot from him not only because he was a high draft pick, but also because he carries a famous footballing name. I like the fact that he takes them on, yes he gets caught a bit but he'll learn form that. If i imagine our defence in 3-4 years time, he's a central part of it.

i agree he's more of a shut down defender done some good jobs last couple of weeks keeping mckinley from west coast to 2 lucky goals after a 8 goal haul against essendon and also shutting morton down. great courage backing back into packs.

Played 11 games this season to give him a total of 20 in two seasons. No need to throw up statistics such as marks and disposals, because he is a negating backman. If you told us during the pre season that he would be our 5th choice tall defender this season, you would've been laughed at, but with the emergence of Garland, Warnock and Martin, someone had to take a back seat and it was Frawley. Still young and raw, he will take a bit of time to develop so there is no rush.

I think he will be a good player but was it worth using such a high draft pick in a strong draft? Time will tell.

All I know is that at this stage I'd much prefer Jack Riewoldt (pick 13) but again, gotta wait a year or 2 before feeding "Chip" to the wolves.

Thanks to cannons:

James Frawley

Current Ability: C-
Frawley managed 11 matches this year, which was a solid return for the young defender. He averaged around 10 possessions a game from the backline, and showed some dash coming out of defence.

Strengths:
- Generates run from defence
- Good size
- Reasonable closing speed
- Good defensive skills

Weaknesses:
- Can look a bit lost at AFL level
- Decision making
- Awkward kicking technique

Potential Ability: B+
I may be rating his potential quite highly, but I see some good signs from Frawley. He will take a while to fully develop, but he has a pretty solid foundation to build from. The preseason will be beneficial for him, as he can put on some more bulk to assist him with defending against the bigger types.

Whilst it is great to see him charge out of defence, he does suffer from decision making difficulties at times. This is partly due to the fact he is inexperienced at AFL level, and with time he will improve his composure. This is an area for him to focus on; he just needs to assess the situation better at certain points.

In terms of kicking, his kicks are normally quite effective, however his technique is awkward. This could create some problems when he’s under pressure, which is likely to occur given the way he attacks the game. I think it would be speculative to predict whether or not he can fix this, but if his decision making improves this issue will be minimised in any case.

Trade Value: Late 2nd rounder, but won’t be on the table.

Overall, he has a nice platform to build from for 2009. Whilst I wouldn’t expect him to play a pivotal role in Melbourne’s defence next year, he should continue to develop and improve upon this year’s output. I see a bit of Scarlett in the way he approaches the game, so it would be nice to think he could get near that level at some point in the future.

Will be very good negating backman just needs time to adjust to AFL level. How many KP backman are much better after 2 seasons???? not many at all. Remember Scarlett was a dud until he was about 22 and look at him now.
Sometimes I think people expect way to much off these kids in their first couple of seasons.

Frawls has been really impressing me this year, very quick and solid. He is only 20 !

i havent seen him be outmuscled this year. He's good in the air and he's quick.
A good match-up for most small forwards and some talls. will be watching with great interest

I think hes come along in leaps and bounds this year.

In contrast from last year he looks composed and assured with the ball, and his one on one work is great.

That footage of him pretty much throwing Nathan Brown out of the contest on the weekend is classic.

Round: 5
Basic Stats: 18 disp, 10 kicks, 8 h/balls, 4 marks, 1 behind
Important Stats: 78% effective disposal, 2 clangers, 2 spoils, 3 rbnd 50's

My Thoughts: Did his job. Saw him playing on the Porpoise for a chunk of the game in which Chip kept him pretty quiet (Porplyzia: 8 disp, 1 goal.) It was a scrappy game with the ball spending a great deal of time in our back half, and looking at his numbers and from what i saw of him on the day, i'd say he played really well.

Rating: 7/10

Does he keep his spot?: :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a 7/10?

Harsh, not sure what more he could have done.
Converted his shot on goal. ;)

7/10 is by no means an average score. Yes his man was quiet and he picked up alot of disposals, but he only had 2 spoils (compared to Rivers 13.)

Bottom line is it was a scrappy, low scoring game of football that suited defenders. In those conditions you'd expect him to play well.

If he does the same against the Cats this week, i'll give him an 11.

Round: 6
Stats: 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks
Important Stats: 74% effective disp, 3 clangers, 8 rbound 50's, 1 tackle

My Thoughts: Very good game. Played on Steve Johnson for most of it, but also had a spell on Chapman from what i saw. S.J kicked 3 of his four in the 3rd qtr when Chip wasnt on him, and then was quiet (by his standards) for the rest of the game. I'd say Frawley won that battle, and was also damaging the other way with his 19 touches and 8 rbound 50's. Looking at his numbers though, I wouldnt mind seeing some more tackling pressure, seeing as he only had 1 for the game. Other than that :thumbsu:. He's going to be great for us.

Rating: Looks like he gets an 11/10 as promised. Seriously though, compared to last week, he had a superior game, in superior conditions, against a superior team, and he still managed to continue his impressive form. 9/10

Season 2010 - dcrock signing on for Frawley-watch...

Round 2 vs Collingwood
- 1 point loss

Rating
: 8/10
Kicks: 7
Handballs: 8
Marks: 1
Tackles: 6
Free Kicks: 2FA
Efficiency: 80%
Clangers: 4
Opponent: Paul Medhurst

DT Score: 58
SC Score: 66

Pros: Kept Medhurst really quiet for most of the day (9 touches and 1 goal).
Disposal was much better than last week, he hit a number of good targets on the rebound 50 - but then again, the whole team was 1000% better.
It was great to see the run and handball game click - Chip was involved in multiple good passages out of defence, along with Grimes, Joel and others.

Cons: Had a massive brain-fade with about 2 mins left, pushing Leon in the back and giving up a potential goal chance.
Not sure why he didn't get a crack at Cloke or Anthony... Warnock looked too slow for Anthony at times and Cloke was too big for Joel Mac.

Does he keep his spot? Yes. He'd have to stuff up majorly to get dropped...

Frawley was solid. He played on Medhurst because Bailey rates him as a more dangerous forward than Cloke. MacDonald was undersized but did a very good job on Cloke who only looked dangerous for about 5 minutes of the game.

Warnock played on Anthony because Matt's our full back and Jack's their full forward. Pretty simple really and I thought he did a decent job.

Frawley was solid. He played on Medhurst because Bailey rates him as a more dangerous forward than Cloke. MacDonald was undersized but did a very good job on Cloke who only looked dangerous for about 5 minutes of the game.

Warnock played on Anthony because Matt's our full back and Jack's their full forward. Pretty simple really and I thought he did a decent job.

Medhurst will play closer to home than cloke, who likes to get up on the wings. Medhurst would also be collingwoods quickest fwd on the lead, Frawley is our quickest backmen so the match up makes sense. I really liked Frawley offensive run and creativity.

Round 3 vs Adelaide - 16 point win!

James "Mr Versatility" Frawley

Rating: 9/10
Kicks: 14
Handballs: 11
Marks: 8
Tackles: 0
Free Kicks: 0
Efficiency: 95%
Clangers: 1
Opponent: Walker (?) at first, Burton later on

DT Score: 88
SC Score: 100

Pros: I think he played on Walker early, did well there, and then shut down a dangerous Birdman in the second half (along with Garland).
Had a PB 25 possessions at a high efficiency. His run and clearance out of the backline was, along with some kid called Grimes, superb. None of the kicking blunders from Round 1 to be seen.
Took most of the kick-ins and did well.
Seemed to take charge of the backline in Rivers' absence... as a veteran of 40 games.

Cons: 0 tackles? Would expect more from our most built player.

Does he keep his spot? Um yes. Silly question at this stage.

Round 4 vs Richmond - 55 point win

Rating: 5.5/10
Kicks: 9
Handballs: 4
Marks: 6
Tackles: 1
Free Kicks: 2 against
Efficiency: 85%
Clangers: 3
Opponent: Reiwoldt (3 goals)

DT Score: 51
SC Score: 26 !!!

Pros: When he got the ball, disposal was generally alright - don't remember any Bruce-esque out-of-bounds kicks.

Cons: Didn't get enough of the ball.
Generally got a bath from Reiwoldt, who had a pretty good game (did get some soft free kicks though). They seemed fairly well matched and he won some contests, but didn't break even I'd guess.
Well down on last week's top-line game, but not horrible.

Does he keep his spot? Yes, and probably gets first crack at J Brown on Saturday - presuming Fev plays in the goalsquare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back