UFC 110: Nogueira vs. Velasquez

Remove this Banner Ad

Arecsa

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Just got back from Sydney - that was awesome. I want to watch the broadcast to see how it came across on there, the atmosphere at the arena was fantastic. Shattered Big Nog got put out like that by Cain, happy with the rest of the results though. George's fight was incredible, we were all going crazy for him. Bisping copped plenty of boos, he also got that at the weigh ins. The end of his fight was insane, the noise was so loud we couldn't hear the horn and weren't sure if he got stopped or if we were going to a decision.

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
didnt see the te huna fight heard he won, good on him, his arm was in a sling, looks like his shoulder is still worrying him.

was a super fight! te huna broke his arm and still finished the fight.... what a sicko!!! super fight to set up the rest of the card.

was sitting over the walkout of the majority of the fighters entrance.... joe daddy was so relaxed in the tunnel. chattin to the fans giving hi fives and shout outs before they shot the camera on him.... seems like a fair humble dude. pity he wasnt more focused 4 the fight tho.

anyone else think the doctor that stopped bonnar was a *******?? i hate bonnar and was suprised at how much support he had but i wanted the fight to continue, it was a ripper! i swear the doc shat himself when he seen the blood and didnt even check the cut and just waved it off. looked like he had someone in his ear when he walked off.... hopefully saying he ruined what was a sick blue!!

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels

At least in that article he correctly acknowledges that MMA's are 'highly skilled athletes' and that there is a market for this kind of thing. Andy Maher on SEN this morning was whinging about it being barbaric and he hadn't even watched it.

I think that the UFC is a much more enjoyable event now than in the 'really wild days' and I'm not surprised that tightening the leash on the rules has led to it finding a bigger audience. Personally, I agreed with the stopping of the Bonnar vs Soszynski fight, as good as it was, there was too much of a danger had he taken a few more hits to the head, REALLY opened the gash (which, no matter how large it was, was already spilling a lot of blood) and bled out more. Nobody likes to see a fight stopped but I'm glad they err on the side of caution.

The fact that its become less about how hurt somebody can get (like the old UFC) and more about showcasing the incredible skills of these athletes, is what I really enjoyed about being in Sydney yesterday. The fights were fantastic and I can't wait for the next event we get.

Oct 3, 2005
On the Mat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
http://dominance.com.au
Wrestling has been the most successful "base" of the past few years, but it's not like you have to be an all-american college wrestler to succeed. Most of the fighters learn enough of one martial art to at least be able to defend it well. Some great fighters, like Chuck and Cro-cop made a career on an A+ sprawl to keep the fight standing in order to use their strongest point, being their stand-up. Not too mention a fighter like GSP, who is considered almost the best wrestler in MMA, wasn't a wrestler until he trained MMA. The person who adepts and evolves the quickest in mixing arts into the "mma blender" so to speak, is usually on top.

Yeah, I agree.

I'd also say, people spout wrestling is the best "base" for MMA as if its truth, but in reality wrestling itself currently has many advantages to make it seem a bit more dominant than it really is; that is the rules and scoring used in US MMA.

This needs to be taken into account. Wrestling was never the best “base” in an organisation like Pride. Guys like CroCop with magnificent sprawls would counter wrestlers and drop thunderous knees to the dome. Take Perosh yesterday, he would have been finished in the first minute when Mirko spawled. But unfortunately they are forced to either step away or punch which opens up for good wrestlers to take them down again. Which happens.

The lack of knees/soccers/stomps really impacts people who might not be great wrestlers, but have good basic wrestling defense, just as people might have good submission defense, its much easier to learn. So people need to understand this in context of modern “watered down” MMA rules used by the UFC.

So yes, wrestling is awesome in the UFC, especially for winning decisions as the fighter is ‘on top’ (and the scoring criteria favours this ‘control’ situation) but also due to technical limitations in defending against wrestlers because of the rules. If the defacto rules and criteria was from Pride as opposed to the UFC, we’d have a completely different take on what the best ‘base’ is, let me tell you.

This is also not to say that wrestling isn't an AWESOME base for other reasons - wieght cutting, work ethic, getting on top to potentially damage, etc, but it is NOT the be all and end all - and some context needs to be understood to see that.

Just something to consider for the people still getting to grips with the sport.

-Mag

At the airport in Sydney about to catch a flight home. Great day yesterday, great fights, highlight was George's win against Stevenson. Crowd went ballistic. Got some nice photos of fighters as they came down the walkway, and made a few fleeting appearances on TV as well. I also bumped into Herb Dean at Circular Quay this morning. He said he loved it here, can't wait till he comes back to Oz.

Oct 3, 2005
On the Mat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Yeah it was a magnificent event. Best single event I've ever been to. Burned out today but totally worth it. Would do it again for sure, hope the next one is in Melbourne though.

Felt a little left out (in a good way) that I wasn't wearing a tapout or silver star shirt! I was thinking to myself how many of these blokes would be putting on their pride and joy tapout t-shirt, to stand out and show everyone how much of a UFC fan they are, only to be met by a billion others wearing the same damn thing! Without wanting to sound like an elitist MMA snob (which I probably am regardless :)) it was pretty easy to pick out the died in the wool old school MMA fans from the mainstream "buy-a-tapout-shirt-to-show-I'm-hardcore" fan. But its to be expected I guess. (Sorry to anyone here wearing one of those shirt, but its kinda lame IMO!)

Anyway all of that aside, utterly awesome atmosphere, and a generally intelligent MMA crowd when watching and appreciating the fights (although I did overhear some utterly rediculous stuff said by some dudes in the seat behind us on the plane - coincidentally wearing the full tapout gear!)... but hardly any booing, literally INSANE crowd cheering during george's fight. Deafening. And fantastic fights to boot. Without bias I really think this was the best overall MMA event for at least 2 years.

A little disappointed with Nog, but Cain is an utter BEAST and in my eyes is the #2 or #3 HW in the world, just hasn't won the belt yet, which he probably will get soon. This guy would be the best challenge for Fedor amazing fight IMO.

Nog is an absolute class act, but this was a torch passing event as Nog is past his best. I'd love to see Nog / Cro Cop II though, but I don't think Nog has what it takes to take the title anymore as he's on the way down unfortunately. Chin just can't take the punishment anymore.

drew_j

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fedor Emelianenko
Totally awseome. Velasquez (and Dos Santos) the new generation of HW MMA fighters. Can't wait for one of them to get their shot at the crown and wipe out these pretenders. Velasquez proved himself as legit yesterday. He had all the tools, was obvious to see, but showed up against an aging Nougeria to make his mark. The dude is scary, has the skills to knock off Fedor as the worlds no one heavy weight. And given Fedor's possition in his career window, would most likely do it if the chance arose. It would be a good fight. The event its self was epic. My throat is still sore from all the cheering. I don't think I will ever experience anything like George's win ever again in my life, save having kids, but that would be completely different. You hear soccer fans talk about atmosphere but I don't think that would come close to seeing that fight live, you can't discribe it without being there. The best way I have to discribe it is, about 15 years ago, I went and saw the top fuel drag racers. The noise tghey made as they went past made earth shake and your vision blur, and make you want to a step back from the niose . That's what it was like, but more excitement. Trully amazing experience.

GoGoGadget

Debutant
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah it was a magnificent event. Best single event I've ever been to. Burned out today but totally worth it. Would do it again for sure, hope the next one is in Melbourne though.

Felt a little left out (in a good way) that I wasn't wearing a tapout or silver star shirt! I was thinking to myself how many of these blokes would be putting on their pride and joy tapout t-shirt, to stand out and show everyone how much of a UFC fan they are, only to be met by a billion others wearing the same damn thing! Without wanting to sound like an elitist MMA snob (which I probably am regardless :)) it was pretty easy to pick out the died in the wool old school MMA fans from the mainstream "buy-a-tapout-shirt-to-show-I'm-hardcore" fan. But its to be expected I guess. (Sorry to anyone here wearing one of those shirt, but its kinda lame IMO!)

This. All of This.

I was at the movies the other day and a kid, 13 or 14, came walking out of the men's with a Tapout shirt on. Pretty sure if I had have asked him who Dan Severn was he would have looked at me strangely. Got a mate to get this from America when he was there, so I wear this..

Fedorwhite.jpg

at least anyone who knows what it is doesn't want to fight about it, just talk MMA..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
This. All of This.

I was at the movies the other day and a kid, 13 or 14, came walking out of the men's with a Tapout shirt on. Pretty sure if I had have asked him who Dan Severn was he would have looked at me strangely. Got a mate to get this from America when he was there, so I wear this..

Fedorwhite.jpg

at least anyone who knows what it is doesn't want to fight about it, just talk MMA..

is a gaspari nutrition muscle top satisfactory???

Port81

All Australian
Feb 25, 2008
Taperoo
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Everlast and fairtex T's is what i rock, no way im forking out 79.95 for a tapout T and see 20 other WWE looking dudes in the mall wearing the exact same one coz they watched UFC wired last thursday night, I had an affliction T 2 years ago, but I got that overseas fairly cheap : ) One thing i never want to be is an MMA Nazi though, but tapout clothing has blown the **** up and everyone is wearing it

LFTWNG11

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
S.S. Lazio
This. All of This.

Fedorwhite.jpg

I bought this top off Sherdog... still waiting for it!!! There is also an awesome Bad Boy Shogun Rua T-shirt on Sherdog... they have some decent fighter lines on their website.

I really never rated Velasquez.... until now, seems to have really stepped up his game. Just can't see him getting over Lesnar if that fight happens though. I can see him pounding Mir though.

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed about the t-shirts as well. I didn't bring my UFC top up there because I'd have felt like a try-hard tool. Joe Rogan wrote a pretty amusing piece a few months ago on how lame most MMA t-shirts are, link is at http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/1511

The event itself had an amazing atmosphere. I've never heard a roar so loud as when Sots was announced as the winner and I've been fortunate enough to attend some great cricket and AFL moments. Can't wait for the next time the UFC rolls out here, imagine how loud we'd be for Sots vs BJ in front of 20,000 people in Melbourne.

Shattering end to the day though to see Nog go down like that, he's been KTFO at both UFC events I've attended now. This wasn't as hard to stomach as the Mir loss though because I've been on the Cain hypewagon since he was first signed by the UFC. Honestly, I think he'd do some serious damage to Fedor if not rip him apart completely, I'm more interested in that fight than Fedor/Lesnar because Cain isn't a gigantic freak of an athlete.

I think I was one of many in the crowd who thought the referee stopped the fight right on the horn in favour of Wand. We were all going nuts. Sounds like it'll be Wand/Sexyama next, possibly even taking place in Japan or South Korea.

PLSC

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2005
LA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I dont really understand how you can bag people for wearing MMA shirts to an MMA Event! Its like saying people shouldnt wear footy jumpers to the footy because they look s**t. Yes the Tapout crew at shopping centres are w***ers but Im sure many people couldnt wait to put on their fav shirt to the Event on Sunday. I know I did :)

Was a pretty good day overall with George the hightlight and also Wand.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Anyway all of that aside, utterly awesome atmosphere, and a generally intelligent MMA crowd when watching and appreciating the fights (although I did overhear some utterly rediculous stuff said by some dudes in the seat behind us on the plane - coincidentally wearing the full tapout gear!)... but hardly any booing, literally INSANE crowd cheering during george's fight. Deafening. And fantastic fights to boot. Without bias I really think this was the best overall MMA event for at least 2 years.
You know a crowd is good when guard passing gets massive cheers. Sure it was the Aussie doing the passing, but someone new to the sport wouldn't know the significance of a guard pass.

Fedorwhite.jpg

I've got the same shirt. No ones ever acknowledged it or asked about it, nor have they with my Shogun shirt.

Hunters Host #3

The Duke
May 31, 2007
Jackson Wink Acad.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Broncos
Can't wait for the next time the UFC rolls out here, imagine how loud we'd be for Sots vs BJ in front of 20,000 people in Melbourne.

Forget 20,000. Roll out the UFC, (Championship - Main Event) at the Telstra Dome & push the attendance to 60,000. Would surely outdo Rod Laver Arena.

GoGoGadget

Debutant
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've got the same shirt. No ones ever acknowledged it or asked about it, nor have they with my Shogun shirt.

I bumped into a guy wearing the black version of the same shirt in Crown one night and ended up chatting to him over a few beers, hence why I bought it up..

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
Forget 20,000. Roll out the UFC, (Championship - Main Event) at the Telstra Dome & push the attendance to 60,000. Would surely outdo Rod Laver Arena.

sorry to burst your bubble but dana said he does want to use use stadiums much bigger than acer cos he wants the fans to be able to see the action properly and have to resort to the big screen

Oct 3, 2005
On the Mat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I dont really understand how you can bag people for wearing MMA shirts to an MMA Event! Its like saying people shouldnt wear footy jumpers to the footy because they look s**t.

You don't barrack for Tapout though. It's just try hard IMO. But whatever floats peoples boat. I just have noticed the influx of MMA wannabes in Tapout shirts, I guess its just another bandwagon thing, but good for them if it makes them happy.

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
i do find that somewhat elitist. Who cares if people rock up to the first UFC event in Australia wearing tapout shirts? The more exposure the UFC gets, the quicker it will become mainstream, and the better the chance i can read about it regularly on the back page of the newspaper instead of the usual "Dockers win away" type headlines.

Does it really matter how long (old school) youve been following the sport? Someone who just started watching UFC probably gets just as much enjoyment out of the fights as someone who saw Kimo vs Gracie live back in the day.

Agreed about the t-shirts as well. I didn't bring my UFC top up there because I'd have felt like a try-hard tool. Joe Rogan wrote a pretty amusing piece a few months ago on how lame most MMA t-shirts are, link is at http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/1511
Joe sounds like he has a bit of short man syndrome going on in that article. He bags out people for being tryhards that do their best to look tough, but at the end of that article he finds it necessary to tell the reader that he is going to the gym to work out. :rolleyes: Dont get me wrong, im a fan of Joe Rogan, but it sounds as though he is almost an elitist MMA fan too. But i guess it doesnt matter what sport is the subject, there are always those fans who think they are pure and witnessed the birth of something great and believe they are better than a bandwagon supporter.

I couldnt care less really. It was a great event. I only hope next year i get to see BJ Penn fight in Sydney. Id almost be torn in 2 if George came up against him.

Back