UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch (Feb 27 2011; Acer Arena, Sydney)

Remove this Banner Ad

Etihad is a great idea. Why sell out a 20,000 seat stadium when you can sell out a 50,000 seat one?

Considering they just sold 50,000 seats in Toronto, they'd expect the same in Melbourne.

If the UFC think they can sell out Etihad (which they probably can) then the State Government will be all over this. Interstate tourism for an international sporting event is an economy booster, not to mention the direct money that they will pocket from the UFC itself. The reasoning behind the laws are stupid anyway, given that MMA is legal, just not the arena the UFC utilises

Seriously? I was in the $100 seats at Acer and the view and atmosphere was awesome. We could see straight into the top of the octagon and the 6 huge screens were there when it went to the ground.

I can see them getting 45,000 at Etihad and most people having great views.

No im saying at ACER it was perfect, imagine sitting in row zz at etihad right up almost behind a screen, and having to pay $100 for it? Why would you bother. If they bring it to Melbourne, which is only a matter of time, and take it to Etihad there will be alot of disappointed fight fans. Its a moot point, when it get approved to come here the government will take it to Etihad for sure. More ticket sales=more money, pretty simple. I just dont think it would be a great idea. There is a reason hey have events and big fights in Las Vegas at 10-20,000 seat arenas, and its not because they wouldn't sell out 50,000 seat stadiums.

No im saying at ACER it was perfect, imagine sitting in row zz at etihad right up almost behind a screen, and having to pay $100 for it?

If you were at UFC 127 you might have noticed that seats behind the 6 large screens weren't sold.

The UFC configures the seating plans to ensure that all seats have an excellent view.

And as far as not selling 50,000 tickets, the UFC knows its business plan. They wouldn't even mention this as an option if they didn't have research that said they will sell out Docklands.

s**t just look at UFC 129, 50,000 tickets easily sold.

No im saying at ACER it was perfect, imagine sitting in row zz at etihad right up almost behind a screen, and having to pay $100 for it? Why would you bother. If they bring it to Melbourne, which is only a matter of time, and take it to Etihad there will be alot of disappointed fight fans. Its a moot point, when it get approved to come here the government will take it to Etihad for sure. More ticket sales=more money, pretty simple. I just dont think it would be a great idea. There is a reason hey have events and big fights in Las Vegas at 10-20,000 seat arenas, and its not because they wouldn't sell out 50,000 seat stadiums.
Dare I say those seats would be decent, and would be like $50 or $75. Worth it for the atmosphere.

A lot of times they don't sell out there cards in Las Vegas, and give away many of the tickets..

If you were at UFC 127 you might have noticed that seats behind the 6 large screens weren't sold.

I was and i did, if you read my post again i actually said "almost behind a screen"

And as far as not selling 50,000 tickets, the UFC knows its business plan. They wouldn't even mention this as an option if they didn't have research that said they will sell out Docklands.

I never said they wouldn't sell out Etihad, quite the opposite actually, i have no doubt they would sell out etihad, i think they would probably sell out the MCG, judging by Sydney airport on the way back home after the fight, my argument is that at a 50,000 seat stadium the cheap seats would be better off at home atmosphere or not. I would rather spend $50 on the PPV to sit in the comfort of my home with a few mates, beers that dont cost 8 dollars (and have to be "decantered" into a paper cup, WTF was up with that?) and a couch, than in the nosebleeds at Etihad, watching a dodgy bigscreen because Penn and Fitch look like micro machines.

Dare I say those seats would be decent, and would be like $50 or $75. Worth it for the atmosphere.

You may be right, and judging from the sentiments on this board i am way off base. I'll admit when im wrong, but personally I would prefer it at 20-30,000 seats max.

A lot of times they don't sell out there cards in Las Vegas, and give away many of the tickets..

Im aware of this but my point was more that the best capacity for one on one fight crowds is still moderately intimate, when a fight goes to ground its hard enough to make out whats going on from 10 metres away let alone at etihad where you could be 150 metres away.

Im aware of this but my point was more that the best capacity for one on one fight crowds is still moderately intimate, when a fight goes to ground its hard enough to make out whats going on from 10 metres away let alone at etihad where you could be 150 metres away.

That sounds like an argument for larger crowds rather than smaller ones.

I'm well aware that fights on the ground are hard to see from almost any angle, but that is why large screens are prevalent at an event.

If viewing of fights was designed around having the best view of ground battles, they would be limited to about 25 people who could walk around the ring at their own leisure.

At the end of the day it's your own decision though, if you don't think the ticket is worth the price thats your choice. The UFC though is pretty sure that 50,000 or so other people would want to go.

That sounds like an argument for larger crowds rather than smaller ones.

I'm well aware that fights on the ground are hard to see from almost any angle, but that is why large screens are prevalent at an event.

If viewing of fights was designed around having the best view of ground battles, they would be limited to about 25 people who could walk around the ring at their own leisure.

At the end of the day it's your own decision though, if you don't think the ticket is worth the price thats your choice. The UFC though is pretty sure that 50,000 or so other people would want to go.

Really? Again mate, i have no doubt 100,000 people will snatch the tickets up in record time. No one is arguing that. Clearly i am in the minority on this, for what its worth if the ticketing prices stay the same i will happily hand over $200 for my seats again.

Quoted on MMA Live Dana White said that he also thought Bisping's dirty knee on Rivera was deliberate.

Bisping has been find $100k and suspended for 6 months. Pretty big ban for a guy that wants a title shot soon.

That's a hefty punishment but gives them enough time to get things sorted with Sonnen ;)

Bisping has been find $100k and suspended for 6 months. Pretty big ban for a guy that wants a title shot soon.

I can't understand how a fight doesn't get stopped but someone can get a 100K fine & 6 month suspension after the fact.

If it had to be anyone, glad it as Bisping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't understand how a fight doesn't get stopped but someone can get a 100K fine & 6 month suspension after the fact.

If it had to be anyone, glad it as Bisping.

It should have been stopped, Rivera just saved Dana by continuing. Whole event woulda been an outrage if main event was a draw and co main event was a DQ.

I bet a big chunk of the 100k goes to Rivera.

I looked for this last night and couldn't find it anywhere? Is it on UFC website??

Anyway probably a bit ott, fine OR suspension should be enough $100k and a 6 month layoff is excessive imo. It is MMA not tiddlywinks after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back