MMA-UFC UFC 148 - Silva vs Sonnen 2

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
In the face off Sonnen did nothing but stand there and Silva just wanted to try and start something. Stop being a Moo and leave it for the cage. You can smash his face in all you like in there.

Agreed, can't believe Silva would be aggrevated at all by anything Sonnen would have done over the last 2 years. He should totally be fined for doing something you see at most weigh ins! :rolleyes:

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Silva got in Sonnen's face during a stare down which resulted in Dana White getting between them, I don't see what the big deal is. As has already been said here it happens at the weigh-ins so what difference does it make if it happens a few days earlier?

freshazimiz

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
Wakanda
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Bucks
OMGGG I can't believe I did not know about this till my mate ask me to watch it this Sunday and I had no clue it was happening this week.

Can't wait to see Silva ACTUALLY want to fight someone. Also interested in Cung Le and see where he sits in the UFC

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
OMGGG I can't believe I did not know about this till my mate ask me to watch it this Sunday and I had no clue it was happening this week.

Can't wait to see Silva ACTUALLY want to fight someone. Also interested in Cung Le and see where he sits in the UFC

Neither Cung Le or Cote are relevant in the UFC MW division. This is just a fight for the heck of it for the fans. This is actually Cung's toughest fight that he has had, and that is saying something. If he can pull some of his video game moves to impress the crowd before the fight ends it will be a success for the UFC.

If Cote loses I can see the only thing saving him is the Canadian cards coming up. He would be a decent draw card there if there are injuries.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can't wait for the main event. I've been without Foxtel for 5 weeks but have it back on now. Don't know how I survived.

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Sonnen by decision, he's always vulnerable to the sub but I think he'll hold up here after working with the likes of Vinny and I don't think Anderson can stuff him enough to catch him standing
Tito by decision, Forrest has checked out mentally and Tito will be ready for his retirement fight
Cote by TKO late in the fight after Cung gets tired
Stun Gun by decision, hope I'm wrong but think he'll put Maia on his back for three rounds and avoid any sub attempts
Mendes by decision, strange fight to make as it's a big step down for Mendes, I can't see Cody pulling off his lone trick
Easton by decision

Guillard by KO
Tibau by decision
Costa by decision
Roller by decision

Oliveira by decision

Jay C

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Storm & Stars
Can't wait to see Silva ACTUALLY want to fight someone.
This.

Anderson's last 3 fights besides Sonnen have been against Okami, Belfort & Maia.

I predict Sonnen by stoppage in RD 2.

Arecsa

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't wait to see Silva ACTUALLY want to fight someone.

He wanted to fight Vitor, and made him eat his foot as a result of it. He also wanted to fight Okami to avenge the previous DQ, and he went beast mode on him and destroyed him. No different here. Anderson ends this fight in brutal fashion when he gets bored of putting hands on Chael.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm rooting for Sonnen but if he wins it won't be before the final buzzer after 25 mins of ground & pound, and the more I think about this, the more I can't see it happening with Silva's threats and being so much more motivated.

I'd love to see him lose the belt but I don't think it'll happen this weekend. Put your money on Silva.

freshazimiz

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
Wakanda
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Bucks
He wanted to fight Vitor, and made him eat his foot as a result of it. He also wanted to fight Okami to avenge the previous DQ, and he went beast mode on him and destroyed him. No different here. Anderson ends this fight in brutal fashion when he gets bored of putting hands on Chael.
Touche.. It's just Chael is making this fight so much more personal dissing his country & wife and Anderson is taking it to heart (so he should be btw) in comparison to Vitor where he left black house and wanted to fight Silva for the title? And Okami is the one in the UFC that could claim that he bet Anderson and really he just wanted to prove a point that Okami got lucky. But yeah hate Sonnen so much but kudos for doing a very good job as being the bad guy and making it very interesting.

gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
C'mont/L'pool/Packers/Inter/Canucks
Main Event:
185 lbs.: UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - Sonnen dominated the first fight between these two (until the end) and his career is on the line. It should be an epic and intriguing battle. Every chance Silva will knock Sonnen out, given Sonnen will have to take risks if he's going to win. But Sonnen has amazing cardio and amazing takedowns and I believe he will get an upset win by decision.

Main card (pay-per-view):
205 lbs.: Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz - A couple of veteran LWs. Tito has more miles on the clock and this will finally be his last UFC performance. Griffin by TKO in the 2nd.
185 lbs.: Patrick Cote vs. Cung Le - Intriguing fight, as Cung Le's always are. I'm backing him to win this standup battle by TKO in the 2nd.
170 lbs.: Dong Hyun Kim vs. Demian Maia - It'll be interesting to see Maia at 170, but he's going against one tough opponent who will dominate the standup and get a comfortable decision.
145 lbs.: Mike Easton vs. Ivan Menjivar - Really impressed by Menjivar. Wins by TKO in the 1st.
145 lbs.: Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie - McKenzie is a talented young fighter but he's been thrown in the deep end here against a former title contender! Mendes pounds Cody until getting a sub.

Preliminary card (FX Channel):
155 lbs.: Habib Nurmagomedov vs. Gleison Tibau - Don't know the other guy but Tibau tough.
185 lbs.: Riki Fukuda vs. Constantinos Philippou - Fukuda has the explosiveness, but Philippou has great standup technique and very heavy hands and wins this by comfortable decision.
155 lbs.: Fabricio Camoes vs. Melvin Guillard - Don't know the other guy but every fight starts on its feet.
155 lbs.: Rafaello Oliveira and Yoislandy Izquierdo - Decision.
170 lbs.: John Alessio vs. Shane Roller - Decision.

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
Main Event:
185 lbs.: UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - Sonnen dominated the first fight between these two (until the end) and his career is on the line. It should be an epic and intriguing battle. Every chance Silva will knock Sonnen out, given Sonnen will have to take risks if he's going to win. But Sonnen has amazing cardio and amazing takedowns and I believe he will get an upset win by decision.

205 lbs.: Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz - A couple of veteran LWs. Tito has more miles on the clock and this will finally be his last UFC performance. Griffin by TKO in the 2nd.
185 lbs.: Patrick Cote vs. Cung Le - Intriguing fight, as Cung Le's always are. I'm backing him to win this standup battle by TKO in the 2nd.
170 lbs.: Dong Hyun Kim vs. Demian Maia - It'll be interesting to see Maia at 170, but he's going against one tough opponent who will dominate the standup and get a comfortable decision.
145 lbs.: Mike Easton vs. Ivan Menjivar - Really impressed by Menjivar. Wins by TKO in the 1st.
145 lbs.: Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie - McKenzie is a talented young fighter but he's been thrown in the deep end here against a former title contender! Mendes pounds Cody until getting a sub.

155 lbs.: Habib Nurmagomedov vs. Gleison Tibau - Don't know the other guy but Tibau tough.
185 lbs.: Riki Fukuda vs. Constantinos Philippou - Fukuda has the explosiveness, but Philippou has great standup technique and very heavy hands and wins this by comfortable decision.
155 lbs.: Fabricio Camoes vs. Melvin Guillard - Don't know the other guy but every fight starts on its feet.
155 lbs.: Rafaello Oliveira and Yoislandy Izquierdo - Decision.
170 lbs.: John Alessio vs. Shane Roller - Decision.

Can we take this as your entry to our tipping comp? ;) :cool:

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
Main Event:
185 lbs.: UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen -Silva is a huge worry to finish this inside 2 rounds, but I think that Chael will survive somehow and push this into the later rounds. Chael is a grinder and will be too much to handle in the later rounds but he wont be able to finish this. I'm also happy that Chael is on the Dolce Diet for the one and this is probably the point that has tipped me to Chaels corner. Even though he has 20 lbs to cut in 25 hours, I think his body is going to be at it's peak without the aid of drinking his own piss (ala Lyoto)

205 lbs.: Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz -Tito is hard to stop and I don't think that Griffin will be able to do enough to finish Tito, but he will do enough to frustrate him. Tito has a chance to clip Grifin and finish him with round and pound, but I don't see it happening.
185 lbs.: Patrick Cote vs. Cung Le - After Cung Le finishes pressing x, o, x+o, R, L, R+L in his video game combo, Cote will hit him in the body a few times. Cung won't like it and will drop is hands and then Cote will make him quit in the 2nd.
170 lbs.: Dong Hyun Kim vs. Demian Maia - I am hoping to see the one demential BJJ guy in this fight and finish this fight, but it will probably go the distance.
145 lbs.: Mike Easton vs. Ivan Menjivar - Menjivar will blitz Easton in this fight and finish him by TKO. Eason better be prepared for a fast start, which is not his forte.
145 lbs.: Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie - Long hair, don't care should be scared homie. Even though Cody is training at the 209 with the Diaz boys and Rousey, he hasn't been there long enough for him to do too much in this fight. This should be a first round finish for Mendes but whatever he chooses.

155 lbs.: Habib Nurmagomedov vs. Gleison Tibau
185 lbs.: Riki Fukuda vs. Constantinos Philippou
155 lbs.: Fabricio Camoes vs. Melvin Guillard
155 lbs.: Rafaello Oliveira and Yoislandy Izquierdo
170 lbs.: John Alessio vs. Shane Roller

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
dat blue text

sonnen 20 pounds over, with 24 hours to go before weigh ins. he'll be doing it tough

also seagal says he has taught anderson ~3 new moves that they previously thought were illegal. good luck shael

FGMPR

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Silva is going to DESTROY Sonnen. Sonnen pulled out all the stops in his last fight and still couldn't finish it off. Sonnen may have made himself and Silva some extra PPV cash with his (quite awesome) trash talk, but skill wise, they are a mile apart. Anderson has too many tools, and will have too many instant KO opportunities within 25 mins to let Sonnen smother him and pillow punch him 500 times again. If Sonnen couldn't pull it off last time, he has zero chance of doing it this time, imo. Silva by 2nd round KO, and no hug at the end :).

dat blue text

sonnen 20 pounds over, with 24 hours to go before weigh ins. he'll be doing it tough

also seagal says he has taught anderson ~3 new moves that they previously thought were illegal. good luck shael

I laughed. I don't know why, perhaps I was briefly hysterical with the thought of Anderson finishing Sonnen with some stupid video game move from one of Seagal's films.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Wasn't a fan of Anderson's antics at the weigh ins. The Press Conference stuff was fine, basically hitting someone in a stare down left a bad taste in my mouth though...

Expecting Anderson to really take it to Chael and probably end it with a TKO stoppage. Would love it if Sonnen could pull it off, but if he brings the sort of fight he took to Bisping he is in a world of trouble.

Back