MMA-UFC UFC 148 - Silva vs Sonnen 2

Remove this Banner Ad

UFC would have been better off with a loss to Silva.

I agree, I have always wanted to see Anderson fight permanently at 205, him fighting at 205 = better matchups, better spectacles, better for the UFC. Him winning kinda eliminates that possibility.

doping = far worse crime than a bit of vaso

meh, Chael got punished for that, what was it, almost a 1 year ban?, greasing + holding of the shorts is illegal, he didnt even get a slap on the wrist (ie point deduction).

Wow, Sonnen fans complaining about illegal acts! Has hell frozen over?

So gratifying to see Sonnen get put away after 2 years of sh*t talking. Hilarious way for him to go out as well, trying a spinning back elbow only to fall flat on his butt and get put away.

Forrest's interview after his fight with Tito was cringeworthy. Should have let Rogan do his job.

So relieved that Silva beat Sonnen!! I love watching Silva lower the hands and go matrix style with evading punches. That knee to Chaels sternum was sick.

But just to really make Chael look like a fool, he invites him over to his house in Brazil for a BBQ!

Awesome gig, I was rooting for Sonnen but called the Silva win in the 1st, little did I know that Silva had previously penned in a 2nd rd TKO in is gameplan. :p

rd: 1 Prove to the world how ineffective and physically demanding Sonnens gameplan was on himself.
rd: 2 show Sonnen how it's supposed to be done from the top position. raining down whilst simultaneously picking your shots for maximum effectiveness.

For the record I think Lavigne called it a touch early. Sonnen was properly defending himself... Although he wasn't really trying to improve position at all.. If nothing else, give the world a few more seconds of what it paid to see, in seeing Sonnen picked apart and eating humble pie 1 fist at a time.

So relieved that Silva beat Sonnen!! I love watching Silva lower the hands and go matrix style with evading punches. That knee to Chaels sternum was sick.

But just to really make Chael look like a fool, he invites him over to his house in Brazil for a BBQ!

Yeah Silva owned Sonnen in more ways than one that's for sure! At the time of the knee I called it illegal, but the camera angle was bad and it made it look closer to a head shot, on other replays it's clearly the sternum. Well played by Chael though, he had the gameplan right in round 1, just got caught by a fired up Silva in the second.

On a related question, have many guys got the mount on Silva like Sonnen did today? I can't recall it happening to be honest.

On a related question, have many guys got the mount on Silva like Sonnen did today? I can't recall it happening to be honest.
I'm pretty sure I recall Travis Lutter getting to mount against Silva.

Edit: Just had a look at the play by play of that fight and Lutter did get the mount. I don't think anybody else in his UFC career has got to mount.

Sonnen screwed up by putting his whole body into the spinning back hand. He tripped over Silva and from there he was screwed. Amateur move. Silva won, game over, end of story. You will never be Champion Sonnen. :p

silva_2010_banner.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure I recall Travis Lutter getting to mount against Silva.

Edit: Just had a look at the play by play of that fight and Lutter did get the mount. I don't think anybody else in his UFC career has got to mount.

Fair enough, thanks for that mate. I reckon the second round of the fight today went how everyone would have expected the fight to go before the first one. You just knew if Silva could avoid that takedown and land a decent shot as a counter that he should have the fight won, finally panned out that way today and I couldn't be happier with it!

Enjoyed Ortiz-Griffin, although Forrest should consider joining Tito in retirement. And seriously WTF was that interview? It was the most awkward s**t I've ever seen. Tito clearly wasn't impressed and spent half the time yelling at his corner like a brat for them to find his t-shirt. Forrest has officially jumped the shark after that performance though, pretty poor form to make such a scene when Tito should have been enjoying the spotlight one last time.

Lol at Sonnen's epic fail spinning backfist. I was hoping for a Sonnen win but he'd have to disappointed with himself for trying that move. Main Event a bit of a disappointment for mine, we didn't even really get to see Silva demonstrate much of his superlative skill (the knee was devastating but I thought it was illegal at the time, hence I was distracted and didn't really get to appreciate Silva's finish).

Costa Philippou again very impressive. Extremely strong and has great boxing.

silva has been exposed as a cheater. Greasing, short pulling, cage grabbing, and illegal knees. Take out the strikes he made illegally and chael wouldn't have been so rocked. Silva was scared with good reason. And all the chael bashers must have missed how he handled himself post match. You really have no clue if you hate on chael because what he says. How he acts in the octagon is always fair.

silva has been exposed as a cheater. Greasing, short pulling, cage grabbing, and illegal knees. Take out the strikes he made illegally and chael wouldn't have been so rocked. Silva was scared with good reason. And all the chael bashers must have missed how he handled himself post match. You really have no clue if you hate on chael because what he says. How he acts in the octagon is always fair.

Wow, now there's a offended Sonnen fan! :) Not sure if trolling or serious to be honest, Sonnen fans are always a bit crazy.

Wow, now there's a offended Sonnen fan! :) Not sure if trolling or serious to be honest, Sonnen fans are always a bit crazy.
Serious. He lost and i'm not asking for a rematch. But lets not gloss over silvas tactics or chaels humility. Silva has shown questionable attitude in the octagon before. He's no mma gentlemen

Serious. He lost and i'm not asking for a rematch. But lets not gloss over silvas tactics or chaels humility. Silva has shown questionable attitude in the octagon before. He's no mma gentlemen

Ok so he greased? Must have if Sonnen couldn't take him down at will! :rolleyes: Illegal knee? Was right in the solar plexus, look at the pic below. Short pulling wouldn't have stopped a takedown and that's the ref's fault not Silvas. And I must have missed the cage grabbing!

And speaking of cheats, why did Sonnen have such a long layoff after Sonnen v Silva 1???

Greasing? He was wiped down prior to the fight... had no impact on the outcome.

Short pulling? Countered by Chael's elbows to the back of the head in round one. Again, no impact on the outcome.

Cage grabbing? His fingers went through the cage, but he did not grab or use the cage to gain leverage. No impact on the outcome.

Illegal knees? For one thing, there was a knee and it wasn't illegal. I must have missed you ranting about Rashad's finish of Tito at 133 as he used precisely the same technique.

As for Sonnen's behaviour post fight.... it's always easy to be humble in defeat. If only he'd have done this after the first fight too (remember that one... the one he cheated in?) I doubt many people would have an issue with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back