MMA-UFC UFC 154 - GSP v Condit

Who Will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're probably right, but it only would've taken 1 judge to give it a 10-9 for him to win it, unless i'm mistaken re: the scoring rules?

One judge scoring it 10-9 would have meant the fight would be scored a majority draw. Would need two judges scoring it 10-9 for Rory to get the split decision win. You could well be right that he was only seconds from a win with some of the judging we've seen over the years.

I agree, was just about to say I recall the third round being worthy of a 10-8 if the fight wasn't stopped. Rory had the first two so a draw is what I think it would have been. Although I think I read that one judge scored the Teixeira/Maldonado first round 10-9, you never know with the judges.

29-28, 28-28, 28-28 would be a majority draw like in the Penn/Fitch fight.

tumblr_m7ebtepGb21r2isst.jpg

In that link BradWCE they seem to talk up Glover A LOT. Now you can't deny that match with Maldonado was great, but I don't believe for a second he's earns a fight with the likes of Rua or Evans, Maybe a Phil Davis or someone in the 5-10 range. If he dispatches with said challenge convincingly then sure, slot him in with another belt contender.

In that link BradWCE they seem to talk up Glover A LOT. Now you can't deny that match with Maldonado was great, but I don't believe for a second he's earns a fight with the likes of Rua or Evans, Maybe a Phil Davis or someone in the 5-10 range. If he dispatches with said challenge convincingly then sure, slot him in with another belt contender.
Yeah I agree with that. Looks like he'll be fighting Rampage next which is what was going to happen at 153 before Rampage got injured. That'll give us a good indication of where he's at, if he gets passed Rampage then he can get one of the higher ranked guys.

Yeah I agree with that. Looks like he'll be fighting Rampage next which is what was going to happen at 153 before Rampage got injured. That'll give us a good indication of where he's at, if he gets passed Rampage then he can get one of the higher ranked guys.

If Glover works his ground game there is nothing stopping him from beating Rampage.

Seeing how Rampage thinks being taken down and out wrestled is sexual assault.

Right off the bat - If Glover Maldonado first round was 10-9, then the only explanation is that you get a point back for being able to eat all the punches and elbows someone can throw at you. I remember Maldonado stunned him, but I think that was in the 2nd.

Anyway, so UFC143 came yesterday and I watched it last night. Took notes on my phone, so apologies if the following commentry is fragmented.

Firstly, I started with the Countdown and wanted to watch the Primetime to get me pumped again, but Primetime wasn't on the official UFC DVD Bonuses! That is rubbish, thankfully if I needed I could get my fix on Youtube, but none the less, it's bloody annoying. And the walkout music for each fighter - it's been dubbed over with some sort of rock track. It's not the same unless Diaz walks out to Deftones. They were my gripes about the DVD - actually I can't remember seeing any of the pre fight or post fight conferences... That would be pretty ordinary as well.

Okay, as for the fight...

I tried to be as impartial as possible, but I'm not sure I had success. I can see the logic in Guy's analysis, however I saw it another way, albeit I thought every round except the fourth was close.

The first round was Diaz. He may have been outstriked, but he stalked Condit relentlessly, and I agree with Guy in that he did look flustered, and at the end of the round Condit had a small mouse under the eye, with a minor cut/abrasion.

The second round was very hard to score either way. Diaz landed a solid combo at one point when he had Condit up against the fence, and Condit landed a good body shot in which Diaz did himself no favours by holding his stomach and walking forward. One thing I noted that while Condit was landing those leg kicks consistently, he was throwing a heap of spinning elbows and flying knees, usually whilst on the back foot. I didn't see any connect, not flush anyway. At the end of round 2 Diaz still had no visable damage, and Condit looked the worse for wear. I'm sticking with my original opinion that Diaz won the 2nd, however I would have no qualms about calling that one a draw, or even concede it to Condit if the statistics in the 2nd overwhelmingly favoured Condit (which the judges keep an eye on I think?).

The third was the most interesting for me. Yesterday I claimed surprise that 2 of the judges had Diaz winning it, as when I first watched it I was convinced Diaz did nothing. But on a re-watch I was able to look at it closely, and I had Diaz winning the first minute or two, then Condit took control landing some combos, mostly leg kicks again, but near the end of the round he slipped over whilst back peddling and he was dragging himself backwards on his arse in a comical and somewhat vulnerable fashion. He was saved by the bell and due to this and Diaz winning the start I can justify why he was awarded that round (solitary round) by the judges. Again you could argue either way, or even a draw. Again I'm sticking with my Original opinion and have Condit winning. 29-28 Diaz after three.

The fourth round was all Condit. He attacked more, even though he was still refusing to directly engage, he was retreating and then launching one counter attack after another. I reckon a good portion of Condits significant strikes came from the fourth. That Head Punch, Low Leg Kick, High Head Kick combo from Condit was sublime. Smacked Diaz right in the chops (and where he got the facial damage I think). Diaz took it like a champ though. Ate it, blew out some snot, and pressed forward again. Condit won 38-38.

The fifth sees Diaz start off with leg kicks (not his forte). Condit used a heap of spinning elbows - none successful.I had Condit winning just on strikes before the take down. Then I asked myself - does that negate the striking and make it equal, or does a takedown outweigh the earlier strikes? Diaz had the body triangle locked for 90 seconds and disengaged HIMSELF to transition to an armbar with 10 seconds left - Condit escapes and attacks for the last few seconds. I think based on the utter control on the ground Diaz won the fifth, but I wouldn't be surprised if the incompetence of the judges had the last few seconds as a win for Condit (escape, when in actual fact Diaz was just going for the win). I would be disappointed if that was their logic. I really hope they didn't penalise him for the taunting too - I know a lot of Diaz haters dislike him for doing that. I had Diaz winning 48-47.

I think Rogan summed it up during the fourth when he said it was difficult to tell how the judges would be scoring this. He said it all depends on what the judges look for in their idea of a good fighter - some like the aggressive guy who pushes the action, and some rely on the amount of strikes. I can't bring myself to agree with the Condit decision, but I agree with Rogans comments. I have the feeling that if Diaz won there would of been less controversy. Fight metric data would have been highlighted, but the typical rebuttal would have been Diaz pressing the action the whole fight, and in general most fight fans would believe that holds up against raw statistics that don't capture the whole context of the fight. There was those that claimed Diaz was more busted up than Condit - Wrong! He had two large superficial scratches, probably due to toe nails from kicks. I think the medical suspension received by Condit and not Diaz testifies to this. I also think that speaks volumes to the whole significant strikes issue.

Overall the fight just annoyed me. Diaz's inability to adapt mid fight and Condit refusing to engage. I understand that it was a clever tactic, but I just feel it was so undignified - actually jogging facing away from his opponent with his eyes looking over his own shoulder. I will give him creit for his awesome kicks. I think he will go toe to toe with Georges, as if he runs and counters again he loses all of his former appeal as a fighter that's good to watch - and to me, I think that's more important than the title (and it won't work on a wrestler of GSP's calibre anyway).

Great post Mean Muggin, some good points. One point I think that many people would agree on is that is was frustrating at times. I was waiting for Diaz to unload, and so to with Condit. I like both guys and was just looking for both of them to come in and be themselves.

I think that Condit has the highest finishing percentage of any current UFC belt holder, albeit the interim title. I was so pumped for the fight, but I am generally pumped for either of those guys to fight, and I normally back each guy in which made this an epic fight to look forward to.

When I watched the fight I was confused part of the time, but I did build this fight up a lot in my head, so I may be partly responsible. Condit fought smart in that fight, he did what he needed to do and he frustrated Diaz, along with the fans :D

I dont think that either guy realistically lost too many fans in that fight, I still love both guys. GSP is gonna give Condit a reality check in a few weeks though ;)

Haha, Good ol' Nick. Can't help himself. My favourite is the snake charmer - the one where he puts his hands up in the air and shakes one of them and strikes with the other, or mixes it up and strikes with the same hand!

As thugish as he appears I honestly don't think he's that bad. Never had a criminal record and comes out with some intelligent stuff at times (also prone to really stupid comments). I think Steve Heath said it best - 'Nick gets frustrated due to his inability to express himself verbally, but he's a poet in the ring' - paraphrased.

Alright, enough about Diaz. I've inadvertantly hijacked this thread and steered it off course. I'll save my best stuff for his own thread for his next fight.

Looking forward to this main event Sunday week. Hope there's fireworks and we see a knockout, or at least a submission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the Condit GSP fight going the exact same way if GSP's the slightest bit rusty. Condit's used his style to climb the mountain, now he's gonna use the Jackson way to stay on top.

Cannot see that at all. "The Jackson way" as you put it (I call it gameplanning) will see him come out aggressive and looking to land big shots from the get go as that's his best shot of winning this fight. GSP may be rusty after a long break, but he still has a massive wrestling advantage which will see Condit on his back early and often. I expect to see Carlos implement a similar movement heavy game plan (only at much closer quarters than in the Diaz fight as he will have no problem trading punches with Georges) with knees being his counter to GSP's double leg. Kicks will not factor in to his thinking much at all I wouldn't think.

Jackson isn't preparing either fighter for this fight due to him have a relationship with both of them anyway. I think the Jackson way is a bit overplayed too, there's plenty of fighters who fight "safe" outside of the Jackson camp and then there's plenty of guys who are Jackson's fighters that don't come close to fighting "safe". Garcia, Cerrone, Sanchez, Carwin, Stann and probably others who are Jackson's fighters are far from safe fighters.

I don't think there's much chance that Condit could employ the gameplan from the Diaz fight to beat GSP either. When Condit got up against the fence in the Diaz fight and managed to escape as Diaz punched and missed, GSP will grab Condit and get him to the mat. If GSP is that rusty that Condit would be able to emply that sort of gameplan successfully then I think Condit would come forward eventually and finish GSP. Condit would need to be able to "out Jackson" GSP early though, which I don't see happening. :D GSP by decision is my pick.

Watch the McDonald Condit fight! :p

Turns out UFC fights cannot be watched on Youtube, only other organisations appear to be on there.

Anyway, turns out I had an unwatched copy of UFC 115 at home anyway. Watched the MacDonald vs Condit fight...wow!

The first two rounds were all Rory - loved the way the 2nd finsihed, with both throwing straight kicks and Condit getting dropped. You could see Rory wilt straight away in the 3rd. Condit landed numerous savages elbows. Rory's face was a mess at the end of it. Even if the Ref had of let it go another 7 seconds it would of been a 10/8 round to Condit. Although I googled some info on MacDonalds injury after the fight, and apparently, according to the judges scorecard, the result would of been Rory winning by split decision...

Rory could be a real favourite of mine in the future - you can tell he has that next level strength (sometimes referred to as * Stength) the way he gets takedowns at will.

Pity he has a bit of Sharrod Wellingham about him...

That was the fight that made me a Rory fan... love the way he goes about things. I also like the way he's been handled so far in his career, the Condit fight was a big step up which he nearly passed and has looked terrific since against Nate (those suplexes were off the charts!), Pyle (crafty vet who put Rory in some bad spots) and Mills (dangerous striker). If he can get passed Penn (which I expect him to do with minimal fuss), the only thing he has left to prove is that he can hang with an elite level wrestler. Would not be surprised at all to see him get matched against Fitch up next if he beats BJ.

BJ is going to starch that kid. He actually put together a decent camp of extremely high level wrestlers and seems to be taking this one seriously. Rory didn't want a bar of Che Mills standing, he wont want any of BJ. And once he realises BJ Penn isn't some British kickboxer he can take down when he's in trouble, he'll fold. His only chance is to survive to round 3 and hope BJ gasses badly.

Anderson is flying up to watch this fight. What happens afterwards in the octagon could be interesting, assuming GSP wins.

BJ is going to starch that kid. He actually put together a decent camp of extremely high level wrestlers and seems to be taking this one seriously. Rory didn't want a bar of Che Mills standing, he wont want any of BJ. And once he realises BJ Penn isn't some British kickboxer he can take down when he's in trouble, he'll fold. His only chance is to survive to round 3 and hope BJ gasses badly.

Anderson is flying up to watch this fight. What happens afterwards in the octagon could be interesting, assuming GSP wins.

I poste in another thread that Dancin Andy is going to dubstep into the octagon after GSP wins and call him out, "I am not impressed by your performance" style.

As for Rory, he didnt fold under Condit in the 3rd round, and he wont fold under BJ. BJ has better boxing and wicked takedown defence, along with BJJ, but I think that Rory will find a way to win, but it will be a decision.

Are you serious I'll be pretty surprised if Rory doesn't finish BJ in round 1 or 2.

Unfortunately BJ's career is almost done.
How do you think he finishes him, TKO or sub? I'd be really surprised if Rory stops BJ, hardly anyone has been able to do it. If anyone is to win by stoppage I'd expect it to be BJ, but I think Rory will probably win by decision.

I didn't even know BJ & Rory were on this card. :confused:

Half this thread has been GD about Diaz/Condit fight & BJ/Rory.

Lets get on topic, feel free to continue this in the general discussion thread. I've just opened a thread for the event they are in too so check that out. :thumbsu:

Man I'm hanging for this card.

Back