MMA-UFC UFC 154 - GSP v Condit

Who Will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dana's already stated that Diaz won't be getting a title shot in his first fight back. A funny tweet like that isn't going to change that and if Diaz thinks it is then he's crazier than I thought. To "Sonnen" his way into that fight he's going to have to be a lot more vocal which I don't see happening. I found it funny, maybe he was just trying to be funny because that on it's own won't do much.

I'm not suggesting it would work, nor do I think it should. I'm just saying that he's trying to build public support by posting about a guy he wants to fight on twitter that he doesn't deserve to fight yet, much like Sonnen did with Jones.

Really? Only two. I think there were at least a few more than that.

douche_full.gif

I think after a couple hit the back of the head that the ref should have jumped in. That would have given Cote the chance to recover and if he was then unable to recover it would have been ruled a no contest if the strikes were deemed unintentional or a DQ if they were deemed intentional. As a number of strikes to the back of the head ultimately lead to Cote being finished I think a DQ was the right call. It wouldn't have come to that if the ref had jumped in earlier to properly warn or deduct a point off of Sakara.

Yep, the fifth and sixth strike that he throw in that series of hammerfists look to be the only clear back of the head shots. Compare that to Vitor's finishes against either Franklin or Akiyama and tell me who deserves to get DQ'd. I agree though that the ref should have been in there quickly if he felt that they were all illegal/borderline illegal shots and that Cote should have been given time to recover.

Hypothetically, say Hendricks has the next title shot and beats GSP, and Diaz puts himself as first contender by putting a savage beating on Carlos the 2nd time around, I posit that Diaz would ignore the opportunity for the belt and have a crack at GSP instead. He's just that type of bloke. Diaz might be doing a Sonnen but I doubt it's the belt he's lusting after - he wants to prove he is the best... and cash in.

Hendricks has great KO power and is a great wrestler, but I'd say that the smart fighters like GSP and Condit would have a game plan to pick him apart. Peirce, Koscheck and Rick Story have all been able to take him to a decision if they avoid his power punching early on. I'd like to see Hendricks v Diaz/Condit before he gets a shot at GSP.

Hendrick's is far from a one trick pony though. His wrestling may still be his best asset, it's just that his power is putting guys out before he has to use it. His fight with Pierce showed that his stand up is versatile and that he's not just a power puncher, while his fight with Kos showed that he's got a great chin (would have used beard, but that likely would have been taken literally). I'd rank him as a big upgrade on Ellenberger who gave Condit absolute fits when they fought a few years ago.

Wow I thought GSP was done after that head kick. The guy has incredible heart to fight his way back from that and still close out the round in top position & win the fight.

What was with the judging in round 3 BTW? 2 of the 3 judges determined that round 3 was GSPs but that head kick was the closest anyone came to ending the fight.

Even though Dana went off at Dan Miragliotta, I still think the biggest problem in MMA is judging.

As for GSP & Anderson I think Anderson would beat GSP pretty comfortably.

The size difference would just be too much and would probably prevent GSP from being able to take Anderson down, which would take away his greatest strengh.

While on the feet Anderson has KO power where GSP does not.

As for GSP & Anderson I think Anderson would beat GSP pretty comfortably.

The size difference would just be too much and would probably prevent GSP from being able to take Anderson down, which would take away his greatest strengh.

While on the feet Anderson has KO power where GSP does not.
To be honest, the size and lankiness of Anderson only helps GSP with his take downs. GSP would easily be able to get the take down, it's just whether he can withstand Anderson's stand up.

To be honest, the size and lankiness of Anderson only helps GSP with his take downs. GSP would easily be able to get the take down, it's just whether he can withstand Anderson's stand up.
They were my thoughts exactly, GSP will never not be able to take somebody down, keeping them there however may prove the most difficult part. Condit was able to get up a fair few times during the course of their fight, but the whole being covered in blood thing may have helped. I've never seen Silva covered in his own blood like that, maybe it's just not possible to do that to him? GSP's best chance would be a Sonnen-type approach in their 1st battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha! Darth certainly couldn't andle Luke's riddum, unlike GSP & CC.

But GSP really came out looking worse despite Condit losing half of his blood during the fight. Really seemed to mark up easy, even during his training for the fight.

Face not used to getting punched? ;)

Back