MMA-UFC UFC 157: Rousey vs Carmouche

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was clear & agree with alfy. But knowing the judges it could go either way in a fight not definitively won.

I thought there was a fair amount of Condit/Guida running about Machidas performance tonight, wouldn't have been surprised if the judges gave Hendo points for ring control.

I was bummed that I officially tipped Koscheck for the tipping comp, my 1st thoughts were Lawler, but I went with what I thought was the safer option seeing as Koscheck just went the distance with Hendricks, but then had the feeling during the intros that Lawler would win it. Awesome stoppage for Lawler even if people question whether it might've been stopped early - his hands went limp and it would've been a massive turn around to not only withstand the barrage of bombs coming in but get back to his feet during them after going out. Good call IMO.

Wow, talk about lucky for Neer to escape the 1st rd, he looked gone for sure 3-4 mins in with the kidney shots, then he gave up his back. Good win by Court McGee to grind it out, I thought he might get a 10-8 for the 1st and lost the 2nd.. At this point my tipping is suffering.

Faber just appeared hungrier for the win, the intensity he showed looked to be the deciding factor and he overwhelmed Menjivar to get the back and eventually the RNC.

Hendo v Machida could have gone a number of ways, it could have either been a slug-fest or a dance off and I felt I watched the latter. There were some good shots and it was mildly entertaining to watch Hendo search for a home for the right hook but overall I thought this was a major fizzer, if that was to be the main event I'd have been even more disappointed.

Rousey v Carmouche - wow, stomach was in my throat during the RNC attempt as we couldnt hear the commentary in the pub and it looked like a painful crank! There would've been some nervous punters that might've been looking for an easy pay day during that attempt, great intensity shown by both, they left it all in the ring.

Great job ladies. :thumbsu:

I think Machida won the first two rounds but as we saw in the Rampage fight the way he fights is difficult for the judges to score. It wasn't a great fight and I'm glad it wasn't the main event because it would have been another two rounds similar to the first three.

Great fight between Rousey/Carmouche. Carmouche put her in some trouble which she hasn't ever really been in so far. Rousey was good enough to escape and eventually finish the fight in the first just like every other fight she's had.

I thought there was a fair amount of Condit/Guida running about Machidas performance tonight, wouldn't have been surprised if the judges gave Hendo points for ring control.
What exactly is Condit/Guida running? I'll give you Guida running in his fight with Maynard, particularly later in the fight but I still don't understand everyone saying Condit was running in the Diaz fight and then lumping his fight in with Guida's. Guida was moving away the whole time and landing next to nothing but Condit despite moving away most of the fight was landing plenty. Way different IMO.

What exactly is Condit/Guida running? I'll give you Guida running in his fight with Maynard, particularly later in the fight but I still don't understand everyone saying Condit was running in the Diaz fight and then lumping his fight in with Guida's. Guida was moving away the whole time and landing next to nothing but Condit despite moving away most of the fight was landing plenty. Way different IMO.

I had Condit winning as well because he landed the better strikes, but I don't like the style of turning your back on your opponent and running. Its cheap and potentially dangerous. Don't get me wrong I was hoping Machida would win, I like his style generally. He's normally evasive but it seemed more like disengaging today because he was justifiably scared of Henderson's power. He turned his back on Hendo on multiple occasions, its a genuine tactic but its setting a shitty precedence for questionable decisions.

I had Condit winning as well because he landed the better strikes, but I don't like the style of turning your back on your opponent and running. Its cheap and potentially dangerous. Don't get me wrong I was hoping Machida would win, I like his style generally. He's normally evasive but it seemed more like disengaging today because he was justifiably scared of Henderson's power. He turned his back on Hendo on multiple occasions, its a genuine tactic but its setting a shitty precedence for questionable decisions.
Fair enough. I thought by running you meant running away and not fighting but you're talking about actually physically running to get back into position. Condit did that so I get what you're saying know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Machida would get the decision at the time and then watching all the "highlights" it was clear IMO that he landed the most significant strikes. Not that they were plentiful or all that significant. Was hoping for Dan to land one of those bombs, but never looked all that close.

Watched the Bermudez and Grice fight again last night. ******* amazing.

And Ronda? Watched all the docos. Will not change my opinion that she's a strange person, but she is interesting I suppose. Bought the PPW. It was a good performance, and I'll be really impressed when she eats a few hamburgers and puts Jose Aldo in an armbar.

All I can say is we were so lucky Rousey/Carmouche was the main event rather than Machida/Henderson. I would have slit my throat if I had to sit through 2 more rounds of those two.

482390_515747231809077_827481614_n.jpg

Some really good fights on the show.

Bermudez & Grice will be tough to beat for FOTY.

Main event was awesome with Rousey having to overcome that sub attempt by Carmouche which made the fight much more dramatic.

Yeah, told yas.

I was saying that as well. ROusey is a bigger star than both Henderson and Machida and the Rousey fight was for a title. Made all the sense in the world for that fight to be the main event.

I was saying that as well. ROusey is a bigger star than both Henderson and Machida and the Rousey fight was for a title. Made all the sense in the world for that fight to be the main event.

I was saying this all along.

Sorry I'm late to the party guys, I've just woken up from the Machida vs Hendo snoozer! Thoughts:

Rousey vs Carmouche was a terrific fight. Ronda showed she can battle back from adversity and Liz showed that she wasn't at all out of her depth under the big show lights. The ending turned out to be predictable, but what lead up to it was not at all what most people would have expected. Really looking forward to seeing both of these ladies fight again.

Besides the falling asleep joke from earlier, I thought the right guy won the co-main event. Machida was landing when he wanted to, while Hendo couldn't get anything other than some awkward leg kicks going. Machida really looked like the 2008 version of the Dragon before he went on to become a killer in the Silva and Evans fights. Hopefully when he either re-matches Jones or fights Sonnen later this year, he brings back some of his more aggressive style. Sad for Hendo that he goes from a title shot to being well away from the title picture, but a win against either Lil Nog or the Gustaffson/Moussasi winner would put him right back in the mix.

Faber looked impressive again against Menjivar, but I just don't see him doing enough to getting back to wearing the strap. Would like to see him mix it up against McDonald next though... that should bring fireworks! Menjivar on the other hand just couldn't get much going apart from that beautiful toss he landed early on. Once Faber established top position, he just didn't look like he was getting out. He's still young, despite having been around forever and should be able to find some good fights. I could see him and Bedford putting on a great fight. Faber's sub was pretty slick too... unlucky not to get SOTN for the transition IMO.

McGee/Neer was a strange fight. I couldn't believe that Josh made it out of the first round and to then see him fight as well as he did in the second just about blew me away. What did blow me away was that none of the judges thought he did enough to win that round! Overall McGee's striking looked good, but he took a lot of shots in that second round which is something he definitely needs to improve on. I could see him against the winner of Hardy and Brown up next while Neer likely gets cut with that loss.

Robbie Lawler! I love seeing Kos lose, so that was a nice way to get the PPV going. The stoppage may have been slightly premature, but Kos was only going to take more damage had Herb let that fight go longer. I was impressed with Lawler's wrestling defense and his ability to scramble against one of the upper echelon wrestlers in the division... both of which he'll need if he's to get anywhere near a title shot. I'd like to see him in there with a top 10 guy next... perhaps Kampmann? Kos on a 2 fight losing streak puts him in a tough position, much like Fitch in that he's a big earner who is unlikely to feature in a title fight again and has gone on record as not wanting to fight teammates in the past. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with him.

Schaub did what I expected him to do against Johnson, but I really don't understand how Lavar's TDD is that bad! There are very few guys that would risk standing and trading with him due to his devestating power, so TDD defense and getups should be all he's working in camp! Having said that, he did do a fair bit of damage off his back compared to what Schaub was able to do. Hopefully he gets another fight and can work on his weaknesses a bit, but he seems like the kind of guy who will continue along the way he has so far. Could see him against Mitrione if he wins up next. Schaub on the other hand will still be on the cusp of getting cut based on losing a few in a row and then fighting like a blanket to win. Could see the UFC matching him with Duffee next.

Chiesa looked like he was struggling with Kuivanen until he was able to get the fight to the ground. There's normally a massive improvement with TUF winners, so I'm expecting Chiesa to look much better next time around. At 1-2, Kuivanen likely gets cut.

Absolutely loved the Grice Bermudez fight... early front runner for fight of the year! Bermudez did a great job coming back from that early beating and likely should have gotten the stoppage in the third, but considering that went to the judges I think Grice should have gotten the nod for his work in the first two rounds.

Roberston's invented sub was interesting... apparently it's a sambo move, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he did just pull that off with no knowledge of it. His ground game looked pretty damn good overall I thought.... much better than it did in his last fight at least. I'd be interested to see him in with a striker up next so see how that part of his game goes.

I was away all weekend and was expecting to have to download and watch the fights today, instead I found a pub five minutes away that was showing it.

Missed the Facebook fights and wasn't expecting much out of the FX prelims but, like everyone else, I thought the Bermudez/Grice fight was nuts.

Schaub did what he had to do, he would have got KTFOd if he stood and traded and, given recent events, probably lost his job too. It's frustrating that a heavyweight who trains at the same camp as Cain and Cormier could be so bad at stuffing the takedown.

I was surprised with the Kos/Lawler result. Is Lawler going to be relevant again down at 170 or has Kos suddenly got old?

Again, people complain about how many title shots Faber gets but he keeps comprehensively beating the top contenders and it's hard to know what else to do with him. Because I was away I couldn't watch any of the pre-fight media but I saw stuff on Twitter that Dana suggested Faber could have been cut with a loss? I read after that Dana claimed it was overblown but what did he actually say? I'd love to see Faber fight Pickett next.

The Hendo/Machida fight went as I feared it might but hoped it wouldn't. Lyoto was wary of Hendo's right hand and he never really committed to anything after the first counter. I didn't find it completely boring live because it was a big fight but I've got no interest in watching it again.

The main event was great fun. I'm still not sure about the viability of women's MMA in the long-term but I think I like most about their fights is that grappling can still favour technique over strength. Rousey's won her seven pro fights by armbar since debuting in 2011, I don't think there's even been seven UFC fights in that time that have ended by armbar.

Apparently this card will do 400,000+ buys, with some people saying it's done 40% better than Super Bowl weekend card 156 (which itself is estimated at ~400,000 buys).

Pretty damn impressive numbers, it'll be interesting to see if Rousey's next fight could do similar and if the hype will be as big.

Pretty damn impressive numbers, it'll be interesting to see if Rousey's next fight could do similar and if the hype will be as big.
This is what I also wonder.

Will people be as interested in seeing Rousey again or was it just a case of being intrigued by the first womens UFC fight?

This is what I also wonder.

Will people be as interested in seeing Rousey again or was it just a case of being intrigued by the first womens UFC fight?
It will help that the fight was actually an awesome, action packed 5 minutes. I see Rousey being the co-main next time, before a men's title fight.

Rousey vs. Tate (should she win) is pretty easy to hype, because they are both good looking girls and great fighters with a grudge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back