MMA-UFC UFC 158 GSP v Diaz

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the last 3 fights really delivered to make up for a fairly underwhelming couple of fights to start the main card. Very impressive of Ellenberger to finish Marquardt like that as prior to that stoppage I think the only other person to stop Marquardt by way of strikes was Anderson Silva.

Condit/Hendricks was an awesome fight, as soon as it finished I wished it had been a 5 rounder just as CA has said. Only thing is for me it wouldn't have been a number 1 contender fight since I don't think a rematch with GSP would be happening yet for Condit if he had won. I thought Hendricks won the first by securing the takedowns and having the edge on the feet as well as the second through takedowns and it being pretty even on the feet. Then Condit was able to win the last round despite getting taken down a few times as he controlled the action when standing.

GSP/Diaz was a pretty good fight despite the result being very predictable. I couldn't see GSP being able to finish Diaz which he obviously didn't but it was a very dominant and impressive win for GSP. Now he's going to be fighting Hendricks at last, he was able to stay away from him for a while by getting the Diaz fight but now there's no denying him the title shot. I think GSP will win the fight though, Hendricks could catch him early but if he doesn't then I think GSP will be able to control the fight from then on.

Even though the Condit/Hendricks fight was awesome I'm now a bit disappointed that we didn't see Hendricks/Ellenberger. If Ellenberger had been able to put Kampmann away when he had the chance those two would have been at the very top of the division and would have remained fighting each other on this card IMO. I think that would have been a great fight too.

The prelims were pretty good too. Roop/Duran was a decent fight. Tamura was out of his depth against Dillashaw as was Mulhern against Story. Makdessi/Cruickshank was a good stand up fight with both of them displaying their unorthodox attacks. Mein being the first to finish Miller was very impressive as Miller is damn tough. Elkins looked good against Carvalho even if it was a bit of an early stoppage. Cote/Voelker was a great back and forth fight with both guys displaying awesome chins, could have gone either way.

I'll give him the worst beating ever? **** off GSP. That was some bullshit. Same old 50-45 GSP too scared to even try to finish him. Not happy. He's clearly the best ever at 170 with no equal and he wont even go for it once in 25 minutes.
Did you really believe him or think that he meant that though? It's like that dark place thing he was saying and when he said don't blink before fighting Koscheck or Shields. Nobody is going to buy that stuff, he just throws it out there for whatever reason, everybody knows what you're going to get every time GSP goes out there. A composed, smart, calculated fight from him which often results in a dominant performance. Sure, he doesn't destroy guys inside a round or two the way Anderson Silva does but he still completely dominates his opponents. Outside of one or two of his decision wins I think they've all been fairly entertaining.

I've pretty much had enough of GSP being champ. I can comfortably declare that his fights do not entertain me anymore, unless he's being challenged on his feet. It was great to watch him return and to see if he can recapture his winning best, but now that that is settled. I'd like to see another champion.

I'm not a GSP fan, I generally enjoy watching him fight and he's obviously a great fighter but I don't care if he wins or loses unless he's fighting someone I specifically want to see win or lose. Like his last two fights, I wanted to see Condit win and I'm not even sure why but I wanted to see Diaz win. Then there's his fight with Koscheck, I wanted to see GSP win.

I really don't get the hate about this fight with Diaz though. I thought it was a pretty good fight. When he took him down he landed plenty of strikes on the ground. Diaz was constantly looking for stuff off of his back when in guard but GSP masterfully defended everything Diaz attempted. They were standing for a considerable amount of time too, GSP landed quite a lot of good strikes on the feet and Diaz landed some good shots too which was noticeable by the way GSP's face looked after the fight.

I'm not a GSP fan, I generally enjoy watching him fight and he's obviously a great fighter but I don't care if he wins or loses unless he's fighting someone I specifically want to see win or lose. Like his last two fights, I wanted to see Condit win and I'm not even sure why but I wanted to see Diaz win. Then there's his fight with Koscheck, I wanted to see GSP win.

I really don't get the hate about this fight with Diaz though. I thought it was a pretty good fight. When he took him down he landed plenty of strikes on the ground. Diaz was constantly looking for stuff off of his back when in guard but GSP masterfully defended everything Diaz attempted. They were standing for a considerable amount of time too, GSP landed quite a lot of good strikes on the feet and Diaz landed some good shots too which was noticeable by the way GSP's face looked after the fight.

Agree with all of that.

I'll watch GSP v Hendricks for Hendricks. I'll watch Silva v Weidman or whoever else for Anderson Silva. I think that's the difference.
But, you're right, I thought GSP v Diaz was more dangerous on the ground than Hendricks was v Condit, who basically shot and then lay there until Condit got up. Although, those take down following the Condit knees were outstanding. Twice I thought his knees were giving way and he was ****ed and the next thing he's driving him to the middle and just dumping him.

GSP v Hendricks
Condit v McDonald
Diaz v Ellenberger

Something like that?

I was quite impressed with Diaz ground game. Yes, he was controlled but GSP had to constantly be mindful of position on top & Diaz forced him to be much more active in his top positioning. That said that was a masterclass by GSP in controlling from the top. They way he kept switching to avoid the roll whilst maintaining control was the best I've seen from him, also the way he'd just lift his legs of the ground slightly whenever Diaz rolled or repositioned so he'd just float on top of Diaz then again take position was exceptional.

A lot of credit to Diaz for forcing GSP to take his ground game to another level.

Condit/Hendricks, WOW! one of the most enthralling fights in recent times & three rounds just didn't do it justice. Hendricks take downs as has been mentioned won him the fight & had it been a 5 round fight would have been one for the ages a la Shogun/Henderson. Both fighters refused to back down & every knee from Condit looked like it could finish the fight but the kept grazing the chin. Hendricks even stated after the fight that he gave up on throwing the bombs after he realised they weren't going to finish Condit. Hendricks wrestling was great and late in the fight when Condit was getting on top in the third round & he was taken down, the frustration on was all over his face as his inability to stop the take down cost him the fight.

Both fighters, take a bow.

If you want a laugh, check out the post-fight presser.

Nick decides to show up about 40 minutes in. He goes from retiring, to wanting a rematch because he thinks he can win. To fighting Silva and wishing he had prepared differently for the fight. Having someone tell him when to go to sleep etc. Spouting s**t about not paying taxes and declaring he can "talk s**t all day". He got something right. Must have hit the reefer after the fight no doubt.

How's the contradiction?

"I want a rematch. Georges St-Pierre, if you'd give me a rematch, I‘d appreciate it because I could beat you. ... I'm trying to retire. I'm trying to get out of this gig. But I'd like a rematch. I think I can stop the takedowns and beat him. I'm not hurt. He hits like a woman. He hits like a girl because he's too scared to let go to get a real punch in"

I don't mind the antics in the cage. The slapping, the middle fingers, the s**t talking. Someone with his cardio and who lacks real explosion and power wants an angry opponent chasing him and whatever he can do to create that is a legit tactic.

I also understand the smack before the fight. He's probably made himself alot of money doing it.

But the post fight with Helwani and the press conference tends to lead me to the assumption I had from the start, which is that the bloke is just a dumb *. Rambling, incoherant nonsense. I wanted him to win yesterday just for the laughs, but I wouldn't be at all bothered now if I never saw him fight again.

Diaz had nothing for GSP. For all I care, he can retire and become irrelevant already.
He had nothing for him like just about everyone who's faced GSP thus far. You don't like watching him fight? I don't want him to retire because there's still plenty of interesting fights I'd like to see him in.

If you want a laugh, check out the post-fight presser.

Nick decides to show up about 40 minutes in. He goes from retiring, to wanting a rematch because he thinks he can win. To fighting Silva and wishing he had prepared differently for the fight. Having someone tell him when to go to sleep etc. Spouting s**t about not paying taxes and declaring he can "talk s**t all day". He got something right. Must have hit the reefer after the fight no doubt.
Diaz at the post-fight presser was awesome. At least he speaks his mind, he seems to confuse himself in what he's saying often but he says some interesting things. GSP is like a tape recorder, same robotic answers every time he talks until he decides to chuck in his dark places crap or how he's going to beat someone so badly.

The 2nd half of that conference was champagne comedy. So glad Diaz rocked up, hahaha.

“No offence George, but you can’t punch, you’re a wrestler” - He says whilst sitting next to Johny Hendricks.

“I don’t even know why you guys are sitting next to each other if you’re gonna fight”

“I don’t wanna make excuses”

“I could make excuses all day”

Man, I love Diaz, it sounds like he just wants more money and he'll fight still, which I'd like to see. Not for any title hunt, but just for the entertainment value with some other stand up guys.

He had nothing for him like just about everyone who's faced GSP thus far. You don't like watching him fight? I don't want him to retire because there's still plenty of interesting fights I'd like to see him in.
Nick promised a lot, delivered little.

Not particularly, Nick's style really isn't that exciting unless the matchup is perfect for him.

Nick promised a lot, delivered little.
What did he promise? If anything him complaining about wrestling winning fights in the lead up to this fight showed that he already knew what was likely going to happen. Even if he did promise a lot it's no different to all the other guys who've been dominated by GSP in his more recent fights. Outside of Condit landing that head kick, GSP has dominated all of his last ten or so opponents from beginning to end. The Diaz fight was no different to all of them.

Not particularly, Nick's style really isn't that exciting unless the matchup is perfect for him.
I still found his fights with Condit and GSP to be pretty good and the Condit fight was pretty close. I wouldn't mind if they gave him the Wanderlei treatment of good stylistic match ups anyway. I think his chances of winning the title is long gone so give him some exciting fights, maybe one with Kampmann next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did he promise? If anything him complaining about wrestling winning fights in the lead up to this fight showed that he already knew what was likely going to happen. Even if he did promise a lot it's no different to all the other guys who've been dominated by GSP in his more recent fights. Outside of Condit landing that head kick, GSP has dominated all of his last ten or so opponents from beginning to end. The Diaz fight was no different to all of them.
Said GSP hadn't trained with better boxers than him. GSP clowned him on the feet bar a minute or two in R3.

Said if he took him down then he'd have to deal with problems on the ground. GSP was never in trouble on the ground.

All I'm saying is this fight was hyped a hell of a lot, people saying GSP had never fought someone like Diaz and that Diaz could finish GSP. In the end, GSP won easily and never looked in danger.

Said GSP hadn't trained with better boxers than him. GSP clowned him on the feet bar a minute or two in R3.

Said if he took him down then he'd have to deal with problems on the ground. GSP was never in trouble on the ground.

All I'm saying is this fight was hyped a hell of a lot, people saying GSP had never fought someone like Diaz and that Diaz could finish GSP. In the end, GSP won easily and never looked in danger.
GSP controlled the fight on the feet for the most part like you say but that doesn't necessarily make Diaz's statement about training with better boxers false. He trains with Andre Ward who's one of the best boxers in the world, it'd be pretty hard for GSP to train with someone who's a better boxer than that.

Diaz said if he takes him down he'd have to deal with the problems on the ground. GSP did have to deal with the problems Diaz posed on the ground, the thing is he dealt with them extremely well. Diaz even gave him props for that despite making it sound like it was some sort of conspiracy.

If we want to look at pre-fight statements and weigh them up with what ended up happening in an MMA fight then most people who lose are going to have said things that turn out to look really inaccurate in hindsight. What's Diaz to say? He's got better stand up than me and then he can take me down too, I'll have to try to cause problems off of my back but it'll be pointless because his control is way too good.

How many people legitimately thought Diaz had a chance of finishing GSP? Some people even thought that Shields could beat GSP by submission yet he was incapable of even getting the fight to ground. GSP was a massive favourite going into the Diaz fight and outside of a handful of people most expected GSP to win this fight comfortably.

I get what you are saying completely, and agree with most of it.

All I was saying was the fight was disappointing because Diaz and, mainly, his fans promised so much. Diaz is still sprouting crap even after the fight.

Everything about this punch landed by Condit was awesome. The live camera angle was perfect with the camera being right over his shoulder and I think Rogan was saying that Hendricks has massive power but just a normal chin. This showed that he has a great chin to go with the power in his hands.

idoeFY6gefuAQ.gif

I'm the same. I prefer fights that are standing and exciting. Even in fights where it's taken to the ground and kept interesting ie: Condit v Hendricks are fine.
Go watch kickboxing if you want to see fights that dont go to the ground...

Will anyone ever finish Carlos Condit? He looks awful (I suppose you could call it uncanny) at times but gee he's a stud. Shame it didnt go 5 rounds because he probably would've won....

That's not what I'm saying. I prefer MMA to all other combat sports. But many fights do become very boring on the ground where the fighter does not advance his position at all and merely sits on top of the other guy. There are many great fights that are on the ground but I can understand when people say GSP fights are boring. I don't care either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back