MMA-UFC UFC 162: Anderson Silva vs. Weidman

Remove this Banner Ad

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He's back, ladies and gentlemen. The spider returns and that is truly a great thing for fight fans when the day arrives when he will walk into the octagon once again. Truly the best we've seen. This time he fights another great wrestling contender, undefeated Chris Weidman.

Here's the fight card for 162:

Middleweight Anderson Silva (c) vs Chris Weidman
Featherweight Frankie Edgar vs. Charles Oliveira
Middleweight Tim Kennedy vs. Roger Gracie
Middleweight Mark Muñoz vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight Cub Swanson vs. Dennis Siver
Preliminary card (FX)
Middleweight Chris Leben vs. Andrew Craig
Lightweight Norman Parke vs. Kazuki Tokudome
Heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Dave Herman
Lightweight Edson Barboza vs. Rafaello Oliveira
Preliminary card (Facebook)
Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs. Brian Melancon
Welterweight Mike Pierce vs. David Mitchell

Anderson Silva All Angles:

Main event is going to be sick, Edgar/Oliveira should be fun and we'll see where Edgar is at, then we have decent names all through the card.

Some fun hype videos, Anderson + Kanye is always fun:

Thought I'd go back through Chris Weidman's career, as it is only 9 fights and 4 years old and I either haven't seen or can't remember half of them. Here are my thoughts on each fight:

vs. Reubem Lopes, his professional debut at Ring of Combat 23. Lopes' only professional fight apparently. Immediately takes him down with a nice throw into side control, does to north south, punches him a bit and jags a kimura quite easily. Dominant performance.

vs. Mike Stewart at Ring of Combat 24. Stewart had a 3-1 record at the time plus a loss in TUF8. Is now 9-4. Weidman comes out with a big right hand, then they continue feeling each other out with jabs. Weidman clinches, grabs a leg, punches the body. Grabs the double leg and gets him down from that clinch. Side mount immediately, looks for the kimura again. Stewart gets up to his knees in a scramble, Weidman has a darce (gator?) choke on. Tries to roll him but loses it all, and they get up. Weidman throws a good jab, right hand and then swarms him. Knees, wild punches, it's over with Stewart turtling up. Dominant again.

vs. Uriah Hall at Ring of Combat 31, for the middleweight belt. Uriah was 4-0 here and the champ. Uriah does his hands down crap and gets tagged on the way back. Weidman shoots in, grabs an easy takedown. Rains down punches but Uriah uses butterfly hooks to push him off and get up. Uriah gets tagged the exact same way with his hands down and Weidman eventually punches his way to a TKO on the ground.

vs. Valdir Araujo, 5-1 going into this (13-4 now). Could only find rounds 2 and 3. These two are going back and forth, Weidman connects and Araujo drops. All over him on the ground now to advance his position. Araujo doing a good job of tying up with Weidman's waist. Araujo goes for some kind of leg lock it looks like, actually it looks quite close. Ref gets ready to stop it, but Weidman is quickly out, but Araujo now gets on top with his own take down. Lands some strikes, goes for side control but then stupidly goes for another leg lock and loses position. Back standing. Weidman immediately gets a take down. Back up and in a clinch, Weidman tries another double leg and grabs him to the ground. Can't keep him down though and we finish the round in a clinch, with Araujo actually using a leg trip to get Weidman down.

Round 3 starts and Weidman flurries to a clinch and a take down off a weak single leg. Araujo is back up quickly though. Weidman secures another take down and there is a scramble on the ground and they eventually both stand back up. Clinch for another couple of minutes, take down, get back up and repeat until the final bell. Weidman wins 30-27 UD.

vs. Alessio Sakara at UFC on Versus 3, 19-7 at this point. Weidman on 2 weeks notice. Sakara attacking the legs with combinations. Weidman looking for the clinch, gets a decent double leg attempt after 3 minutes. Sakara stuffs the take down though. Sakara going to the body, looking good. Round over with Weidman not able to get a take down.

Round 2, Weidman immediately gets a single leg take down and into full guard. Very nice elbow and Sakara is bleeding big time now. Into side control, nice pass. Sakara just can't get anywhere, get beaten on the ground by little punches and elbows. Sakara escapes, flips Weidman over! They get back up and Weidman gets the clinch immediately and another take down. Ref stops to look at the big cut on Sakara. Sakara wipe the blood on the refs shirt! Classic!

Round 3, Weidman with the take down and side control after 40 seconds. Half guard and side control for a couple of minutes, then they get stood up. Weidman with a double leg, gets it. Not much damage in that round but clearly Weidman's and he wins by UD.

vs. Jesse Bongfeldt at UFC 131, who was 15-4-1 at the time. Could only find the small submission clip. Jesse stands up after a take down, they exchange and Jesse looks for a take down but Weidman gets a sick standing guillotine and finishes it standing.

vs. Tom Lawlor at UFC 139, Lawlor was 7-3. Weidman grabs a Lawlor kick 40 seconds in and gets into full guard. Lawlor back up but then dragged back down. Weidman in side control, sets up the d'arce choke, rolls for it and squeezes it tight. Lawlor unconscious and its over.

vs. Maia at UFC on Fox, was 15-3 at the time. 11 days notice for Weidman. A grapplers stand up battle for the first 4 minutes of R1, neither looking impressive. Weidman grabs Maia's ankles and gets him down with a minute to go, Maia immediately back up.

R2 begins with a Weidman take down into side control, where Maia uses a whizzer to stand up immediately. Again a nothing round, with a late Weidman take down.

R3, similar round. Weidman with a take down, Maia back up easily. Both guys tired, sloppy take down attempt from Maia. Sloppy, terrible round. Oh dear.

vs. Munoz. Weidman with a great take down early. Gets Munoz's back, they stand back up in a clinch though, with a nice Weidman knee. Back into side control, has a guillotine. He's out of that, but all over him here. Dominating him, has him in full mount in a choke, Munoz gets out again though.

R2, Weidman gets the same take down as R1. Side mount, but they scramble back up. Weidman with a huge elbow, Munoz is out of it. ******* huge late stoppage, Munoz almost punched into consciousness and then unconsciousness again. Jesus.

Wow, that turned into a whole lot of writing! :D

In conclusion though, from watching all his fights, I'm not super convinced on Weidman as a potential guy to knock Anderson off his throne. Sure he looked amazing in his last fight against Munoz, who I don't rate at all, but he looked equally poor against Maia too. If he brings that striking game vs. Anderson, he's going to be embarrassed.

He also needs to be careful in the clinch for Anderson, as Rich Franklin took note of. That's a strength of Weidman's - control and take downs from the clinch - but if he doesn't keep that locked on strong he could be feeling some knees coming his way.

If Silva can keep that distance and get Weidman shooting from too far out, he'll be able to pick him apart.

I also think that if Weidman does take Silva down, he allows a lot of opportunity for his opponent to stand up. He's not as one dimensional and strong as Sonnen on the ground, and this allows for scrambles and whizzers to stand up. It also gives the opportunity to find a submission, but Silva is a top class BJJ practitioner too.

Weidman is one of the last "new" opponents for Anderson. With Bisping the perennial bridesmaid, Rockhold getting TRT'ed in style, there's little remaining for him. I'd sill like to see like to see him fight Machida, but that's never happening.

Weidman has the tools to give Silva a run for his money, but that's just on paper. He seems like a Sonnen with KO power, but things can change quickly in a fight with Silva. Weidman has a degree in psychology, so I hope that he doesnt get overwhelmed and we see a good fight.

Weidman has the tools to give Silva a run for his money, but that's just on paper. He seems like a Sonnen with KO power, but things can change quickly in a fight with Silva. Weidman has a degree in psychology, so I hope that he doesnt get overwhelmed and we see a good fight.
Weidman has power in his hands, but it's not as strong as people are talking. He is yet to straight KO anyone from a punch or kick, with the Munoz one being the closest. I think the Munoz one was more from the surprise of the strike and if he gets that close to Silva with an elbow, he's having 3-4-5 punches coming flying back at him :)

Silva has a hell of a chin too.

Weidman has to be working on his dynamic take downs from outside range and also his control in side mount and on the ground to have any chance in this fight.

Weidman has power in his hands, but it's not as strong as people are talking. He is yet to straight KO anyone from a punch or kick, with the Munoz one being the closest. I think the Munoz one was more from the surprise of the strike and if he gets that close to Silva with an elbow, he's having 3-4-5 punches coming flying back at him :)

Weidman has to be working on his dynamic take downs from outside range and also his control in side mount and on the ground to have any chance in this fight.

I tend to agree with you on most things with Weidman, and I can see that you've done your homework :D Weidman is an interesting matchup on paper, but I have no idea why so many people are picking him to beat Anderson. I'm looking forward to the fight and I'm glad that this match up is happening, but I see Silva winning this.

I think Weidman is pretty overrated for what he has accomplished in his short career so far. He has some impressive finishes but none of his opponents he has fought are even close to the fighter that Anderson is.

I am very surprised by the amount of fighters picking against Anderson, I thought they would have learn't that you never pick against Anderson Silva.

I think Silva will win too but I'm not surprised that there's a lot of Weidman support. On paper it's Anderson's toughest opponent in terms of the skills that Weidman possesses. Weidman brings good wrestling, a good ground game and his striking is quite good too. What we'll find out is whether Weidman's good enough in any of those areas to win. The most important being the wrestling, if Weidman can't get the fight to the ground much then I don't see him having much of a chance.

As someone on here pointed out, Sonnen didn't outwrestle Silva in the first fight as badly as I was making it seem. One time Silva slipped which allowed Sonnen to jump into his guard and Silva actually took Sonnen down once, although Sonnen quickly reversed the position. That together with this article has me wondering how well Weidman will go trying to take Silva down.

One of the most underrated aspects about him I reckon. Plus, has anyone ever seen him bleed? Dude must have leather skin or something, amazing.

And yeah, I'm not convinced Weidman is the guy either, it's hard to tell how good someone is until they lose though so you never know. Top write up Alfy! :thumbsu:

Here's a good write up on Bleacher Report about beating Silva, it's fairly long but very insightful and detailed, dude knows his s**t.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687489-killing-the-king-anderson-silva

One of the most underrated aspects about him I reckon. Plus, has anyone ever seen him bleed? Dude must have leather skin or something, amazing.

And yeah, I'm not convinced Weidman is the guy either, it's hard to tell how good someone is until they lose though so you never know. Top write up Alfy! :thumbsu:

Here's a good write up on Bleacher Report about beating Silva, it's fairly long but very insightful and detailed, dude knows his s**t.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687489-killing-the-king-anderson-silva

Haha so true.. I've never seen him bleed. I'm pretty sure he's only two losses are from a crazy flying leg lock and a DQ.. Weidman will look good until he hit Silva and Silva hits him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha so true.. I've never seen him bleed. I'm pretty sure he's only two losses are from a crazy flying leg lock and a DQ.. Weidman will look good until he hit Silva and Silva hits him.

He's lost a couple more fights too. His two losses in Pride were by submission; one because of that crazy flying scissor heel hook and the other by triangle choke. The DQ loss was to Okami because he knocked him out from his back with an illegal upkick. The other loss was by decision early in his career I think. He's a much better fighter now than he was back when he lost those fights and even then a couple of those losses were either unlucky (the DQ) or ridiculous (the heel hook).

He's lost a couple more fights too. His two losses in Pride were by submission; one because of that crazy flying scissor heel hook and the other by triangle choke. The DQ loss was to Okami because he knocked him out from his back with an illegal upkick. The other loss was by decision early in his career I think. He's a much better fighter now than he was back when he lost those fights and even then a couple of those losses were either unlucky (the DQ) or ridiculous (the heel hook).
Weidman by flying heel hook?

On a serious note, I can't see Silva losing unless he has a sudden career fade out like Fedor did. Fedor seemed to go from being at the top of his game to passed his best very quickly.

He went out on a win streak but not against the level of competition that saw him lose three in a row. I hope we don't see sudden fall like that with Silva. But he still seems further ahead of those in his division than Fedor was & doesn't have to worry about fighters weighing up to 50 pounds more than him come fight time.

On a serious note, I can't see Silva losing unless he has a sudden career fade out like Fedor did. Fedor seemed to go from being at the top of his game to passed his best very quickly.

He went out on a win streak but not against the level of competition that saw him lose three in a row. I hope we don't see sudden fall like that with Silva. But he still seems further ahead of those in his division than Fedor was & doesn't have to worry about fighters weighing up to 50 pounds more than him come fight time.

You'd hope not considering silva has 10 fights to go on his contract

Wideman by third gunman on the grassy knoll. I think his first two shooters would still probably miss Silva.

It'd take more than three...

2lc18vc.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back