MMA-UFC UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva II

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
This has just been confirmed for December 28! Rousey vs Tate will be co-main.

UFC site card.

Middleweight Chris Weidman (c) vs. Anderson Silva
Women's Bantamweight Ronda Rousey (c) vs Miesha Tate
Heavyweight Josh Barnett vs Travis Browne
Lightweight Jim Miller vs. Fabrício Camões
Featherweight Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
Middleweight Chris Leben vs. Uriah Hall
Lightweight Gleison Tibau vs. Michael Johnson
Featherweight Dennis Siver vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Welterweight John Howard vs. Siyar Bahadurzada

Preliminary card (Online)
Welterweight William Macario vs. Bobby Voelker
Featherweight Robbie Peralta vs. Estevan Payan

That's great news, especially because we don't have to wait too long. Either Silva will take back his crown after his first setback in a long time or Weidman will be able to prove just how good he is.

If Weidman wins again people who aren't giving him anywhere near the credit that he deserves will have to. If he loses though, all these people will say Silva handed him the first win and that this time he got the real Silva or some crap like that.

I'm going to this! :) Does anyone know how to find out when tix go on sale? 166 and 167 just went on sale so i'm guessing it will be pretty soon? My budget for seats is about 500 bucks, hoping that will get me something decent.
join the UFC fight club my brother did this you get priority to buy tickets plus you get extras on fight day I think a seat at press confrence and stuff. it worthwhile just to get decent seats.

join the UFC fight club my brother did this you get priority to buy tickets plus you get extras on fight day I think a seat at press confrence and stuff. it worthwhile just to get decent seats.

Done it already mate! :) Not going all the way to Vegas to maybe not get decent seats! Didn't know I could go to the press conference, hoping we get to go to the weigh ins as well.

It's a bit annoying actually, they say you need to check the UFC website every day to see when tix go on sale, would be nice if they just told you a date so you knew. So yeah, I check it every half hour ha ha!

Done it already mate! :) Not going all the way to Vegas to maybe not get decent seats! Didn't know I could go to the press conference, hoping we get to go to the weigh ins as well.

It's a bit annoying actually, they say you need to check the UFC website every day to see when tix go on sale, would be nice if they just told you a date so you knew. So yeah, I check it every half hour ha ha!

I am going too.. Saw Michael Tyrrell smash Pedro in Melbourne a few weeks ago.

Can't wait to see the real thing in Vegas!!!!

It'll be interesting to see what goes down. Weidman has so much upside and he's already claimed the belt in only his 10th professional fight. Silva has opened favourite but I would have to favour Weidman considering the circumstances.

1. Weidman was coming off a long layoff from shoulder surgery after demolishing Mark Munoz. If he is able to get more training under the belt for this fight his improvement could be rapid.
2. Weidman is one of the largest middleweights in terms of height and size couple with his strong wrestling base means he is able to get Silva to the ground and control him. Silva has always been deceptively strong with the ability to shrug off smaller middleweights.
3. Weidman is the first fight in a while that Silva has a slight reach disadvantage, which is detrimental to Silva's counter striking. Forrest Griffin and Thales Leites both had reach advantages against Silva but aren't as competent as Weidman in the striking department.
4. Silva's age will at some point become a problem as the cumulative effects of his fights and injuries take their toll. Silva needs his reflexes to execute his gameplan and if these start deteriorating it makes life difficult in winning the belt.
5. Weidman was one of the few fighters that was not intimidated mentally by Silva. Griffin has spoken about the nerves he had the night before his fight with Silva and how he took Xanax the night before the fight. As such Silva will not win the fight before he enters the cage.

If Weidman is to defend his belt he needs to make sure he is using his striking to set up his takedowns so that he can use ground and pound or submit (or threaten with submissions) Silva. My prediction is Weidman by kimura in round 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can hear it now.

And the winner by....
Is... Anderson 'the spider' Silva!!!

Yes. Officially placed in the records would be terrific.

The more I think about it, the more I think he'll come back in frightening shape. He has possibly the biggest ego of any sportsperson I have ever seen, but he would have been embarrassed by the first fight. That should scare the s**t out of Chris.

Anderson Silva deserved to lose the last one. His fault for showboating.

I reckon he'll come out seriously and get the title back.

I still want to see either Silva vs Jones or Silva vs St Pierre some day. :(

Anderson Silva deserved to lose the last one. His fault for showboating.

I reckon he'll come out seriously and get the title back.

I still want to see either Silva vs Jones or Silva vs St Pierre some day. :(

I reckon the second fight could look a lot different, we might have Weidman going for more takedowns and GnP. Thing was Silva scrambled well to his feet in the first after being taken down, these two could have a great ground battle as well.

Wouldn't mind Silva v GSP, not much interest in seeing Jones elbow the bejesus out of Silva's head for a ground and pound TKO victory.

I reckon the second fight could look a lot different, we might have Weidman going for more takedowns and GnP. Thing was Silva scrambled well to his feet in the first after being taken down, these two could have a great ground battle as well.

Wouldn't mind Silva v GSP, not much interest in seeing Jones elbow the bejesus out of Silva's head for a ground and pound TKO victory.

I would expect an uncharacteristically serious Anderson Silva to turn up for the rematch and be all business. Should make for a great contest.

I would expect an uncharacteristically serious Anderson Silva to turn up for the rematch and be all business. Should make for a great contest.
Yep he was that way even after beating Sonnen so after the loss i see him having a burning desire to get back the belt.

Might be the game changer in his fighting style like it was for GSP when Serra beat him.

Yep he was that way even after beating Sonnen so after the loss i see him having a burning desire to get back the belt.

Might be the game changer in his fighting style like it was for GSP when Serra beat him.

I think so. No room for lairising in the rematch. Just get the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back