MMA-UFC UFC 189 - Aldo (Mendes) v McGregor/Lawler v MacDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The big boys are down, well done to Werdum the new baddest man on the planet!!

On to the big show now for the little guys. 2 title fights, solid fights all the way through but lets be honest... This is the Conor show. Thoughts, tips, general musings.

Main Card
Featherweight José Aldo (c) vs. Conor McGregor
Welterweight Robbie Lawler (c) vs. Rory MacDonald
Featherweight Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens
Welterweight Gunnar Nelson vs. John Hathaway
Bantamweight Thomas Almeida vs. Brad Pickett

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Welterweight Matt Brown vs. Tim Means
Welterweight Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard
Welterweight Mike Swick vs. Alex Garcia
Bantamweight Cody Garbrandt vs. Henry Briones

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Flyweight Neil Seery vs. Louis Smolka
Lightweight Yosdenis Cedeno vs. Cody Pfister

My three things

1- Lawler v MacDonald is compelling, huge fan of both guys, this fight is super low key but i think it will be bigger than the main event
2- The three welterweight fights on the prelim card are awesome, make sure you get there early
3- Conor, i love him like few others but Aldo is a killer... This is gonna be amazing

compared to yesterday this is a very strong card, its pretty crazy if you said to me a year a go there would be a ppv and featherweight fight would be the main and WW be the co main id be shaking my head. Rory to take the WW title and hold it, Aldo to win though if connor did win UFC would have there star that they so desperately need. The UFC have invested alot of money in Connor wonder what impact it will have if it doesnt come off.

Would love for Aldo to take McGregor's head clean off. Should have had to fight Mendes or Edgar before getting a title shot.
It would have been good if he had a tougher test than Siver in his last fight. No complaints from me that he's getting the title shot though. There's been plenty of less deserving title challengers and there's no point risking such a big money fight by having him face Edgar or Mendes first.

Anyone seen this?
method=get&s=mcgregor-josh-mario-john.jpg

Apparently McGregor copied this Canadian Model with his "look". I'd say he pretty much succeeded if if was trying to look like a douche.

Read it on bleacher this morning, there were reports yesterday he had been injured that were quickly refuted.

If its true i think Mystic Mac is gonna have a field day on the microphones.

Just reading them now. I knew this was gonna happen:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn, now when Connor kicks his head in people are gonna be all like "yeah but he had broken ribs man, it was an unfair fight".

So we get a rematch so he can do it again?

Im on the record saying its all hype.

Fight will still go ahead.

I hope

Nah i think its more to do with the drug testing fiasco I bet he doesnt show and guess what Frankie fight for the intrim and derails the connor hype then rematches Aldo and losses. its the Circle of life frankie can beat Connor but not Aldo, Connor can beat Aldo but not Frankie

Well the more and more I read...yep, aldo is injured.:(

I'm not that bummed about the news. Card's still great and they'll probably fight later anyway. I'm assuming Aldo will be out because otherwise letting this leak to the media would be really dumb. If Aldo's out then it's pretty funny that the UFC spent heaps of money promoting this fight and completely ignored the other great title fight.

They'll want to keep McGregor on the card but won't want to risk him losing. Mendes would be the worst choice to have him fight and I don't like McGregor's chances in that fight. Edgar would be a risky fight too but I think McGregor's got a good chance of winning that. Most likely it'll be some striker who nobody expects to win (Like Siver in his last fight).

Nah i think its more to do with the drug testing fiasco I bet he doesnt show and guess what Frankie fight for the intrim and derails the connor hype then rematches Aldo and losses. its the Circle of life frankie can beat Connor but not Aldo, Connor can beat Aldo but not Frankie
So you think there's no injury and Aldo won't be fighting because of the drug testing thing? What about the drug testing makes you think he won't be fighting?

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-UFC-189

In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

Sounds promising. An interim title fight if Aldo can't go is pretty gimmicky though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back