UFC 190 - Rousey V Correira

Remove this Banner Ad

Get on the train man...dont hate. She is the best female athlete going around atm, you cant deny that.
Sure you can deny that. What makes her a better athlete than Serena Williams? What makes her a better athlete than the women she lost to in judo? What makes her a better athlete than women participating in sports where there is actual competition between the top participants? She's a very good MMA fighter, but there's no evidence to indicate that she's anywhere near the best female athlete.

Really? Has anyone ever retired undefeated in MMA? Might not have the prestige but it certainly seems much more difficult.
What I was getting at is that nobody gives a s**t about being undefeated in MMA. Nobody looks down at Penn or Couture for having plenty of losses. Nobody cares that McGregor lost a couple of fights early, with one coming against a terrible fighter. Nobody cares that JDS, Aldo or Anderson lost to fighters that didn't accomplish much in the sport. A loss to Cyborg outside of BW won't hurt her legacy much at all.

Fun fact
Before being chemically enhanced Cyroid fought at 135
When's the last time she weighed in at 135 pounds? She got down to 140 for her fight with Baszler. She was 23 when that fight took place. Steroids or not, the fact that she was able to get down to 135 pounds when she was in her early 20s doesn't mean anything today.

Not doubting you, but when did she actually make 135 pounds?

Sure you can deny that. What makes her a better athlete than Serena Williams? What makes her a better athlete than the women she lost to in judo? What makes her a better athlete than women participating in sports where there is actual competition between the top participants? She's a very good MMA fighter, but there's no evidence to indicate that she's anywhere near the best female athlete.

What I was getting at is that nobody gives a s**t about being undefeated in MMA. Nobody looks down at Penn or Couture for having plenty of losses. Nobody cares that McGregor lost a couple of fights early, with one coming against a terrible fighter. Nobody cares that JDS, Aldo or Anderson lost to fighters that didn't accomplish much in the sport. A loss to Cyborg outside of BW won't hurt her legacy much at all.

She has been voted the best female athlete two years running, not best female fighter, best female athlete, she beat Serena this year. I'd take that.

I agree on your second point but i think if she (or anyone in MMA, Chris Weidman springs to mind) could retire undefeated it would hold a huge amount of prestige. Its so much harder to do it than it is in Boxing.

She has been voted the best female athlete two years running, not best female fighter, best female athlete, she beat Serena this year. I'd take that.
The ESPN ESPY awards, right? Fans vote on that. A popularity contest that has Williams beating Rousey would be very surprising. I'm assuming that it's mainly Americans who vote. I don't think a vote for Rousey means they necessarily think she's a better athlete than Williams either, as plenty would be voting Rousey for far worse reasons.

I agree on your second point but i think if she (or anyone in MMA, Chris Weidman springs to mind) could retire undefeated it would hold a huge amount of prestige. Its so much harder to do it than it is in Boxing.
Yeah, that's fair enough. Although, Rousey remaining undefeated isn't harder than say Mayweather remaining undefeated, simply because of the opposition that they're competing against.

The ESPN ESPY awards, right? Fans vote on that. A popularity contest that has Williams beating Rousey would be very surprising. I'm assuming that it's mainly Americans who vote. I don't think a vote for Rousey means they necessarily think she's a better athlete than Williams either, as plenty would be voting Rousey for far worse reasons.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Although, Rousey remaining undefeated isn't harder than say Mayweather remaining undefeated, simply because of the opposition that they're competing against.

With due respect to you (and i agree with just about everything else you write on MMA) ill take the opinion of a couple million people who voted as a better sample size than just your opinion. Obviously i think she is comfortably the best female athlete going around and you don't. The ESPY's would indicate more people agree with me than you. In any event its all an opinion, i was just providing some evidence.

On the second point Floyd (and boxer in general) get to hand pick opponents and pad legacies, there is also the "Vegas" rule and the fact that flash knockouts (or freak submissions) are alot harder to come by in Boxing, thats why (to my knowledge) no high level MMA fighter has been able to retire undefeated but a few boxers have.

I think this is pointless, were arguing opinions but for the sake of it

2014- Williams: 1 Slam (US Open) record of 52-8 and 7 titles

2014- Rousey: 2 titles defences (total ring time less than 90 seconds) 1 against an Olympic silver medallist.

Its kind of apples and oranges but you get the point.

Whether she is the best female athlete in the world is entirely opinion based but i think you would have to agree she has a fair argument on her side.

MMA and tennis journalist asks whether Rousey deserved to beat Williams (he thinks she didn't):
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/1...ams-greatest-female-athlete-mma-tennis-racism

I didn't read this before but just did... This is an offensively bad article all round.

Williams has had to put up with accusations of PED's (like pretty much every other dominant sportsperson) racial slurs and prejudice (no arguing that one but i doubt it affects her popularity, Odell Beckham and Stephen Curry won Espys this year too) and being called "masculine" "butch" etc (Ronda has the same things said about her, she even responded to them in her embedded video last week, operational hazard of being a female athlete unfortunately).

Fair play if you wanna say Serena is the better athlete/sportsperson/whatever but cliched bulls**t excuses like this are the weakest possible argument.

On top of that we talk about Ronda having no competition but why is she held to such an exacting standard here. I have mentioned before that dominant champions tend to make us forget how good their opponents were (i referenced it specifically with regards to Jon Jones) but its also not like Serena had to deal with the golden age of womens tennis in terms of her opponents. The public has lamented for years the lack of quality on the womens tour. Serena is an all time great for being so dominant against average competition yet Ronda is marked harder for it? How does that make sense.

Anyway, back on track, its cool to think/believe there are better athletes than Ronda and your (BradWCE) reasons are all solid even if i dont agree with them but this hack writers reasons are absolutely pathetic and have zero credibility.

I didn't read this before but just did... This is an offensively bad article all round.

Williams has had to put up with accusations of PED's (like pretty much every other dominant sportsperson) racial slurs and prejudice (no arguing that one but i doubt it affects her popularity, Odell Beckham and Stephen Curry won Espys this year too) and being called "masculine" "butch" etc (Ronda has the same things said about her, she even responded to them in her embedded video last week, operational hazard of being a female athlete unfortunately).

Fair play if you wanna say Serena is the better athlete/sportsperson/whatever but cliched bulls**t excuses like this are the weakest possible argument.

On top of that we talk about Ronda having no competition but why is she held to such an exacting standard here. I have mentioned before that dominant champions tend to make us forget how good their opponents were (i referenced it specifically with regards to Jon Jones) but its also not like Serena had to deal with the golden age of womens tennis in terms of her opponents. The public has lamented for years the lack of quality on the womens tour. Serena is an all time great for being so dominant against average competition yet Ronda is marked harder for it? How does that make sense.

Anyway, back on track, its cool to think/believe there are better athletes than Ronda and your (BradWCE) reasons are all solid even if i dont agree with them but this hack writers reasons are absolutely pathetic and have zero credibility.

Struck a nerve phantom? :p

lol this thread still going ? i was listening ti the CME Podcast and they brought up a great point, if GSP nailed all in opponents in the first round like Rousey how much pressure would there of been on him to go to 185. another point made was the mma community bagged mayweather for dodging Manny all those years but defends Rhonda til the end of the earth. just things I have noticed doing the rounds

I could argue with quite a bit of this, but I'll just say one thing. You doubt racism affects her popularity? Lol, okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Struck a nerve phantom? :p

Just an awful article

I could argue with quite a bit of this, but I'll just say one thing. You doubt racism affects her popularity? Lol, okay.

Considering she won the espy female athlete of the year twice prior. Not to mention the volume of black athletes that have won the same popularity awards previously yeh, I do doubt it affects her broad popularity. Gonna be plenty of reasons Ronda would be unpopular (marginal violent sport, arrogance, plenty of remarkably bad soundbites, history or recreational drug use). Serena is very popular in spite of the racism she would have no doubt suffered, to say she lost the award to Ronda due to lack of popularity caused by racism is a stupid, lazy argument.

Williams won 3 grand slams in the period that the award is for and Rousey won two fights. I don't think Rousey winning makes any sense, but that's just me. I'm done with this now.

That's fine, I disagree but that's a fair point. As I said all along, your points are all fair and I'm not arguing with them at all.

That's fine, I disagree but that's a fair point. As I said all along, your points are all fair and I'm not arguing with them at all.
I just wanna point out Williams is in a far more competitive sport thats been around for a long time, its a stupid yankie award anyways lol.

I appreciate the step up in production in the last few UFC events but its becoming painful to watch how they are trying to mainstream the sport
Taking all the good s**t out to appeal to wider audience is BS

What "good s**t" has been taken out recently, in your opinion?

The only real difference I've noticed is in some of the on-screen graphics (only on the main PPV card), which I feel is an improvement, and the removal of fighter sponsor logos, which never really made a difference to my viewing experience.

The only real difference I've noticed is in some of the on-screen graphics (only on the main PPV card), which I feel is an improvement, and the removal of fighter sponsor logos, which never really made a difference to my viewing experience.

Recently we have had people kicked out and banned just for negative comments about the Reebok deal.
Its all becoming very PC, streamlined, censored, sterile, devoid of character........Just like the AFL in the last 10 years.
Mass appeal = mass $

Recently we have had people kicked out and banned just for negative comments about the Reebok deal.
Its all becoming very PC, streamlined, censored, sterile, devoid of character........Just like the AFL in the last 10 years.
Mass appeal = mass $

How does having a different cutman at the events affect your viewing experience and make a UFC event "painful to watch", "sterile" or "devoid of character"?

Sponsor logos being gone makes no difference to me regarding how the fighters look. The removal of any individuality does though. Black with white shorts vs white with black shorts is boring and makes it difficult to tell some random prelim fighters apart. Gone are the days when fighters had shorts that added something, from Anderson Silva's yellow and black ones to Cro Cop's with red and white. I wouldn't go as far as benchwarmer, but this is the removal of some good s**t if you ask me.

How does having a different cutman at the events affect your viewing experience and make a UFC event "painful to watch", "sterile" or "devoid of character"?

It could be the start of the rot...
UFC 189 was the best ever IMO so my earlier comment was more a concern I have going forward based on the direction it seems to have started going down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back