UFC 193 - Fight Week!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Ronda Rousey, but her gameplan was stupid. She looked terrible compared to Holm, who did everything right. Major props to her. Ronda will feel like s**t, but I'm sure she'll bounce back.

Stop the common sense and join in on the faux outrage!

Agree with everything you said though, perfectly executed gameplan and was great to watch.

I loved seeing Rousey get knocked out. I can't stand everything about her except for what she does in the cage. And the hyperbole has to be gone now. Awesome. "Once in human history". I don't think so.

Jedrzejczyk looked great. Letourneau's too tough for her own good. She stayed in there for all 5 rounds and put up a fight, but she was getting beat up bad.

Loved seeing Hunt and Whittaker win too.

Absolutely brutal.

1519555287483273391.jpg

203_Ronda_Rousey_vs_Holly_Holm_1_.0.0.jpg

The fight that was so boring and lacking even really a single highlight they didn't even bother to interview the winner?
Yep, wasnt a great way to set the tone for the rest of the card in the main event telecast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man that was an incredible day! I'm so glad I went, and I'm so happy that I dropped 3hunj on the P2 floor seats. I got really, really lucky with mine. With the way the seats were set up around the octagon, I was about 50 metres back from the cage, and I was in the 3rd row of the 2nd bay - but there was really no one between me and the cage, I was looking straight up the aisle way.

Which was excellent, until Rousey/Holm, when security decided they were too interested in the fight to actually do their ******* job, so there were people standing/kneeling in the aisle. I would've been pretty dirty if I'd paid 500 and not been able to see because people who paid less than me were standing in the way.

The "Undertaker guy"? That was me after the fight. There were people jumping around, throwing beer in the air, there was one girl near my crying her eyes out... but I just stood there in shock. I haven't re-watched the fight yet - but that wasn't the Rousey I've come to love. Either the weight cut got her, the media commitments got her... or - and this is my actual suspicion - she got rocked pretty early in the first round and she never recovered. She looked incredibly slow for most of the fight, and she had chances to throw Holm that she wasn't really able to take.

The more I watched Jedrezcyk in the lead up to the event, the more I came to love her. And I really, really enjoyed her performance today... but in watching it, I thought "why must Australians embarrass us at every opportunity?" This reminded me of going to Real Madrid and Manchester City earlier this year when Ronaldo got subbed off... so the crowd started throwing paper planes. This crowd was only there for Rousey, so rather than enjoying a really good, technical match, and rather than enjoying Letourneau fight her arse off... they started doing a Mexican ******* wave. I cringed with shame and embarrassment.

Between that and the "Aussie Aussie Aussie" s**t, I was thinking "why can't we have nice things? Like class, respect, and brains?"

Some other quick observations:
- nice work VicPol on the warnings about extra security... there was pretty much none.
- Uriah Hall is such a douchebag. At least the ref didn't call a time out the second time he got punched flush in the eye and tried to claim a poke.
- I was close enough to hear Sobota scream when Noke kicked him, and it was awesome :D
- Buffer is a dude. Most of the people around the cage were only going to the VIP area to say hello to people, Buffer went and said hello to heaps of people.
- I'm surprised to read that Rogan was apparently bagging the crowd during Struve/Rosholt - that match was arse, by far and away the worst of the day.
- I even nailed it with the train! Got the shock out of my system, got up to Spencer St, walked straight onto a train as it was about to pull away!
- Finally, I'm calling bullshit on 56k. I'm pretty good at guessing attendances as the various grounds and arenas in Melbourne and yes, it was hard to guesstimate because of the chairs on the floor - but the top level was only about one-third full, and the second level wouldn't have been three-quarters full. Maaaaaybe there was 50k there - but I doubt it.

Some of RR's opponents in the past didn't fight smart. One who immediately tried a takedown and was pinned in seconds. That has to be taken into account when looking at her great record of early wins.
You mean Zingano running at Rousey with a flying knee? Unless you're talking about another fight.

Even though everyone has fought her unintelligently, they didn't really have the style to do what Holm did. None of Rousey's previous opponents had the ability to keep Rousey at range like Holm did.

I just got home, collected on Holly as well. I unabashedly love Ronda but she looked sapped at weigh ins, she also fought stupidly, although Holly even won the only clinch exchange they had. Ronda has awful stand up (im sure i have said at some point that she had good stand up, i was wrong). Holly fought smart and everyone saying she doesn't have KO power... well, that was wrong.

Total thoughts for the day

- Multi on Nguyen-Rosholt-Whittaker was money
- Overall card was pretty solid, only two poor fights
- Richie Walsh lacks star power
- I love Dan Kelly
- Jake Matthews is Australias best title prospect
- The crowd sucked attendence wise (top deck was maybe 1/3 full)
- The crowd sucked (uneducated and booing pretty much everything that was a wild exchange)
- Whittaker was money and Hall is never going to put it altogether and realise his potential
- JJ v Latourneau was awesome
- Holly is a beast and Ronda fought dumb
- Crowd reaction (including mine) at Ronda was awesome
- I hope they come back to Melbourne

Final one
- My mates cageside said Dana was bailing out before Holly left and looked stressed out, UFC's golden goose got KTFO and he is scrambling for a marketing plan
- Holm v Cyborg, dooooo it.

Uriah Hall is such a douchebag. At least the ref didn't call a time out the second time he got punched flush in the eye and tried to claim a poke.
Was it a knuckle that got him in the eye? I don't really know if it was or not since I've completely forgotten just about everything that happened after seeing Holm do what she did. But if it was, I've heard that a lot of the time a knuckle can feel like a poke. So, maybe being a bit harsh here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back